Livingston - all the threads merged

They'll being paying wages at a level of the division lower than theyre playing in, while enjoying the revenues from the higher division. If they finish bottom and end up relegated, they'll be exactly where they are now, but in a years time.

That's the way I see it and if they could have the they can hang on in till the window at January then that extra finance could pay for to strengthen there team.

Rankine and co have just payed Massone 50k do you really think they will walk away?

It's not about guilt. I am merely pointing out that there's a human cost to this decision.

Even if we survive there's no way you can pay full time wages in the Third Division so there's about 20 players on the dole for a start before you start thinking about backroom folk.

Had Livi done what Clyde had to do then you might still be a 1st Div team. The penny has finally dropped, if you cannot afford them dont sign them.

Well I have to say I'm dumb-founded by this :o . Incredible. In a way I'm over the moon that - despite all the predicitions - the Scottish Football League showed some back-bone. Thankfully.

Today's decision may have (once again...) saved the grand old lady from the scrap-heap, as I really did believe that a failure to punish Livi in a meaningful way could see a major rift develop.

At the same time, I think the actual punishment is OTT - especially bearing in mind the season begins in about 60-odd hours time!! Livi haven't been punished for financial problems before, so personally I thought a 15-point fine + transfer embarge + mandate SFL Management Committee to keep an eye on them would be fair. I think that promoting 2 clubs, and altering all fixture lists at 3 days notice, is a very poor way to do things. It makes Scottish football look amateurish...

What I find more worrying is the appeal's process. I've heard that the administrator may launch an appeal both to the SFA and in the Court of Session... if this is the case, what happens if [1] Livi win the appeal; or [2] the severity of it is reduced (for example, relegation to Second)? Do we cancel all the games played involving Livingston, and make them catch up on midweek? Do we alter promotion and relegation to keep Livi in the Second for 2010-11? Does SFL hand out money to Livingston as compensation? A number of vital questions still need to be resolved here IMO.

If the SFL are so desperate to keep senior football in West Lothian then perhaps they could look favourably on an application from the Livi trust to take over a spot in the 3rd division instead of succumbing to the blackmail and threats.

If there is a vacancy in the Third Division - due to Livingston folding - it should be filled by the usual (disappointing...) method of bids and votes. There are non-league clubs desperate to join the SFL, and their only way of doing so is waiting for a club like Livingston to die. West Lothian has proved totally incapable of running a football club competently for 14 decades - it is just not fair to then bungee them straight back in, as if nothing has happened, as Airdrie United originally tried to do.

Livingston supporters (and the great Ged Nixon) should perhaps now move their attentions to a Livingston 2010 FC. There's a vacancy in the East of Scotland League which may be attractive...

Edited by HibeeJibee

Having actually found out the system that did relegate us, I'd like to retract my comments from earlier. I'd still like to say that the decision was absolutely farcical.

However, I wouldn't get too ahead of yourselves with the dancing shoes comments etc. there's still a lot of this story to run.

As long as we survive, I don't mind what league we're in but I have serious doubts that McDougall and Rankine will be plowing in as much money as they would have been, if at all. I hope that people also realise that creditors will get less from any rescue package so you're not just laughing at the players/staff/fans losing their club.

No, disgusting it isn't. I can't remember Livingston ever apologizing for them being 40% responsible for me having to lay off a young guy. Three unpaid invoices forced me to lay off one guy. Not Livingston's fault 100%, but they contributed hugely to that decision within that trading year.

To say the SFL are responsible for Livingston's years of wrondoing is profoundly wrong.

If you think that a bit of rough justice is "disgusting", then try receiving no justice at all. Livingston have pissed over the Scottish game for long enough. Now the Scottish game is pissing over Livingston. It ain't nice is it?

This is a profound piece of decision making, and you simply cannot say that your club don't deserve it. Hey, even if you could argue that you don't deserve it, then there's a list of creditors who didn't deserve what your club did to them. It never stopped Livingston from doing it though.

