Quick Question Thread

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Will give this a try.

Basically find out next week what happens with my job ( again been brought forward to either a Tues-thurs).
Will either be job matched, same hours or less hours or what they call effected where I need to go through either redundancy or find another job elsewhere.
Now if all goes well n I get job matched then reality is I think I will stick with job ( even though they treat me like shit n even though I've been through this three times now) .

Anyway I've already got a job in a totally different field which I told the company I wont tell them when I can start until all this is sorted out and where I stand.

All ready did some training. If I was to tell them no sorry I cant join them , is that me basically being a bad guy ? And secondly is there anything they can do about stopping me from not starting?

Not being a bad guy G, just looking out for number 1. 

Fair play to this other company for hanging on until you make a decision. 

They or you can stop you starting at anytime if you haven't signed your contract yet.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

This company are fairly desperate for staff ( care work ). I've signed a few things but havnt said what shifts I'd do etc.
Did say I'd work 20 hours a week.
However this was until I find out what was going on with my current job.

I'd be thinking about what job you'd rather be doing, sounds like you could get as many hours as you want with the care job and Tesco are treating you like shite and you could end up on zero hours. It's hard to leap to something new from a job you know inside out in your comfort zone. Shitebag. 

The care work is 20 hours contract is what I agreed I'd do providing what happens with my Tesco job. Told them soon as I find out with Tesco I'd let them know. Been told always plenty hours with care work however with Tesco it just works ( right now anyway ) for family regarding children and not needing babysitters at all.
If I get offered a job ( tesco) that I have said the hours I can say I can do and I say no, basically means if i dont say yes i wouldn't have a job. Its balls how it's all being treated.

But aye if i decide to stay i feel I'm being awful to the other company. Just wonder can they come back at me with anything ?

Nah, they'd tell you to gtf if they found someone prettier to do the job. Nothing to worry about and if you're straight with the the care company they'll probably be happy to take you on if Tesco f**k you around again later.

5 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

A very high chance I will get fucked around again. Have went from Team leader to lose money to basically same wage as a G A as the job I still do now was graded but they they scrapped graded jobs also. Both times got protected pay and one lump sum.
This time though slightly different. Outcome unsure what way it can go. Been brought forward from next Friday so one can only presume it's going to be alright news.
Pretty pissed off about it all but just seems out of my control. Hate it

Sounds like you'd walk into a job with another supermarket chain. Tesco loyalty points don't apply to staff it appears. Are USDAW any use?

Guest Moomintroll
Sounds like you'd walk into a job with another supermarket chain. Tesco loyalty points don't apply to staff it appears. Are USDAW any use?
From personal experience on both sides of the fence, USDAW are about as useful as a roof rack on a moped.

So to conclude, I take it I find out this week, if good news with Tesco ( yeah I know but meh) I could just say to my new job , thanks but no thanks ? And they couldn't really do anything about it?

You might have to hand back your sexy nurse outfit if they gave you one. Just tell them you don't know wtf is going on with Tesco and you'll let them know as soon as you do.

So to conclude, I take it I find out this week, if good news with Tesco ( yeah I know but meh) I could just say to my new job , thanks but no thanks ? And they couldn't really do anything about it?

I’d imagine they would take up a lengthy & costly litigation process against you. [emoji4]

As long as you’re being honest with them & keeping them updated as & when you get further information, I’m sure they’ll see you in a good light. It’ll be c***s that say they are definitely taking a job & back out last minute / don’t inform the potential new employer, that will be viewed badly, IMVHO.

On 05/04/2019 at 23:30, G_Man1985 said:

The care work is 20 hours contract is what I agreed I'd do providing what happens with my Tesco job. Told them soon as I find out with Tesco I'd let them know. Been told always plenty hours with care work however with Tesco it just works ( right now anyway ) for family regarding children and not needing babysitters at all.
If I get offered a job ( tesco) that I have said the hours I can say I can do and I say no, basically means if i dont say yes i wouldn't have a job. Its balls how it's all being treated.

But aye if i decide to stay i feel I'm being awful to the other company. Just wonder can they come back at me with anything ?

Couldn't you do both. Stay at Tesco, and make yourself available to the care place on a sessional/bank type basis? You could do a nightshift or two as a carer and still do Tesco.off

My mate does caring and seems to get paid for sleeping most of the time.

If I buy a couple of large sheets of plywood from B&Q, and give them a list of sizes I need it to be, will they cut it to size for me?

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

If I buy a couple of large sheets of plywood from B&Q, and give them a list of sizes I need it to be, will they cut it to size for me?

Normally they do but don’t know if Falkirk branch has a saw for cutting them.