Quick Question Thread

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'd imagine the bail costs for their drivers are particularly high.

Its operating costs are more than it collects from fares as it tries to expand into new sectors. It spends a fucking ridiculous amount on marketing. It'll probably start turning an enormous profit in the next few years when it kills regular taxi firms that it currently undercuts by around 25% - 50% (in the US anyway), and is far more convenient.

12 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

This should really go in the "Handy Hints" thread that doesn't actually exist, but I used to shun Uber but it is genuinely useful. If you have Tesco clubcard vouchers, £1 of vouchers = £3 in Uber. Not sure if it's Tesco or Uber who take the hit, but it makes taking Ubers cheaper than getting the train / bus. Also works with Megabus. 

The £5 of Tesco vouchers I usually get should see me get an Uber from Sauchiehall Street to West Street on a Friday night. Very  helpful Cardinal, thank you. 

16 hours ago, Swarley said:

Am sure I read/heard that it's all about undercutting the taxi firms until they can't compete and go bust. Uber are then the last ones standing.

Pretty much, one of my mates down here is a cab driver in London. In his first year (2014) made just short of £75,000. In fairness he was working some ridiculous hours as he was free and single to do as he pleased. 

Last year he was down to £35,000, and thinks he will be around a similar figure again this year. 

Uber charge stupidly low prices, he sent me the screenshot attached a month or two back. He said that on the meter it would cost close to £80. 

He reckons he will get another 2/3 years out of it, then will need to move on. 

Screenshot_20190512-052018_WhatsApp.jpg

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The £5 of Tesco vouchers I usually get should see me get an Uber from Sauchiehall Street to West Street on a Friday night. Very  helpful Cardinal, thank you. 

That's expensive for a journey that's entirely within the city centre...

10 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The £5 of Tesco vouchers I usually get should see me get an Uber from Sauchiehall Street to Blythswood Square on a Friday night. Very  helpful Cardinal, thank you. 

FTFY

2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

This still seems like a phenomenally risky business plan - in that it all hinges on something, which still hasn't happened, happening in the future, and nothing happening that might intervene. Given particuarly the EU's dim view of anti-competitive activity, I'm dubious. Investing now seems like total speculation.

This explains it well, I wouldn't touch their shares with a bargepole. By the time they've killed off all the competition and can raise prices enough to make a profit, robotaxis will take over and put them out of business. And I hate them on principle, killing off normal taxi firms by offering zero benefits to their drivers, or checking them out properly to keep passengers safe. https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/uber-lyft-losses-keep-competitors-at-bay-05-11-2019-184933163

I have visitors from the south coming in a couple of weeks, one of whom has never experienced the glory of proper square/lorne/slice sausage.

So a simple question to P&B - where is the best place for me to stock up on the world's greatest breakfast roll filling?

8 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have visitors from the south coming in a couple of weeks, one of whom has never experienced the glory of proper square/lorne/slice sausage.

So a simple question to P&B - where is the best place for me to stock up on the world's greatest breakfast roll filling?

Farmfoods

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Up from the south or down from the south?

A local butchers.

You see them about the streets. Roads closed as "Fire paths" ... with massive bumps to prevent anyone driving over them. Some of them bumps are so massive I doubt a fire engine could get over them. But how the hell do they prevent fires? Or are they just to stop motorists taking a handy shortcut? 

image.thumb.png.fc1761f885f594223dcae14bb1ba4907.png

You see them about the streets. Roads closed as "Fire paths" ... with massive bumps to prevent anyone driving over them. Some of them bumps are so massive I doubt a fire engine could get over them. But how the hell do they prevent fires? Or are they just to stop motorists taking a handy shortcut? 
image.thumb.png.fc1761f885f594223dcae14bb1ba4907.png

Have you, in all seriousness, just asked how a kerb stops fires?