You guys now really need to suck it in and show just how loyal you really are. I've a feeling it is nothing like as loyal as many claim to be.

The "death knell" for Livingston just might prove to be the lifeblood for a club with a bit of honesty about them.

You really are a sad b*****d. What are you going to do with the rest of your miserable life if Livi die?

I'd still like to say that the decision was absolutely farcical.

The only farcical thing about it is the timing of it.

Should have been done first time around, but the SFL bottled it. Make no mistake, the SFL are still tools after all of this.

There is an old saying that hard cases make bad law and I think this is one of those.

Relegating Gretna to the Third Div had nothiog to do with the SFL thinking that was a just decision and a fair punishment. It was simply to tie up the fixture lists for the 1st and 2 Divs as quickly as possible in the expectation that Gretna would shortly go into liquidation and it was a relatively easy process to bring a new club into the vacant space in the 3rd.

I think relegating Livi is a bad decision and does nothing for the so called integrity of the league (what a bloddy laugh that expression is)

Edited by WJR

I think relegating Livi is a bad decision and does nothing for the so called integrity of the league (what a bloddy laugh that expression is)

Is it the timing of the relegation or the relegation as a punishment you disagree with WJR?

I have serious doubts that McDougall and Rankine will be plowing in as much money as they would have been, if at all.

The Livi mantra, sugar daddies must plow money into the club. There are other ways to run football clubs, they're not as easy so most Livi fans probably won't be interested.

It's not about guilt. I am merely pointing out that there's a human cost to this decision.

Even if we survive there's no way you can pay full time wages in the Third Division so there's about 20 players on the dole for a start before you start thinking about backroom folk.

Thistle fans should know better IMHO.

The reason they will become redundant is because your franchise is insolvent; because the players were offered contracts the franchise could not afford. Nothing to do with the SFL. For once regarding this debacle they have made the right decision.

What I find more worrying is the appeal's process. I've heard that the administrator may launch an appeal both to the SFA and in the Court of Session... if this is the case, what happens if [1] Livi win the appeal; or [2] the severity of it is reduced (for example, relegation to Second)? Do we cancel all the games played involving Livingston, and make them catch up on midweek? Do we alter promotion and relegation to keep Livi in the Second for 2010-11? Does SFL hand out money to Livingston as compensation? A number of vital questions still need to be resolved here IMO.

If there's an appeal, and I imagine there will be, you could find all the games involving us, Cowden and Airdrie being postponed for the time being which is particularly unfair to the two teams who haven't been punished.

Just when you think you've seen it all.

At the end of the day we deserved a punishment, but this is a death sentence.

In a strange way, I don't feel that sorry for Livi :( ... Looking back, the general populus across West Lothian have simply not got behind the club. The club has become a magnet for a motely collection of rogues. Even the rescue plan was based on sand. The bell seems to have tolled...

In recent times, we've seen ICT, Ross County, Gretna (before Mileson took over), Peterhead and Annan all bring fresh impetus to the SFL. Personally, I'd like a pyramid system: but until that can be put in place, we rely on clubs dying off. There are many good clubs out there who will look to take Livi's place if you fold - and, in my heart-of-hearts, I think that is the final justice of today.

Having actually found out the system that did relegate us, I'd like to retract my comments from earlier. I'd still like to say that the decision was absolutely farcical.

However, I wouldn't get too ahead of yourselves with the dancing shoes comments etc. there's still a lot of this story to run.

As long as we survive, I don't mind what league we're in but I have serious doubts that McDougall and Rankine will be plowing in as much money as they would have been, if at all. I hope that people also realise that creditors will get less from any rescue package so you're not just laughing at the players/staff/fans losing their club.

You lot still here? :rolleyes:

An absolute disgrace, from european football to scottish division three in a decade? the SFA management need to get a grip!

Don't you get it? The only reason they achieved European football was spending money that they did not have and did not intend to pay back!