Quick Question Thread

A wee moral dilemma (or not)...

Was in a car smash the other day. Someone ploughed into the back of me (insert Kenneth here), pitching my car into the one in front. Car was a mess and I was a bit dazed/shaken and sore but nothing broken (got some decent drugs from the doctor). Had a solicitor call up, via insurers, asking if I wanted to pursue an injury claim.  I could ham it up and get a holiday out of it but I just don't want to do that. My back is a bit sore and I was thinking "what if it starts playing up in years to come"? 

Trying to be a good, spiritual person these days so told the claim people I didn't want to pursue. Was this the right thing to do? 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Was in a car smash the other day. Someone ploughed into the back of me (insert Kenneth here), pitching my car into the one in front. Car was a mess and I was a bit dazed/shaken and sore but nothing broken (got some decent drugs from the doctor). Had a solicitor call up, via insurers, asking if I wanted to pursue an injury claim.  I could ham it up and get a holiday out of it but I just don't want to do that. My back is a bit sore and I was thinking "what if it starts playing up in years to come"? 

Trying to be a good, spiritual person these days so told the claim people I didn't want to pursue. Was this the right thing to do? 

If you had pursued then some sleazy lawyer would have made a packet, so you did the right thing.

20 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It matters to Digby Brown.

22 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Pretty sure you could still claim in the future if you've got long term damage.

He's been 'given the opportunity' and  'the right to go down' that route.

Interesting to see what a few pundits would think about this if they ploughed into the back of somebody and were pursued for any injuries.

Nah, f**k that. These ambulance chasing c***s can do one. If you were genuinely injured, off work, hospitalised, missing work, potential financial knock on etc., fair enough making a claim but other than a wee shock at the time seems you’re all good. Be thankful it’s not worse and be content you’ve done the right thing.

1 hour ago, Shandon Par said:

A friend of mine had a collision (accident implies there's no one to blame) a few years back. His fault, but the woman was really friendly all things considered at the time. They exchanged details, and he said that he'd prefer not to go through his insurance regarding it if possible (didn't want his premiums going up and he's a time served mechanic, so he was fine with doing any repair work on his own car as needed). She was happy enough to go along with that.

A few days later he had a phone call off her and she was telling my friend about the quote she'd got for the repair work on her own car (having had a quick inspection of both cars after the accident he said it sounded fair enough)... however she now advised him that she was feeling really sore, suffering migraines since the accident and was thinking of contacting someone about what her options were etc. etc.

My pal clicked what she was angling at and offered her £200 as compensation along with paying for the repairs, which she accepted. She could have doubtless got more by going through the courts but it'd have taken time and effort so she took the quick cash.

Not sure how "fair" that is but everyone ended up happy enough, I suppose.

Another irritating Americanism that's drifted over the pond. At least in America it's fair enough as a lot of them will have to pay for their treatment. We have the NHS so unless an injury keeps people off their work (that doesn't have sick pay) for a period then I don't get this mentality of suing.

We had an incident years ago. Someone hit our car (who we knew) while we were visiting someone. They came to the door and told us he had hit the car. Had he not done that there is absolutely no way we'd have known who did it. So appreciated his honesty. The work was done and no problems had.

Weeks later I kept getting these calls from these ambulance chasing wankers. One day I decided to engage with them.

A cut down version of the discussion:-

Them: We understand you were in a collision and may be entitled to compensation.

Me: Yes but I wasn't injured and that was ages ago.

Them: But you may have injuries you're not aware of so you can still make a claim.

Me: I wasn't in the car! *Explained the story*.

Them: *Long pause* Oh. Well, you can still make a claim for damages...

Me: Listen, the guy could have hit the car and drove off. He was honest enough to admit what he did. Why would I put in a pointless claim and drive his premiums up when he's been spot on with us?

Them: *Another pause* But the money is sitting...

I hung up.

Absolute worstcunts. The only folk worse than these arseholes are those who milk it and make needless claims.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Another irritating Americanism that's drifted over the pond. At least in America it's fair enough as a lot of them will have to pay for their treatment. We have the NHS so unless an injury keeps people off their work (that doesn't have sick pay) for a period then I don't get this mentality of suing.

We had an incident years ago. Someone hit our car (who we knew) while we were visiting someone. They came to the door and told us he had hit the car. Had he not done that there is absolutely no way we'd have known who did it. So appreciated his honesty. The work was done and no problems had.

Weeks later I kept getting these calls from these ambulance chasing wankers. One day I decided to engage with them.

A cut down version of the discussion:-

Them: We understand you were in a collision and may be entitled to compensation.

Me: Yes but I wasn't injured and that was ages ago.

Them: But you may have injuries you're not aware of so you can still make a claim.

Me: I wasn't in the car! *Explained the story*.

Them: *Long pause* Oh. Well, you can still make a claim for damages...

Me: Listen, the guy could have hit the car and drove off. He was honest enough to admit what he did. Why would I put in a pointless claim and drive his premiums up when he's been spot on with us?

Them: *Another pause* But the money is sitting...

I hung up.

Absolute worstcunts. The only folk worse than these arseholes are those who milk it and make needless claims.

The ambulance chasers had no knowledge of your car been hit, they just make it up hoping you've been in an accident. I get them all the time. I keep meaning to say "Oh thank god you called, is the ambulance on its way? I can't feel my legs." but can't be arsed. I just say "No you don't, you just made that up." and hang up.

The ambulance chasers had no knowledge of your car been hit, they just make it up hoping you've been in an accident. I get them all the time. I keep meaning to say "Oh thank god you called, is the ambulance on its way? I can't feel my legs." but can't be arsed. I just say "No you don't, you just made that up." and hang up.
But we'd never had such a call until after that incident. I suppose it might have been an annoying coincidence right enough.

I had one of those calls asking about my car accident in Shrewsbury a year or so ago.

Not only have I never been in any sort of collision (well, barring one minor mishap in my old Fiesta on a kerb which didn't necessitate any sort of claim), I haven't been to Shrewsbury since I was about 5 years old. Could have asked them if they were referring to me bumping into the kitchen table in my cozy coupe I suppose.

No idea where they get the information from for some of these things - it's my town of birth and that's listed on my driving licence right enough so I've always assumed they got the bare bones of my details from somewhere and were winging it.

Actually I'm sure my old Facebook account will have had my birthplace and probably the odd photo/mention of me with cars too! Quite glad I got rid of my FB account last year, don't really miss it.

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Glad to read you're a fairly moral bunch. If only Grimbo was still here for a bit of balance. He's have been pm'ing me links to Baltic cruises and advising where I could spend the dosh and of course a GoFundMe page for aiding my recovery. 

If your back isn't back to normal in a week, I'd definitely get down the doctors and see about putting in a claim. Nothing wrong in claiming for a genuine injury, if only for the discomfort.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

If your back isn't back to normal in a week, I'd definitely get down the doctors and see about putting in a claim. Nothing wrong in claiming for a genuine injury, if only for the discomfort.

I suppose I've had so many sore injuries over the years through my own stupidity, drunkenness and sports that sticking in a claim for being a wee bit sore feels wrong. 

Glad to read you're a fairly moral bunch. If only Grimbo was still here for a bit of balance. He's have been pm'ing me links to Baltic cruises and advising where I could spend the dosh and of course a GoFundMe page for aiding my recovery. 

We’re not setting up a justgiving page to buy you another wee roller skate car, chase yersel.

Shyster, Chase yersel.

3 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Did Grimbo post the gofundme?