Quick Question Thread

Seriously?!?! I might fire it up on Gumtree just to see if that happens. FFS. This country etc. 

You’ll definitely get people asking if you will deliver it, even if you state in bold font that it is pick up only and that they have to take it down 4 flights of stairs, people won’t read it properly or just try their luck.

Throbber's not the first person on here to say that they've been inundated with delivery requests for free Gumtree items. The entitlement of some people is incredible.

Just put a solid marble coffee table up online recently; I can only lift the thing in sections, and even then, they weigh a ton. Marked clearly as 'pickup only'. Going on past experience, I'm fully expecting the buyer to request delivery to Papua New Guinea, and to lose their shit when it's pointed out how much it would cost  :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, throbber said:

Thanks for this guys, think I’ll give
It a miss. Will have a garden anyway so will be able to use a washing line.

It seems you can still buy pulleys, just like granny used to use, for the 9 months when the weather's too shite to hang the washing out. 

pulley.jpg.a1aee9fb330969c212f31b477ce115f2.jpg

4 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Seriously?!?! I might fire it up on Gumtree just to see if that happens. FFS. This country etc. 

Offer it to a local charity or British Heart Foundation or something, they'll be at your door in seconds. I worked for a charity in Inverness that helped out people setting up home under difficult circumstances, and something offered that actually worked was rare. Most of the time it was shite they couldn't be arsed taking to recycling.

This reminds me of the guy who wanted to get rid of a wardrobe so he put it in his garden with a notice saying "Free- Help yourself!". It sat there for three days, so he changed the notice to read "For Sale - £10 - Please knock!" and within ten minutes it had been pinched.

Query about petrol  ...... is there any significant difference in quality between the various brands ?

eg is the Shell Premium Unleaded any better or worse than the Tesco equivalent ?

And is the Shell Premium Unleaded really much better than their plain Unleaded ?

Or is it all just a marketing con, and , in effect , you’re just paying extra for the name ?

11 minutes ago, A96 said:

Query about petrol  ...... is there any significant difference in quality between the various brands ?

eg is the Shell Premium Unleaded any better or worse than the Tesco equivalent ?

And is the Shell Premium Unleaded really much better than their plain Unleaded ?

Or is it all just a marketing con, and , in effect , you’re just paying extra for the name ?

https://www.simplemotoring.co.uk/car-fuel-types/

Offer it to a local charity or British Heart Foundation or something, they'll be at your door in seconds. I worked for a charity in Inverness that helped out people setting up home under difficult circumstances, and something offered that actually worked was rare. Most of the time it was shite they couldn't be arsed taking to recycling.
I have no idea why I didn’t contact British heart foundation. Sake.
Had no idea you had to have the fire stickers still attached and that they wouldn't take anything and everything. When we were clearing my grandparents house they had a 3 seater in excellent condition but they refused to take it purely because the fire tag thing was gone. They also refused to lift a big cabinet thing. It was very dated but again it was in great condition. Someone might have paid a couple of quid for it. They said no one buys that stuff now. Who'd have thought Charity Shops rolled with the times [emoji38]

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Had no idea you had to have the fire stickers still attached and that they wouldn't take anything and everything. When we were clearing my grandparents house they had a 3 seater in excellent condition but they refused to take it purely because the fire tag thing was gone. They also refused to lift a big cabinet thing. It was very dated but again it was in great condition. Someone might have paid a couple of quid for it. They said no one buys that stuff now. Who'd have thought Charity Shops rolled with the times emoji38.png

It's against the law to sell furniture without a fire certificate. And nobody wants these old monster cabinets, their only use is fucking the backs of the poor c***s who have to move them.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Had no idea you had to have the fire stickers still attached and that they wouldn't take anything and everything. When we were clearing my grandparents house they had a 3 seater in excellent condition but they refused to take it purely because the fire tag thing was gone. They also refused to lift a big cabinet thing. It was very dated but again it was in great condition. Someone might have paid a couple of quid for it. They said no one buys that stuff now. Who'd have thought Charity Shops rolled with the times emoji38.png

This amazed me too when I was cleaning out my mum's house. We got Shelter or some other homeless charity to come out but it turned out that homeless people would rather have nothing than have a 1970s wardrobe from MFI. I expected them to take everything. They fucked off with the sofa and that was it. I was leaving to go back to Michigan the next day so I left it essentially furnished and Someone Else's Problem.

