Quick Question Thread

47 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I blame the staff (apart from the advert wifie obviously).

I refuse to use Trivago simply because of that overly smug bint of an advert lady.

In fact, I'm considering boycotting Australia over it too.  

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Random question.

If i wanted a flight out of Glasgow or Edinburgh on Saturday, returning on Monday - to pretty much any destination - what website would be the best to get a good deal?

We don't care about where we're going, but it needs to be a flight on Saturday returning on Monday, at a reasonable time.

My initial Google search hasn't been fruitfil, but maybe there's no good deals to be had like this.

Sounds like an alibi being set up...

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

Previous draws have no effect on the odds of the current one. The odds against tossing a coin ten times in a row and getting heads every time (assuming an ordinary coin) are fairly small; I could work it out but can't be arsed. But if you've got nine heads in a row the odds on the tenth one being heads are still 50/50.

So you're still on a 15 million to one shot on every draw.

15 million to one sounds like the odds of me winning the Edinburgh City half time draw...!

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I got a 10 in a row from just 30 flips (streak started from #20-#30).  I changed the height/power of the flip each time.  At one point it ended up in the bin (evidently a 1/146 chance).

Serious business this.

If this is you wanting to become a professional referee then I would suggest you have over practiced the start of the game and you need to do more work on everything else.

I read a story about a statistics professor who on the first class of each year would tell his students to toss a coin 200 times and write H or T on a piece of paper for the results.

The next lesson he would flick through the homework and usually call out about a fifth of the names. He then told them that they didn't actually do the homework and instead just wrote a list of 200 Hs and Ts.

Statistically, if you toss a coin 200 times there's a 98% (or something similarly high) chance of tossing seven heads or seven tails in a row. When we try to write a random binary list we rarely have more than four of one kind in a row.

(I think I read this in Nate Silver's book The Signal and the Noise, which is quite good if you want an easy and relatable introduction to practical applications of statistical predictions.)

Why is it that Gail McGrane's sole annual Reporting Scotland appearance is always the 14th February?

It's as if the entirety of the fittest news team in the history of national TV has been whisked away for a long weekend of... well, you know.

8 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I read a story about a statistics professor who on the first class of each year would tell his students to toss a coin 200 times and write H or T on a piece of paper for the results.

The next lesson he would flick through the homework and usually call out about a fifth of the names. He then told them that they didn't actually do the homework and instead just wrote a list of 200 Hs and Ts.

Statistically, if you toss a coin 200 times there's a 98% (or something similarly high) chance of tossing seven heads or seven tails in a row. When we try to write a random binary list we rarely have more than four of one kind in a row.

(I think I read this in Nate Silver's book The Signal and the Noise, which is quite good if you want an easy and relatable introduction to practical applications of statistical predictions.)

I'm sure many of you have encountered the Monty Hall Problem. Lies, damned lies and statistics.