Quick Question Thread

I should probably have said that they're all dry now, but still stuck. I don't think it helped that they were jammed in like sardines, so the pressure of decades will have taken their toll too.

Lots of cards of footballers that I've never heard of. Might scan some salvageable ones so @Granny Dangercan take a trip down memory lane.

30 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I should probably have said that they're all dry now, but still stuck. I don't think it helped that they were jammed in like sardines, so the pressure of decades will have taken their toll too.

Lots of cards of footballers that I've never heard of. Might scan some salvageable ones so @Granny Dangercan take a trip down memory lane.

I can barely remember the players who play for us now.  :(

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just been given an old biscuit tin full of cigarette cards from the start of the 20th century. Only problem is that it's obviously been stored somewhere very damp for a long time, as the tin was so rusty that it fell apart in my hands, and a lot of the cards are solidly stuck together in clumps. Naturally, they're delicate considering their age, so does anyone have any suggestions about how to separate them with the minimum of damage? Thought about steaming them apart, but I've seen sticking them in the freezer suggested...

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Experiment with a small bundle in the microwave, 10 secs at a time.

Curiously that random suggestion of mine might not be totally daft, but maybe your cards could be from the wrong century. Worth a go.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

You should contact Gilbert Ratchet from Viz who should be able to knock you together a fag-card-separater-ometer. 

9 hours ago, Dee Man said:

You should contact Gilbert Ratchet from Viz who should be able to knock you together a fag-card-separater-ometer. 

Careful though - his fees can be a bit high.

Gilbert Ratchet.JPG

12 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Just been given an old biscuit tin full of cigarette cards from the start of the 20th century. Only problem is that it's obviously been stored somewhere very damp for a long time, as the tin was so rusty that it fell apart in my hands, and a lot of the cards are solidly stuck together in clumps. Naturally, they're delicate considering their age, so does anyone have any suggestions about how to separate them with the minimum of damage? Thought about steaming them apart, but I've seen sticking them in the freezer suggested...

I accidentally dropped a large wad of Mexico 86 stickers (in a plastic wallet) down a drain on my way to school one day. If they wash up in Alloa let me know.

2 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Can anyone recommend any decent car dealerships in the Edinburgh West Lothian area? I'm looking for somewhere that won't rip me off and that preferably isn't Arnold Clark.

Depends what you are looking for but I got a decent service from Macklin Motors.

Long shot, but does anyone know when the dragon statue in Dundee was erected? Also, I'm not sure if it's a pisstake, but originally when built, there was a wee button under its chin that made the dragon produce a small flame to light your cigarette. Surely that's shite?

Can anyone recommend any decent car dealerships in the Edinburgh West Lothian area? I'm looking for somewhere that won't rip me off and that preferably isn't Arnold Clark.
New or used?

I used Woods West Calder a few times for a used car and routine maintenance and servicing back when I lived in Livingston but that was about 15 years ago so they may not exist or be different now. Also had fairly good service from MRL in Broxburn? Possibly.....

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Long shot, but does anyone know when the dragon statue in Dundee was erected? Also, I'm not sure if it's a pisstake, but originally when built, there was a wee button under its chin that made the dragon produce a small flame to light your cigarette. Surely that's shite?

from what info I can find online it was erected in 1993 http://www.anthonymorrow.co.uk/dragon.html

On 11/06/2019 at 09:24, Shandon Par said:

I accidentally dropped a large wad of Mexico 86 stickers (in a plastic wallet) down a drain on my way to school one day. If they wash up in Alloa let me know.

This was last week - on his way to hand them out to the kids. Yewtree have been informed...