2 minutes ago, MSU said:

This amazed me too when I was cleaning out my mum's house. We got Shelter or some other homeless charity to come out but it turned out that homeless people would rather have nothing than have a 1970s wardrobe from MFI. I expected them to take everything. They fucked off with the sofa and that was it. I was leaving to go back to Michigan the next day so I left it essentially furnished and Someone Else's Problem.

It's likely they already had a warehouse full of wardrobes to shift.

Just now, welshbairn said:

It's likely they already had a warehouse full of wardrobes to shift.

That would make sense, but the boys that came out to lift the stuff actually said that homeless people don't want that sort of stuff and then tutted in a kind of you couldn't make it up type way. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily want it either, but if it was a choice of that and f**k all, I'd probably take it. 

Just now, MSU said:

That would make sense, but the boys that came out to lift the stuff actually said that homeless people don't want that sort of stuff and then tutted in a kind of you couldn't make it up type way. I mean, I wouldn't necessarily want it either, but if it was a choice of that and f**k all, I'd probably take it. 

Just as likely they couldn't be arsed shifting it down the stairs if it was towards the end of their shift. I used to fairly regularly find an excuse not to take stuff, especially if it was a flat 4 flights up.

2 minutes ago, MSU said:

I had a similar scenario with them when I was clearing my dad's house.  He had bought this sideboard/display cabinet thing from the BHF a few years before, so I thought they would take it back and flog it again.

Two guys turned up and hummed and hawed and practically went round it kicking the tyres giving it "folk don't buy stuff like this anymore".  I wasn't in the best of moods, understandably, and asked them if they wanted it or not as I had a van outside that I could easily take it to the dump in.

They took it, but I wish I hadn't fucking bothered.

Just now, welshbairn said:

Just as likely they couldn't be arsed shifting it down the stairs if it was towards the end of their shift. I used to fairly regularly find an excuse not to take stuff, especially if it was a flat 4 flights up.

It was a Friday afternoon, right enough. 

2 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had a similar scenario with them when I was clearing my dad's house.  He had bought this sideboard/display cabinet thing from the BHF a few years before, so I thought they would take it back and flog it again.

Two guys turned up and hummed and hawed and practically went round it kicking the tyres giving it "folk don't buy stuff like this anymore".  I wasn't in the best of moods, understandably, and asked them if they wanted it or not as I had a van outside that I could easily take it to the dump in.

They took it, but I wish I hadn't fucking bothered.

I hears ya. I felt the same. If I'd known they were going to be so choosy, I'd have sorted something else out.

All this was four years ago this week. Got a call on Saturday evening from The Beatson, was on a flight on Sunday afternoon, arrived Monday morning and she passed away Tuesday lunchtime. Still feels weird not being able to give the old dear a call or chat on skype.

On ‎14‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 13:48, throbber said:

You’ll definitely get people asking if you will deliver it, even if you state in bold font that it is pick up only and that they have to take it down 4 flights of stairs, people won’t read it properly or just try their luck.

On ‎15‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:04, throbber said:

I have no idea why I didn’t contact British heart foundation. Sake.

Horsing it down 4 flights of stairs would give the BHF a few extra clients...

Mine can only take 97 RON minimum and above. Shell and BP are bloody robbers. Been using Tesco or Sainsbury's super unleaded for 4 years with no problems.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Who'd have thought Charity Shops rolled with the times emoji38.png

They're on the ball these days, particularly with things like books. After several people picked up valuable books for around 50p then flogged them for several hundred, they tend to have experts on hand to weed out the good stuff.