Quick Question Thread

5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

My sister in law has moved her yoga teaching to YouTube. On one hand I could show support by watching and subscribing, but on the other, even for a part-blood Fifer, watching my brother’s Mrs wriggle about In her living room wearing  not much is confusing. I have stepped well away. Is that the right thing to do or should I just leave a “wid” in the comments section?

Watching your sister in-law wiggle about doing yoga- is that upward facing dog-ging?

Watching Lady Jane Grey documentary on BBC. They have Edward VI portrayed as wearing a Lion Rampant, at least half a century before the Union of the Crowns and over 170 years before the Act of Union.

I can't find any reference to it being anything other than a Scottish symbol, so why would an English monarch be wearing it? Have the BBC just got it wrong?

Screenshot_20200325-001441_BBC iPlayer.jpg

12 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Watching Lady Jane Grey documentary on BBC. They have Edward VI portrayed as wearing a Lion Rampant, at least half a century before the Union of the Crowns and over 170 years before the Act of Union.

I can't find any reference to it being anything other than a Scottish symbol, so why would an English monarch be wearing it? Have the BBC just got it wrong?

Screenshot_20200325-001441_BBC iPlayer.jpg

That's a lion rampant with the french fleur-de-lys on it which is purely the Scottish royal family coat of arms. 

AFAIK he didn't have any claim to the throne of Scotland although his auntie was married to James IV.  Not like the BBC to get things wrong given that they have researchers although sometimes the ignorance of Scottish history is staggering. 

For the Excel gurus amongst us:

I currently have a chart with a logarithmic x-axis in which there is a big difference between 10-1000 and 1000-10,000 (black text).  However, what I want is for the spacing from 10-1000 to be the same as 1000-10,000, as I have drawn over the top in green text. 

Capture.JPG.bfdb24978d19db2803c40914ae078a76.JPG

Can the desired green option be done in Excel (and if so so, how)?  I've played around with the various values with no success. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

For the Excel gurus amongst us:

I currently have a chart with a logarithmic x-axis in which there is a big difference between 10-1000 and 1000-10,000 (black text).  However, what I want is for the spacing from 10-1000 to be the same as 1000-10,000, as I have drawn over the top in green text. 

Capture.JPG.bfdb24978d19db2803c40914ae078a76.JPG

Can the desired green option be done in Excel (and if so so, how)?  I've played around with the various values with no success. 

Is it the base that’s wrong? Change it to 10?

1 minute ago, mathematics said:

10^1-10^3 vs 10^3-10^4.

log(10^1)-log(10^3) vs log(10^3)-log(10^4)

1-3 vs 3-4

different lengths

That probably answers my question then (i.e. it can't  :()

I'm just trying to recreate a plot from a paper that has the following in it.

Capture2.JPG.a178c14034b35e975b764b3b7e9f6952.JPG

Cheers.