Quick Question Thread

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What always baffles me about shows/films with spaceships, do they have to hire two spaceships to do the external shot of the main spaceship?

11 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

What always baffles me about shows/films with spaceships, do they have to hire two spaceships to do the external shot of the main spaceship?

Is there two of you?

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
33 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:
Why do TV shows and films that have space travel elements always show spaceships with the trustees (fnarr) on the whole time? 
My limited understanding of it is that because space is a vacuum, once you're at your desired speed, you don't need thrust as there are no frictional forces to slow you down. You only then need thrust to change course, speed up  or reverse thrust to slow down/stop.

Faster than light travel requires the mass on an entire galaxy converted into energy to create and maintain a wormhole, which means a pretty hefty mpg.

Ah, of course.

22 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
50 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:
Why do TV shows and films that have space travel elements always show spaceships with the trustees (fnarr) on the whole time? 
My limited understanding of it is that because space is a vacuum, once you're at your desired speed, you don't need thrust as there are no frictional forces to slow you down. You only then need thrust to change course, speed up  or reverse thrust to slow down/stop.

Faster than light travel requires the mass on an entire galaxy converted into energy to create and maintain a wormhole, which means a pretty hefty mpg.

Nonsense. You just go into the red bit on the speedometer.

Thats what my wife thinks anyway.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

Presumably you meant 'thrusters'. And as I can't think of any double-entendres involving the word 'trustees' I'm assuming you originally typed 'thrusters' and autocorrect fucked you up.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Actually that nearly happened in 1969. When it became clear that America was going to win the race to the Moon the Russians switched the focus of their space programme to space stations, so to fill in time until the first station was ready they launched three Soyuz capsules on consecutive days intending that two would dock and the third would film it. However something went wrong and the docking was cancelled.

22 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

The excellent The Expanse on Netflix is one of the few sci fi shows I've seen where they actually try to stick to the laws of physics regarding space travel.  Thrust one way to get up to speed, weeks or months of travel depending on distance, then flip the ship round halfway and thrust to slow down to get where they are going. 

11 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The excellent The Expanse on Netflix is one of the few sci fi shows I've seen where they actually try to stick to the laws of physics regarding space travel.  Thrust one way to get up to speed, weeks or months of travel depending on distance, then flip the ship round halfway and thrust to slow down to get where they are going. 

I've actually just been bingeing The Expanse, which is what put the question in my head.

Watched the last 5 episodes last night, and you're correct, it's been excellent.

EDIT - apart form that twat Miller.  I was glad when he got fired into Venus' sulphuric acidy atmosphere.

Edited by Boghead ranter

I've actually just been bingeing The Expanse, which is what put the question in my head.
Watched the last 5 episodes last night, and you're correct, it's been excellent.
EDIT - apart form that twat Miller.  I was glad when he got fired into Venus' sulphuric acidy atmosphere.
how many episodes in total? not a big sci-fi fan but im basically bed bound just now and only sleep 2 hours a night and nearly done with season 1 of designated survivor so any recommendations are appreciated!