Quick Question Thread

9 minutes ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

All emails sent from work to myself keep going to my spam folder. I can’t seem to change this and as usual any google online “help” tool is fucking useless. It’s a gmail account. 

Whenever you open a spam email, there's a big button that says REPORT NOT SPAM. What you described happened to me before, and after a few "NOT SPAM" clicks, Gmail eventually got the message. 

Also, it's worth going into your settings, then [Filters and Blocked Addresses] and making sure that you haven't somehow got a filter set up to block your work emails (like I have for The Gift Experience below)

image.thumb.png.d84d2ee3572d2c2e61251027cf047b5e.png

I have my own question while I'm here. Looking at my spam folder, I've got lots of messages in my spam folder from different family and friends etc. However, the email addresses are completely different, and it's quite obviously spam. They're all in the same format. But does this my gmail has been hacked somehow, i.e. it's got a list of my contacts and is now pretending to send me messages from them. I don't see how else it could get a list of my friends, but on the other hand, I've no other indication my account has been hacked. 

21 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Whenever you open a spam email, there's a big button that says REPORT NOT SPAM. What you described happened to me before, and after a few "NOT SPAM" clicks, Gmail eventually got the message. 

Also, it's worth going into your settings, then [Filters and Blocked Addresses] and making sure that you haven't somehow got a filter set up to block your work emails (like I have for The Gift Experience below)

image.thumb.png.d84d2ee3572d2c2e61251027cf047b5e.png

I have my own question while I'm here. Looking at my spam folder, I've got lots of messages in my spam folder from different family and friends etc. However, the email addresses are completely different, and it's quite obviously spam. They're all in the same format. But does this my gmail has been hacked somehow, i.e. it's got a list of my contacts and is now pretending to send me messages from them. I don't see how else it could get a list of my friends, but on the other hand, I've no other indication my account has been hacked. 

In my case, I think I have sorted it. I’ve added the email addresses to the relevant contacts on my address book on my phone. I think if they are linked then it should be known not to be spam of it’s from a direct contact I’ve added. There’s only three I need for work but could be a pain in the arse if you need to add loads. 

42 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

You can check here:

https://haveibeenpwned.com

It could be that someone else who shares a lot of contacts with you has been compromised and their address book harvested to generate lots of slightly convincing spam.

Just checked and apparently I've been 'pwned' seven times in the last few years. 

Not really any the wiser about  what damage has been done, but at least I've learned a new word. 

2 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Yep. Same password for nearly everything for as long as I can remember.

Just laziness really. 

I'm slightly less lazy by just using the first and last letter of the website with the same word I've chosen in the middle. Never been pwned so far as I know. 

2 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Just checked and apparently I've been 'pwned' seven times in the last few years. 

Not really any the wiser about  what damage has been done, but at least I've learned a new word. 

14 for me, plus 2 "pastes" :) 

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

All of mine are long strings of random characters generated by keepass. I had to phone up when I moved house and sort out moving my internet and the guy was like "OK for security purposes can you give me the 4th and 9th letters of your password" and I said no, my PC is in a van and it's not a memorable password. He went "fair enough" and just pretended I had given him the right answer!

Image result for tin foil hat"

On 03/02/2020 at 10:29, bernardblack said:

How can home insurance cover water leakage but not pipe repair? Surely the pipe is causing the leak and hence will need repairing?

Is it a lead pipe by any chance? I went through the exact same thing, insurance said that as the pipe was lead and due to its age the leak was caused by "wear and tear" and thus nobody was at fault. Cost me the excess on my policy.

I hope you've got your actual leak sorted if not the damage caused by it yet, I ended up out of my house for 3 and a half months (long story but basically the bint up stairs never got the leak fixed for weeks and caused horrendous damage to my flat and the one below me), and my advice would be stay on top of the person in charge of your claim - don't let a day pass where you aren't asking them what's happening. I was a bit naive as I hadn't dealt with an insurance claim before, but essentially I handed over my keys and about 4 weeks later went round to check on the progress they were making to find that absolutely nobody had even visited my house let alone started repairing it. 

Guest bernardblack

Is it a lead pipe by any chance? I went through the exact same thing, insurance said that as the pipe was lead and due to its age the leak was caused by "wear and tear" and thus nobody was at fault. Cost me the excess on my policy.
I hope you've got your actual leak sorted if not the damage caused by it yet, I ended up out of my house for 3 and a half months (long story but basically the bint up stairs never got the leak fixed for weeks and caused horrendous damage to my flat and the one below me), and my advice would be stay on top of the person in charge of your claim - don't let a day pass where you aren't asking them what's happening. I was a bit naive as I hadn't dealt with an insurance claim before, but essentially I handed over my keys and about 4 weeks later went round to check on the progress they were making to find that absolutely nobody had even visited my house let alone started repairing it. 

Yeah it’s a lead pipe, but the house is only four years old so they haven’t put it down as wear and tear.

Building and house insurance is all with one company so fighting a battle with them right now. Perhaps it’s best to keep them separate moving forward?

The leak is fixed thanks, was a helluva weekend!

3 minutes ago, bernardblack said:

Yeah it’s a lead pipe, but the house is only four years old so they haven’t put it down as wear and tear.

Building and house insurance is all with one company so fighting a battle with them right now. Perhaps it’s best to keep them separate moving forward?

The leak is fixed thanks, was a helluva weekend!

I was just about to ask this...

Just now, supermik said:

How does a four year old house have a lead pipe in it?

How is that possible? :lol:

Glad you've got it fixed but I'd be having a word with your house builder if you bought it new, 4 years ago with lead piping...

Guest bernardblack
How is that possible? :lol:
Glad you've got it fixed but I'd be having a word with your house builder if you bought it new, 4 years ago with lead piping...

Tbh I’ve no idea. Copper probably [emoji23]

4 hours ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

Yep. Same password for nearly everything for as long as I can remember.

Just laziness really. 

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Aaaaaagghhh!!!

That won't work, there has to be at least one digit.

7 hours ago, supermik said:

How does a four year old house have a lead pipe in it?

If the house is four years old  (I.e a new build) it won't have a lead pipe in it, lead pipe hasn't been produced or used in over 40 years, there are still plenty instances of it in older properties but, if your house is genuinely four years old and someone has said you have a lead pipe in it or an incoming lead water main they are pulling your plonker.