Quick Question Thread

1 hour ago, milton75 said:

I've just been given a promotion at work, which is obviously nice, but it's put me in a situation I'm not great at and would appreciate some advice. I'll need to drive every day now as opposed to getting the train, so need to buy or lease a second car. I can't get one via work as my MD already agreed to give me more money than my predecessor because I dug my heels in. I assume that would kill me on tax anyway? (I'm repeating shit I hear other people say there - I'm pretty useless at tracking financial stuff tbh.

So my questions are twofold.
1) Lease or buy? I understand that if I lease then I have to deal with less upkeep, but I don't really want to waste money on something I don't own. But I realise that may be an old-fashioned attitude.

2) What car type should I get? I'm not a ponce and don't want something super fancy, but we do have 2 kids and could do with a bigger car. I'm keen on MPG and reliability, and although I drive a lot of hire cars for work, I have no real knowledge of their price. I know that the fancy Mercedes saloon I had last week will cost more than the VW golf a week before, but truth be told I don't really care as long as it's nice to drive. I had a nice Volvo a few months ago, but can't remember the model.
I don't mind if it's new or second-hand and will probably base my decision entirely on resale value if I buy. I walked past some BMW place the other day that had stickers on the cars claiming that they would "still be worth" £9k or something after purchase. These were £22k cars, and I know depreciation is crazy on cars, but it seemed a reasonable deal.

I've got maybe a month to play with. Work has got a hire care for the next few weeks, and there's a pool car I can use if really needed after that, but I'd rather get it done. I really don't want to make a cock of myself in the sales place. I can't pay cash upfront for it because all my savings are currently being screwed on a kitchen, so will need to pay monthly. I know this will rip me off and accept that. I don't really want to pay more than £400pm, but f*ck knows what I'm in for. With all our crap and 2 kids maybe I need an SUV, but I don't like them. How do PnBers find this stuff out?

A set of decent questions with a conundrum at the end.  When my weans were wee (and after I came off a company car scheme) we bought 'old Swedish bangers' - no reflection  on my most recent ex wife - and ran them in to the ground.  

In your case?  You can get a 6 yo Skoda estate with less than 60,000 miles on the clock for under £4,000.  See here: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201902235243628?maximum-mileage=60000&body-type=Estate&make=SKODA&model=OCTAVIA&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&price-to=4500&postcode=hp70hz&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=sponsored&radius=1500&page=1

A car like this is good for at least another 100,000 miles and will easily accomodate you, the wife and the weans.  Unglamorous but practical and cheap motoring.

The conundrum?  You don't have any cash.  So take out a bank loan or use a card to buy it and repay the debt at £350ish a month for a year.  From the start of Year 2 you own the car and all you have to pay is normal servicing costs.

Edit:  Estate cars>>>SUVs

Edited by The_Kincardine

14 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

When do parking restrictions end during the week in Glasgow City centre?

11 hours ago, Christophe said:

6pm

Depends where you are tbh. Some areas are 6, some 8, some as late as 10 .

If you have the RingGo app, you can check the prices and timings for the area you want to park.

I've just been given a promotion at work, which is obviously nice, but it's put me in a situation I'm not great at and would appreciate some advice. I'll need to drive every day now as opposed to getting the train, so need to buy or lease a second car. I can't get one via work as my MD already agreed to give me more money than my predecessor because I dug my heels in. I assume that would kill me on tax anyway? (I'm repeating shit I hear other people say there - I'm pretty useless at tracking financial stuff tbh.
So my questions are twofold.
1) Lease or buy? I understand that if I lease then I have to deal with less upkeep, but I don't really want to waste money on something I don't own. But I realise that may be an old-fashioned attitude.
2) What car type should I get? I'm not a ponce and don't want something super fancy, but we do have 2 kids and could do with a bigger car. I'm keen on MPG and reliability, and although I drive a lot of hire cars for work, I have no real knowledge of their price. I know that the fancy Mercedes saloon I had last week will cost more than the VW golf a week before, but truth be told I don't really care as long as it's nice to drive. I had a nice Volvo a few months ago, but can't remember the model.
I don't mind if it's new or second-hand and will probably base my decision entirely on resale value if I buy. I walked past some BMW place the other day that had stickers on the cars claiming that they would "still be worth" £9k or something after purchase. These were £22k cars, and I know depreciation is crazy on cars, but it seemed a reasonable deal.

