Quick Question Thread

34 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Have been doing my family tree for a while, and recently found this chap. Just wondering what the f**k he has got on his head. 

So far, all I can think of is that Stephen Hunt has a time machine, and kneed him in the head. 

AM.png

It's either a masonic chapeaux or he was a member of the 13th Waffen Mountain Division of the SS Handschar 

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

What's the best snooker club in Dundee?

We went to a new one last night and it was really good. Can't remember the name of it but just wondering what the top club is in terms of quality.

Depends what you're after, if you're looking for peace and quiet then that rules out Tivoli, Olde Mill and Shotz. 

Where was the new one, out of interest? 

Have been doing my family tree for a while, and recently found this chap. Just wondering what the f**k he has got on his head. 
So far, all I can think of is that Stephen Hunt has a time machine, and kneed him in the head. 
AM.png.3223360440f2cafbeed2105b7368e9a4.png
Looks like it's a Masonic Fez. Screenshot_20191211-183339_Google.jpeg

Looks like the Shriners logo.

3 hours ago, scrooge1928 said:
10 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Looks like the Shriners logo.

In the past, Shriners have practiced hazing rituals as a part of initiating new members: in 1991, a would-be Shriner sued the Oleika Shrine Temple of Lexington, Kentucky over injuries suffered during the hazing, which included being blindfolded and having a jolt of electricity applied to his bare buttocks.

I wondered why you were walking funny the other day, Scrooge... 

Depends what you're after, if you're looking for peace and quiet then that rules out Tivoli, Olde Mill and Shotz. 
Where was the new one, out of interest? 
It was Tivoli - I just meant new to me and my mate.

So is that the total then, three clubs?

Tivoli is much, much better than shotz (I've never seen so many ripped cloths in all my life).

Can't really remember olde mill but we played there a few times, and didn't get the impression it was any good. Looks like Tivoli is the best club.

What did you mean about peace and quiet? I've never seen any bother at any of them but shotz has that atmosphere that tells you a stabbing could break out any minute.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

So is that the total then, three clubs?

Tivoli is much, much better than shotz (I've never seen so many ripped cloths in all my life).

What did you mean about peace and quiet? I've never seen any bother at any of them but shotz has that atmosphere that tells you a stabbing could break out at any time

No, there's quite a few more clubs in Dundee - the three I mentioned are the ones I usually go to. Tivoli a and Shotz are easy for me after work. Olde Mill I'm fairly regular in but used to be my second home. :lol:

Peace and quiet as in to get the heid down and just play snooker, Mill is boisterous and a brilliant laugh but folk can hate how noisy it gets. 

Aye, Shotz is an absolute toilet. You probably get that feeling because of where it's situated. One of the worst streets in Dundee for drugs and robbings.

On 11/12/2019 at 22:42, GordonD said:

Fezzes.jpg

I did a wee bit of research recently into the Rechabites (a temperance movement of the mid 19th Century. Banks o' Dee Juniors were originally a Rechabite club although that didn't last long...!). The Rechabites in the Bible were known as "The Sons of the Desert". 

I think Prohibition was just ending as Stan and Ollie made that film and as the Sons of the Desert fraternity in the film were definitely not a temperance society I wonder if the writers were taking the piss out of the Rechabites. 

171959414_sonsofthedesert.jpg.b551c8f17c456b90ac6c693149e538d5.jpg

Cheers! 

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I did a wee bit of research recently into the Rechabites (a temperance movement of the mid 19th Century. Banks o' Dee Juniors were originally a Rechabite club although that didn't last long...!). The Rechabites in the Bible were known as "The Sons of the Desert". 

I think Prohibition was just ending as Stan and Ollie made that film and as the Sons of the Desert fraternity in the film were definitely not a temperance society I wonder if the writers were taking the piss out of the Rechabites. 

Sounds possible...

As for Banks o'Dee originally being a temperance club, that reminds me of the aftermath to Stirling Albion's 20-0 cup win over Selkirk. Alick Milne was the Meadowbank programme editor at the time and did a wee bit of research into cup victories by twenty or more. They were all in the 19th century, IIRC, and one of the teams that got hammered was Greenock Abstainers. Alick's comment was that with a name like that they probably couldn't raise a full team.