Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, ATLIS said:

With more snow and -11° forecast for next week, surely that Dundee Utd game is in danger of a third postponement :D 

I don't think its the snow that's the problem; its the bl00dy frozen corner of the stadium which has been responsible for more games called off than Fat Boab has had pies.

Holt started 37 of 38 Premiership matches for us last season. This season, pre-break, he started 14 of 15 matches. Post-break, he's started only 2 of 9 Premiership matches, a dramatic reduction in selection from the previous pattern. It's clear he let Martindale know during the World Cup break that he's leaving. 

This has happened each January-March since we've been in the Premiership. Departing players are replaced in the team where possible. It needs to be done because Martindale must test the capabilities of the players contracted for the following season so he can learn where upgrades will be needed. This advanced planning has been crucial as its prevented us collapsing the next season after losing key players. The trade-off is it hampers us in the current season. Formerly key players are used sparingly from January onwards. You'll notice most of our points are picked up October to December with this strategy. Unfortunately we lost a month from that period this season due to the World Cup break.

38 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I think only Lawless, Halkett and Gallagher have told the club they're leaving and kept their place post-January?

With Shinnie, Omeonga and Holt likley to leave, it puts a lot of pressure on recruitment for midfield

Possibly Alan Forrest? Think we knew he was leaving but still got a place in the team?

EDIT - just check; for his last few months it looks like, when he wasn't injured, he made more appearances off the bench than starts.

Edited by Durnford

11 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

JET too, as we were getting him a move to Aberdeen for some dosh and Brucie, and needed to be playing him for that to happen.

With the contract situation, he's an example of putting a player in the shop window, rather than an out of contract player. 

15 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

With the contract situation, he's an example of putting a player in the shop window, rather than an out of contract player. 

Aye fair enough, was he out of contract but we had one of those another year option we could trigger, and that's why we got money and the deal of the decade with Bruce thrown in?

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

Aye fair enough, was he out of contract but we had one of those another year option we could trigger, and that's why we got money and the deal of the decade with Bruce thrown in?

Pretty sure we would let him go as a free agent if he moved to Thailand, or similar. Any move to a British club, and Livi would renew the 1 year option to get a fee

Just now, LIVIFOREVER said:

I think it was that we had him for another year but with a clause (maybe it was more of a "gentlemen's agreement"?) that we'd accept any offers for him from clubs outside Scotland.

Has there been a team who has had more VAR decisions go against them than us? Borderline yellows upgraded to reds (Pittman), borderline red cards kept as red cards (Fitzwater, Holt), soft handballs given against us (Shinnie against Rangers), soft handballs not being given as penalties to us (Aberdeen last week), teams getting away with horror tackles against us (Hearts at Tynecastle). 

I'm not sure what the rules are for continuing with it but I'd be pushing our board to say they want rid. Shite experience, not worth it for correct offside decisions.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Just now, Carol Anne said:

My husband thinks Martindale will be Aberdeen bound. Hope he's wrong. 🙄

Not a chance, it's not much of a step up for him at all. He's already said he sees his future at Livi, and the distant future he wants a chance down south. 

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Not a chance, it's not much of a step up for him at all. He's already said he sees his future at Livi, and the distant future he wants a chance down south. 

I hope you're right and I will get him told! 🙂

On 04/03/2023 at 18:09, ATLIS said:

Based on recent form, Devlin can go. He looks like he's hit a wall, lost a lot of pace and drive going forward. He's lost a bit of fight in him. Pretty poor defensively

Agreed. He’s dropped a level recently. I still wouldn’t want him to go but won’t be too sad if/when he leaves at the end of the season. 

I still like Nicky Devlin as a player, and I think he's become a good captain, but he's definitely had a few horror shows lately.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he's playing through an injury, as he's nowhere near as dynamic. Is this the first year we've had a few players who have been good overall for a the club, are out of contact and most fans would be happy to leave at this time (Shinnie, Devlin, Omeonga)? In the past it seems like Livi fans wanted players punted or given lifetime contacts.  

10 hours ago, Carol Anne said:

My husband thinks Martindale will be Aberdeen bound. Hope he's wrong. 🙄

10 hours ago, ATLIS said:

He's got job security here that most on the planet can only dream of. There's no chance he'd go to a club who have sacked 2 managers in just over a year.

However I reckon that first point means the door would be left open if he wanted to come back. I can see him heading to England (possibly at the end of next season) and being back up as DoF a year later.

43 minutes ago, afc_blockhead said:

😆

It's really not, he moves to Aberdeen and has nowhere near the same level of control. Nowhere near the same job security, Aberdeen aren't the club they once were. They're not finishing 2nd or 3rd most seasons. 

2 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

I still like Nicky Devlin as a player, and I think he's become a good captain, but he's definitely had a few horror shows lately.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out he's playing through an injury, as he's nowhere near as dynamic. Is this the first year we've had a few players who have been good overall for a the club, are out of contact and most fans would be happy to leave at this time (Shinnie, Devlin, Omeonga)? In the past it seems like Livi fans wanted players punted or given lifetime contacts.  

I still rate Omeonga highly, my 2nd favourite player after Nouble.

Defensively i'd agree with you, Halkett, Gallagher, Guthrie, all huge players for us to fill the void they left, this season i really wont be bothered who leaves as i feel that position needs freshening up. Hopefully de Lucas is going to come in and impress.