Quick Question Thread

Please no moralising on the situation but have a quick query. Hypothetically if a friend was stuck in traffic not moving and needed to text his boss to tell him he was late, and some creep in the lane next to him starts videoing him with their dash cam, can he be pulled up for it at all if they report him? Surely leaning forward fiddling with a dash cam is more distracting anyway than sending a quick text?

Please no moralising on the situation but have a quick query. Hypothetically if a friend was stuck in traffic not moving and needed to text his boss to tell him he was late, and some creep in the lane next to him starts videoing him with their dash cam, can he be pulled up for it at all if they report him? Surely leaning forward fiddling with a dash cam is more distracting anyway than sending a quick text?
Seems dubious that you would be allowed to deliberately use your dashcam to point into the face of, and identify someone and what they were doing in their car.

I understand they can be used for footage of driving but I doubt that falls within whats legal. Could be wrong like but sounds pretty ropey.

1 hour ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

I can't see the police bothering with it unless it went viral on youtube and the press picked up on it, which sounds unlikely. And if it was the driver fiddling with the dash cam rather than a passenger he's as likely to get a warning as your friend.

Would they even be able to identify you him? Presumably the creep hasn't been able to film the number plate.

"caught wanking in the traffic jam" type post imo

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Would they even be able to identify you him? Presumably the creep hasn't been able to film the number plate.

Yeah because they were barely moving for ages and my mate’s lane eventually went ahead I have no doubt he was able to video the reg at some point.

Guy looked like a total gimp, probably bullied in school. Or could’ve been an off duty police officer in which case definitely bullied in school. Had a private reg too, wee weasel of a guy.

34 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Yeah because they were barely moving for ages and my mate’s lane eventually went ahead I have no doubt he was able to video the reg at some point.

Guy looked like a total gimp, probably bullied in school. Or could’ve been an off duty police officer in which case definitely bullied in school. Had a private reg too, wee weasel of a guy.

I guy got done in Aberdeen a few years back, using his laptop at the traffic lights. He was caught by a cyclist.

No, I found the link and it is much worse....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/video-catches-driver-using-laptop-mobile-phone-and-headphones-while-driving-in-aberdeen-10034474.html%3famp

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I guy got done in Aberdeen a few years back, using his laptop at the traffic lights. He was caught by a cyclist.

No, I found the link and it is much worse....

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/video-catches-driver-using-laptop-mobile-phone-and-headphones-while-driving-in-aberdeen-10034474.html%3famp

That's the equivalent of Jimmy Saville being caught by Michael Jackson... 

Assuming there was no reaction from the driver and it was all over in seconds, I’d expect the police would give the driver a caution at most - and probably the same for the dash cam grass.

@Zen Archer Esq. 

Noisy pipes after water has been turned off to fit new kitchen sink.

Same thing happened earlier in year after water off for a couple of days after new bathroom. Cannae mind how i fixed it.

When i look online for solution it just tells me about water hammer. Im pretty sure its not that as its not just when tap is turned off.

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

@Zen Archer Esq. 

Noisy pipes after water has been turned off to fit new kitchen sink.

Same thing happened earlier in year after water off for a couple of days after new bathroom. Cannae mind how i fixed it.

When i look online for solution it just tells me about water hammer. Im pretty sure its not that as its not just when tap is turned off.

Sometimes it could be a ballcock filling up that can cause it, mainly in cold water tanks, WC's not so much.

In a cold water tank a wave action is created and the ball float starts oscillating causing the valve to open and close rapidly hence the pipework will 'hammer'

Another cause could be the mains stop valve (screw down valve) with a loose jumper, this houses the washer and sometimes oscillates creating 'hammer'

5 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Sometimes it could be a ballcock filling up that can cause it, mainly in cold water tanks, WC's not so much.

In a cold water tank a wave action is created and the ball float starts oscillating causing the valve to open and close rapidly hence the pipework will 'hammer'

Another cause could be the mains stop valve (screw down valve) with a loose jumper, this houses the washer and sometimes oscillates creating 'hammer'

Aye but what fixes it? I think last time i tried running all taps for 10 minutes. Then i switched off water opened them all tolet air in/out and then turned it on. I also think i turned pressure down.

TBH it may have just sorted itself out over time. 

5 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Aye but what fixes it? I think last time i tried running all taps for 10 minutes. Then i switched off water opened them all tolet air in/out and then turned it on. I also think i turned pressure down.

TBH it may have just sorted itself out over time. 

If it's the cold water tank, take the lid off and see what's happening, if so, reducing the flow by turning down the valve could help, then hold down the ball float and fill the tank to the normal level and allow it to shut off on it's own.

The stop valve may need repaired, sometimes footering with it, open up or closing down slightly could remedy the issue.