Quick Question Thread

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

This question just cropped up on University Challenge a few minutes ago.

Which range of hills does the River Forth rise in?

Contestant from Darwin College, Cambridge : Is itThe Trossachs?

Correct, says Jeremy Paxbum.

I wasn't aware the Trossachs was a range of hills. Maybe some geography scholar could enlighten me.

You are correct. They aren't

14 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

This question just cropped up on University Challenge a few minutes ago.

Which range of hills does the River Forth rise in?

Contestant from Darwin College, Cambridge : Is itThe Trossachs?

Correct, says Jeremy Paxbum.

I wasn't aware the Trossachs was a range of hills. Maybe some geography scholar could enlighten me.

Was thinking that last night.  

Then I remembered that Paxman is an insufferable c**t and both teams were from Cambridge and probably just blurted out the first Scottishy sounding word they could think of.

9 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Then I remembered that Paxman is an insufferable c**t and both teams were from Cambridge and probably just blurted out the first Scottishy sounding word they could think of.

Indeed.

It probably was the first Scottishy sounding word they could think  of and to add insult to injury, they had no idea how to even pronounce the fucking word.

Does the Forth originate at Loch Ard? If so, then it actually becomes a river in my sisters garden. If not, please ignore this post.
My family used to have our summer holidays at Loch Ard when I was a toddler. Still have vague memories of staying in a wooden lodge up a hill overlooking the loch.

11 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:
25 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:
Does the Forth originate at Loch Ard? If so, then it actually becomes a river in my sisters garden. If not, please ignore this post.

My family used to have our summer holidays at Loch Ard when I was a toddler. Still have vague memories of staying in a wooden lodge up a hill overlooking the loch.

Forrest Hills ? 

Going to the hydro for a gig on Friday night. I know they've upped the security recently, so I'm concerned they may find my concealed hip flask if the searches are 'thorough'. Anyone been recently and taken something like that in?

1 minute ago, LinkinFighter said:

Going to the hydro for a gig on Friday night. I know they've upped the security recently, so I'm concerned they may find my concealed hip flask if the searches are 'thorough'. Anyone been recently and taken something like that in?

I was there a couple of months ago and while I didn't try and smuggle anything in, the search I received was so cursory that I could have probably smuggled a keg of beer in and they'd have been none the wiser. 

4 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

It was a Scottish contestant who said it to his team mates 

1 hour ago, LinkinFighter said:

that would depend on where you've actually concealed your hip flask. If you're able to walk straight then they'll never know...

6 hours ago, Billy Rubin said:

Forrest Hills ? 

No it was further west along the B829. There was a shop and post office owned by Mr & Mrs MacDonald who my folks knew well. The lodge was situated just up the hill opposite the shop. It was owned by the laird at the time and apparently my grandfather pulled him out of the loch one day when he somehow ended up falling off his boat. As a reward the laird let my family have free use of his lodge every summer holiday for as long as they wanted. The lodge has been long demolished decades ago. Apparently there was no running water which had to be brought from a nearby stream!

15 minutes ago, jimmy boo said:

No it was further west along the B829. There was a shop and post office owned by Mr & Mrs MacDonald who my folks knew well. The lodge was situated just up the hill opposite the shop. It was owned by the laird at the time and apparently my grandfather pulled him out of the loch one day when he somehow ended up falling off his boat. As a reward the laird let my family have free use of his lodge every summer holiday for as long as they wanted. The lodge has been long demolished decades ago. Apparently there was no running water which had to be brought from a nearby stream!

^^^

Enid Blyton