I've got maybe a month to play with. Work has got a hire care for the next few weeks, and there's a pool car I can use if really needed after that, but I'd rather get it done. I really don't want to make a cock of myself in the sales place. I can't pay cash upfront for it because all my savings are currently being screwed on a kitchen, so will need to pay monthly. I know this will rip me off and accept that. I don't really want to pay more than £400pm, but f*ck knows what I'm in for. With all our crap and 2 kids maybe I need an SUV, but I don't like them. How do PnBers find this stuff out?

So many competing issues at play.

1. How many miles do you do pa? Under 10k, go petrol, over 10k go diesel.

2. If reliability is key, lease.

3. Leasing isn’t dead money. Cars are very expensive wasting assets. If you’re looking at ~£20k BMW and Volvos you are going to burn £3/£400 a month in depreciation anyway.

4. Avoid the SUV. Mpg and running costs all much higher than the equivalent estate car.

I’m a bit of a leasing evangelist (as you can probably tell). If the deal is right, and in your circumstances with income but no capital it seems a good fit.

It all depends on the deal but at the moment Volvos and Seats seem to being pushed the hardest, therefore cheapest. Don’t know if you have a Santander account but for some reason they have a tie up with Volvo and are always quoted as having deals.

Have a look on here and play around with the filters: https://leasing.com

The sweet spot seems to be to lease for 24months. That way you only need to deal with one minor service and likely no tyres.

Also agree with KB logic about a £3/£4K though, pays yer money, takes yer choice.

Depends where you are tbh. Some areas are 6, some 8, some as late as 10 .
If you have the RingGo app, you can check the prices and timings for the area you want to park.
Yeah, ended up on St Vincent's Street and Ringo wouldn't allow me to pay so jackpot.

Ta

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I for one am pleased to see the return of @Bobby Skidmarks

My question is for Bobby... During your time away from the forum, did you use any aliases?

Also, does @Vicarious know you are back?

I have not used an alias since I pretended to be Div on one of those award threads and did a write up on LM suggesting we had a fumble in the disabled toilets.

I have no idea who that is, but as I logged into hundreds of notifications from him I can only imagine he is quite a laid back poster who doesn't hold a grudge about having the pish ripped out of him on a football forum.

I have not used an alias since I pretended to be Div on one of those award threads and did a write up on LM suggesting we had a fumble in the disabled toilets.
I have no idea who that is, but as I logged into hundreds of notifications from him I can only imagine he is quite a laid back poster who doesn't hold a grudge about having the pish ripped out of him on a football forum.
He has been an occasional seething mess throughout your hiatus.

I recently had a nice time pretending to be a mod. Would recommend to others.

Nce to see you back anyway brother.

Just now, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
Who's [mention=74553]Vicarious[/mention] ?

Christ knows. Some roaster alias that appears every so often and has an unhealthy obsession with Skidmarks. Claimed he was going to reveal the truth about the incident with Bobbys work IIRC

Standfree maybe? Or might be mixing up names, it's been a while.

3 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

He has been an occasional seething mess throughout your hiatus.

I recently had a nice time pretending to be a mod. Would recommend to others.

Nce to see you back anyway brother.

I wondered why you never turned up at my mod coaching stand ups.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Reccomendations for places to eat in Edinburgh, please. 

She's decided she wants to do some shopping and the Dungeons (she's from York and wants to see the difference ( :lol: )) for her birthday so looking to get somewhere booked. Few stipulations is, there's no drinking as she wanting back for the Bairn so she's not staying over. Can't be seafood or too hoity toity. Getting her into a restuarant is a bit of a struggle tbh. 

A wee pointer is : she's looking at Makars Mash I think it's called. Please, P&B, save me. 

Thank you. 

Edited by Dele

5 minutes ago, Dele said:

Reccomendations for places to eat in Edinburgh, please. 

She's decided she wants to do some shopping and the Dungeons (she's from York and wants to see the difference ( :lol: )) for her birthday so looking to get somewhere booked. Few stipulations is, there's no drinking as she wanting back for the Bairn so she's not staying over. Can't be seafood or too hoity toity. Getting her into a restuarant is a bit of a struggle tbh. 

A wee pointer is : she's looking at Makars Mash I think it's called. Please, P&B, save me. 

Thank you. 

Chez Joules

Fazenda

cafe andaluz

Edit failing that the CoOp in the West end does stake Bridies 

Edited by Adam101