Quick Question Thread

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Thinking about getting a basic dormer window extension onto what is currently a small 'bedroom' with a slanting wall/roof. 

Anybody know a rough figure that I should expect to pay for such extravagance? 

Seeing as no-one else has waded in to help. I think it will probably be more than a pound, probably less hassle to move house (you could move into Ibrox for a pound)

6 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Thinking about getting a basic dormer window extension onto what is currently a small 'bedroom' with a slanting wall/roof. 

I seem to recall @Scary Bear had renovation work done a while ago, maybe he could advise.

Just now, Zen Archer said:

I seem to recall @Scary Bear had renovation work done a while ago, maybe he could advise.

I got an eyelid dormer (basically dormer at 45 degrees) so I could get the head height for a stair. It was as part of a bigger loft conversion which involved extending the stair (two stairs and a landing), master bedroom, large en suite and study. That was £35k. Insulation is a big expense to meet the modern building regs. 6 velux windows and one normal window.

If it’s just installing a dormer it shouldn’t be anything like that much.

7 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

I was going to guess at 3 grand but from this it could be up to 5. I looked into just putting a sloping Velux window in before and it was a lot cheaper.

http://buildingsheriff.com/dormer-window-costs.php

P.S. Having looked at the website it might be inflated London prices by very posh builders/website designers. Ignore this post apart from maybe considering a simple sloping Velux as a cheaper alternative.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, Adam101 said:

Seeing as no-one else has waded in to help. I think it will probably be more than a pound, probably less hassle to move house (you could move into Ibrox for a pound)

There's a trophy room not being used.

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

from maybe considering a simple sloping Velux as a cheaper alternative.

Was considering the dormer as a way of making the room larger, providing more area in which one can actually stand upright (as opposed to simply having a skylight). 

Cheers though, appreciated. 

Was considering the dormer as a way of making the room larger, providing more area in which one can actually stand upright (as opposed to simply having a skylight). 
Cheers though, appreciated. 

Agree with the the £5k as mentioned above. Get a few quotes though.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I was going to guess at 3 grand but from this it could be up to 5. I looked into just putting a sloping Velux window in before and it was a lot cheaper.

http://buildingsheriff.com/dormer-window-costs.php

P.S. Having looked at the website it might be inflated London prices by very posh builders/website designers. Ignore this post apart from maybe considering a simple sloping Velux as a cheaper alternative.

Not adding to the price part of this but would just like to state that a Velux window is probably the greatest window ever created. Having spent almost 40 years in the building game the quality is second to none.

Yeh, fine to drive slowly to the garage while doing your best to avoid potholes.
Fucking shat myself when it went like. Then after jacking car up to check what noise was, was putting spare wheel back in and it landed on, and projected at great pace, a snall piece of an ice scraper which hit me about 4mm from my eyeball. Was sore as f**k and might well come up into a black eye.

Not a great Sunday so far.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Tynierose said:
A chap I know lost the sight in his eye when opening his garage door only for a spring to come flying off and hit him.  

Next question then... How much to replace a spring roughly?

About £60 for the spring and the same again for the labouring. 

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, Tynierose said:
A chap I know lost the sight in his eye when opening his garage door only for a spring to come flying off and hit him.  

Next question then... How much to replace a spring roughly?

I would be wanting the job to be done properly.

On 06/01/2019 at 10:07, Bairnardo said:

How far can you drive with a broken front spring? (without doing any more damage)

Ok to drive to a garage presumably?

noddy.jpg.01bfe7114e0e5dcf149575a6c48a4dc1.jpg

Bairnardo racing along the mean streets of Central Scotland.. 

10 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Anyone driving elderly an Citreon Xsara Picasso should be aware that if a front spring breaks the sharp edge of the said spring can pierce and burst a tyre. That's not good news if you're travelling around 70MPH.

Ok if you're under 60 then, sweet.