Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

What's the emergency? What if there is a fire in the room your house phone is in? default_wink.png

Still can't think of a single decent reason why you'd need a house phone other than those living in the wilderness.

In any sustained power outage a landline phone would be far more useful

What's the emergency? What if there is a fire in the room your house phone is in? default_wink.png

That's what extensions are for.

Still can't think of a single decent reason why you'd need a house phone other than those living in the wilderness.

You mean, apart from usage of the internet, places where you can't get a mobile signal, people who don't have a mobile, times when your mobile's battery is flat and avoiding a delay on international calls, why have a house phone?

You mean, apart from usage of the internet, places where you can't get a mobile signal, people who don't have a mobile, times when your mobile's battery is flat and avoiding a delay on international calls, why have a house phone?

- I didn't know house phones got internet access ;)

- Wilderness I've conceded

- Oddballs

- Keep it charged, preferably by buying a decent phone and not be an Apple drone

- Reverse the charges or get them to phone you back

I'm not convinced, my man.

On 14/10/2019 at 02:59, GordonD said:

That's what extensions are for.

I get 1000 free international minutes on my mobile phone plan and there is never a delay on the line when I regularly phone home. Only time I get a delay is if I'm calling on an app using internet like Messenger, and it's a massive pain in the arse.

Did anybody have a shared phone line? I used to have one and it was a pain waiting for the other person to finish their call before I could use the phone. The fact that you could listen in to their call didn’t make it any easier, had my own problems to think about without listening to some old biddy complaining about their sore arm or their milk not being delivered.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

Did anybody have a shared phone line? I used to have one and it was a pain waiting for the other person to finish their call before I could use the phone. The fact that you could listen in to their call didn’t make it any easier, had my own problems to think about without listening to some old biddy complaining about their sore arm or their milk not being delivered.

I bet you were right on the case when they got a call to say the cheese was delivered though!

12 hours ago, supermik said:

What age are you?  When we moved to Motherwell in about 1967 my parents had a shared phone line for about 2 or 3 years.

In my work we have a few teams that are almost exclusively made up of Indian people.  I've noticed a few times that when filling up their water bottles from the water dispenser, they do it about 3/4 to the top and then fill the rest up with boiling water from the urn.  Is this a cultural thing?  It seems like a strange thing to do.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

In my work we have a few teams that are almost exclusively made up of Indian people.  I've noticed a few times that when filling up their water bottles from the water dispenser, they do it about 3/4 to the top and then fill the rest up with boiling water from the urn.  Is this a cultural thing?  It seems like a strange thing to do.

Better for your stomach.

51 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

It's maybe a bit like a hotel buffet breakfast and they're just larging it up, going for both the cold and hot water? 

9 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is not because a lot of water in India is minging (you're apparently always told to only drink unopened bottler water if you visit) and so they think the boiling water will help sterilise the rest, and as such it's a habit?