Livingston - all the threads merged

13 minutes ago, East Calder Lion said:

3 points on Wednesday would be massive. 

I can see us going through January unbeaten.  With the teams below us taking points off each other we have a great chance of going into the run in with a bit of daylight between us and the chasing pack.

Wouldn't take anything for granted with United. Their tails are up at the moment and we need to be on our game from the off (plus need to keep 11 players on the pitch).

6 minutes ago, LiviLion said:
There he is, very surprised if he plays on Wednesday but can see him making an appearance at Stenny

Apparently he's been training with the squad for a few days now so could possibly come on as a sub; subject to the score line at the time of course 

EDIT  - at 6'4" he could be what we've been looking for as a target for the long throws as well.

Edited by Durnford

Thompson and Kettlewell on Sportscene praised Martindale for "finding solutions" in winning these last two matches without key players Pittman, Holt, Nouble and Montaño. Martindale curates his squad wisely then is willing to fully utilise it. I loved how we just saw goalscoring left back Montaño replaced seamlessly by goalscoring left back Penrice. Cancar hasn't played for a while but that's because centre back is the hardest outfield position to rotate. Cancar certainly hasn't been "frozen out" as that's something Martindale has the good sense not to do to players (less competent managers often do it, to the detriment of squad morale). 

I'm speculating a bit with this but it looks to me too that Martindale is very mindful of players' injury concerns. "Playing through the pain barrier" was always a stupid concept and has finally been disregarded now in football. Forcing players to play while injured impedes their recovery and risks a long term issue developing. It probably also pisses them off. Much better to give another squad member the opportunity in the meantime and we're consistently seeing those players come into the team and do well.

4 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Thompson and Kettlewell on Sportscene praised Martindale for "finding solutions" in winning these last two matches without key players Pittman, Holt, Nouble and Montaño. Martindale curates his squad wisely then is willing to fully utilise it. I loved how we just saw goalscoring left back Montaño replaced seamlessly by goalscoring left back Penrice. Cancar hasn't played for a while but that's because centre back is the hardest outfield position to rotate. Cancar certainly hasn't been "frozen out" as that's something Martindale has the good sense not to do to players (less competent managers often do it, to the detriment of squad morale). 

I'm speculating a bit with this but it looks to me too that Martindale is very mindful of players' injury concerns. "Playing through the pain barrier" was always a stupid concept and has finally been disregarded now in football. Forcing players to play while injured impedes their recovery and risks a long term issue developing. It probably also pisses them off. Much better to give another squad member the opportunity in the meantime and we're consistently seeing those players come into the team and do well.

Except when he kept Boyes on so Maley could get his Premiership game before retiring, as that was our last substitution, ended up doing just as you say, knackering him for a while after playing on injured for several more minutes and having to come off with a more serious injury. I know it was a one off and a special circumstance rewarding big stretch for his services to Livi, but it was costly to Boyes.

He's been super careful with Anderson's return from injury though, and looks like he's being equally careful with Nouble, wrapping both in cotton wool till he's sure they're ready.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Except when he kept Boyes on so Maley could get his Premiership game before retiring, as that was our last substitution, ended up doing just as you say, knackering him for a while after playing on injured for several more minutes and having to come off with a more serious injury. I know it was a one off and a special circumstance rewarding big stretch for his services to Livi, but it was costly to Boyes.

He's been super careful with Anderson's return from injury though, and looks like he's being equally careful with Nouble, wrapping both in cotton wool till he's sure they're ready.

I think the damage with ligament strains happens in the initial instance. So playing on won't have worsened the injury but will certainly have been very annoying for Boyes, aye.

16 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Boyes refused to come off from what I saw...said he was fine and could manage the game out. Probably only realised the extent after the game

43 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I think the damage with ligament strains happens in the initial instance. So playing on won't have worsened the injury but will certainly have been very annoying for Boyes, aye.

Dunno, looked a lot worse after he played on a bit and completely broke down.

29 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Boyes refused to come off from what I saw...said he was fine and could manage the game out. Probably only realised the extent after the game

Think we could all see he was gubbed after the initial challenge on him, even said to my mate he should be coming off and wouldn't last much longer if he stayed on. But yeah i think i remember him being asked if he was ok to stay on so Maley could get a game, shouldn't really have been his decision to make though as it was obv he was in trouble, limping on for a bit.

Reminded me of the time at Parkhead when Brinquin went off on a stretcher then came back on and was hobbling about, cost us the game when we were drawing 2-2 and were 3 on 2 going for the winner, but lost the ball, got kicked up to Thompson who brushed aside the hobbling Brinquin, ran up to the byeline, squared it to Larsson in the 6 yard box and bang, Celtic get the winner in the 4th min of injury time. 

31 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Interesting that Oscar Rubio had been commenting on the new signing, retweeting it etc and then the image with the Rubio top 😍. Is he an agent or have the come across each others paths at some other point. Or is he just interested in a fellow CB signing for Livi.  

He seems to comment/retweet fairly often. Think he teaches English now, just loves the Livi.

Edited by LiviLion

15 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Cancar certainly hasn't been "frozen out" as that's something Martindale has the good sense not to do to players (less competent managers often do it, to the detriment of squad morale). 

He only really freezes out those players who plan to leave. From memory I'd say Shaun Byrne and Scott Robinson are the two highest profile, however this is also down to prioritising the development of other players or not bowing to agent's demands during a scoring purple patch. 

There's others who he quickly realises aren't up to it (Cece Pepe, Menga when he came back from loan etc) but they're slightly different to the former two  

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Trying to remember why Rubio left. It was after the cup final so presumably during the Flynn era?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/livingston/4663807.stm

Top of this suggests Lambert didn't rate him; but I'd put that down to wording and it was just a case of his contract was up and he went back to Spain. Someone might remember differently though.

Rubio bids fond farewell to Livi

Rubio has showered praise on Livingston despite leaving the Scottish Premier League club to return to Spain.

The 28-year-old defender is leaving following the arrival of Paul Lambert as manager during the summer.

Edited by LiviLion

38 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Interesting that Oscar Rubio had been commenting on the new signing, retweeting it etc and then the image with the Rubio top 😍. Is he an agent or have the come across each others paths at some other point. Or is he just interested in a fellow CB signing for Livi.  

Rubio went on to manage for a while in Spanish lower leagues. Luiyi played in the same leagues for a while so not unlikely that they'll have crossed paths before

7 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/livingston/4663807.stm

Top of this suggests Lambert didn't rate him; but I'd put that down to wording and it was just a case of his contract was up and he went back to Spain. Someone might remember differently though.

That will be the same Paul Lambert that took up to a almost record breaking lowest tally of points in the SPL (well until the Gretna thing I think).