Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, ATLIS said:

Has that not been the trademark for Livi over the last few years though? Goals throughout the team so we're not too reliant on strikers scoring. He offers a lot more than goals, not to the same effect as Nouble but he definitely offers us a lot

Yeah if he offered us an out ball like Nouble, or even Dolly the headless chicken, but i don't see that from Guthrie either. For a big guy he gets knocked over awfully easily, i'm not at the Goncalves stage of writing him off but he doesn't do it for me.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sounds like what we had with Ciftci last season.

Kept expecting him to do something amazing to shut everyone because football but nah, he was just shite the whole time.

Was honestly kind of jealous you signed Isma as he was great at Hearts, strange how its turned out.

Yeah would love it if Goncalves came good and shut us all the f**k up for slagging him off, but i've been hoping he'd do that for months now and he's looking worse now than when he first played for us at the start of the season.

1 minute ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah if he offered us an out ball like Nouble, or even Dolly the headless chicken, but i don't see that from Guthrie either. For a big guy he gets knocked over awfully easily, i'm not at the Goncalves stage of writing him off but he doesn't do it for me.

To be fair to him, he's made 6 appearances over 358 minutes, not really enough to properly judge him off of. I haven't seen him be knocked over too easily, his debut he seemed to have some decently strong linkup play. I don't think he's as bad as Menga tbh, he's far more reliable

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair to him, he's made 6 appearances over 358 minutes, not really enough to properly judge him off of. I haven't seen him be knocked over too easily, his debut he seemed to have some decently strong linkup play. I don't think he's as bad as Menga tbh, he's far more reliable

It was our pet hate (among the folk i sit with) seeing him hit the deck so often, but tbf to him he wins most of them as fouls, whereas Nouble really does get fouled like f**k and hardly gets anything, Refs eh.🤣

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

6 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It was our pet hate (among the folk i sit with) seeing him hit the deck so often, but tbf to him he wins most of them as fouls, whereas Nouble really does get fouled like f**k and hardly gets anything, Refs eh.🤣

If I was going to pick anyone out for doing it I would've said Anderson :D Nouble absolutely deserves more fouls, he gets sweet f**k all from refs at this point 

3 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

If I was going to pick anyone out for doing it I would've said Anderson :D Nouble absolutely deserves more fouls, he gets sweet f**k all from refs at this point 

Yeah Anderson takes full advantage of being 'fouled', he's also good at throwing himself into big CB's and winning the ball off them, like how he did before sending the ball through for Shinnie's offside goal against County. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Guthrie came into a league he didn't know and made a handful of appearances....he did ok without being outstanding. His link up play with Nouble and Bahamboula was pretty good and he got us up the pitch by winning fouls and holding the ball up. Let's face it, if he was the complete striker he wouldn't be at Livi. He's a good alternative to Anderson and certainly a better option than Goncalves or Hamilton

32 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Guthrie came into a league he didn't know and made a handful of appearances....he did ok without being outstanding. His link up play with Nouble and Bahamboula was pretty good and he got us up the pitch by winning fouls and holding the ball up. Let's face it, if he was the complete striker he wouldn't be at Livi. He's a good alternative to Anderson and certainly a better option than Goncalves or Hamilton

Pretty much my view. I’d be concerned if we started a season with him as the Number 9 but he’s shown enough good linkup play to replicate Nouble and enough effort to replicate Anderson when needed

4 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Either I did see it somewhere or have pulled the information from some cosmic realm but Martindale is hoping Parkes will be back in training in late February

Livingston boss 'happy' with injured defender's progress as he sets return to training date - Daily Record

Good to hear he's ahead of schedule. Martindale really seems to rate him and he comes across as a decent guy. If he's only returning to training in late February after almost 18 months out then I doubt we'll see much of him in the first team until the very end of the season if at all. Struck me as a more solid yet slightly less agile CB than the other guys we have

1 minute ago, LiviLion said:

Neil Hastings it is for the new Assistant Manager.

Christophe Berra also joining as a first team coach - presumably to fill the gap Bartley left to work with the defence.

Happy with that...continuity with Hastings and plenty of defensive experience with Berra. Berra joins from Raith, I wonder how he's been doing there.

45 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Happy with that...continuity with Hastings and plenty of defensive experience with Berra. Berra joins from Raith, I wonder how he's been doing there.

He retired in July to seek coaching opportunities elsewhere. Think his time at Raith as a player coach was very limited.

25 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I might be wrong but I think Berra was on the same uni course as Bartley.

Correct. https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/news/pro-footballers-gather-to-celebrate-their-academic-achievement 

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

He retired in July to seek coaching opportunities elsewhere. Think his time at Raith as a player coach was very limited.

Correct. https://www.napier.ac.uk/about-us/news/pro-footballers-gather-to-celebrate-their-academic-achievement 

"Livingston assistant manager Marvin Bartley, Greenock Morton boss Dougie Imrie, Forfar manager Gary Irvine, Joelle Murray (Hibs), Christophe Berra (Raith Rovers) and Liam Fontaine (Dundee) were among those who took part in the celebration and received a certificate of achievement."

I see we've found Martindale's coaching contacts book

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Also on the Guthrie chat, I've liked what I've seen of him so far. As someone else said he's not exactly had the time or chance to adjust to the league properly - a lot of Martindale signings tend to take a while to get going.

I must be missing what you're all seeing in Guthrie, is he playing great when i go to the toilet? 🤣