Livingston - all the threads merged

Yeah, Brandon seems much more similar to Devlin. Jack McMillan was a good player for us, but we missed the drive from right back when he played there

I'd echo the sentiments about the Athletic article, and especially the focus on analysis and sports science. However the only minor issue is the bit about our budget being used to sign players on 1 year deals. Who was the last player we signed on a one year deal, turned out to be good and we lost? Since being in the Premiership I'd say we've done a good job signing players for future years. 

22 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Yeah, Brandon seems much more similar to Devlin. Jack McMillan was a good player for us, but we missed the drive from right back when he played there

I'd echo the sentiments about the Athletic article, and especially the focus on analysis and sports science. However the only minor issue is the bit about our budget being used to sign players on 1 year deals. Who was the last player we signed on a one year deal, turned out to be good and we lost? Since being in the Premiership I'd say we've done a good job signing players for future years. 

Yeah the option to extend the deal for another season or two is built into a lot of our signings now too. So if they're any good we wont lose them for nothing*. Wasn't that how we managed to get Anderson for JET going to Aberdeen?

*well not unless like Halkett, Guthrie, and possibly Fitzwater, they let their contract wind down and don't sign an extension once it's up, not much you can do in those circumstances. Trick is getting them interest to sell them while they're still under contract, like Martindale tried doing with Fitzwater earlier on, and there has been  a media story on Obileye too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

4 minutes ago, Durnford said:

It looks like Jack Hamilton's loan to Hartlepool isn't going well. He's only made a handful of appearances from the bench and recently doesnt seem to have been in the squad at all. I'm assuming his niggling injury hasn't cleared up.

SPFL Championship seems to be his level i think, did reasonably well there, esp for Arbroath. Was bursting for him to come good for us in the Premiership, but his lack of pace and debatable stamina in a team like ours just wasn't cutting it. Was hoping he'd be a Ryan Hardie type striker for us but it hasn't happened.

1 minute ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Bahamboula scores a direct free kick for the reserves. Not something we've offered a threat from for a while

Hmmm... I think the boy we had on loan from Birmingham managed it last season. I think Josh Mullin may have done as well but that could have been two years ago.

Hmmm... I think the boy we had on loan from Birmingham managed it last season. I think Josh Mullin may have done as well but that could have been two years ago.
Yeah, there's maybe been one or 2 from direct free kicks since we got promoted (i remember Keaghan v Motherwell) but can't remember the last time we had a player that you would count on for a goal from a free kick. Even Josh Mullen had a pretty poor return

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
9 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Yeah, there's maybe been one or 2 from direct free kicks since we got promoted (i remember Keaghan v Motherwell) but can't remember the last time we had a player that you would count on for a goal from a free kick. Even Josh Mullen had a pretty poor return

Thinking about it - I suspect Josh's one was in the Betfred and not the league

27 minutes ago, Durnford said:

It looks like Jack Hamilton's loan to Hartlepool isn't going well. He's only made a handful of appearances from the bench and recently doesnt seem to have been in the squad at all. I'm assuming his niggling injury hasn't cleared up.

Their fans have really not taken to him, to the point they were perplexed at him coming off the bench ahead of their other attackers. Bit of a weird move for him but hasn't worked (so far at least), I can see him joining a top end Championship team for a couple seasons before he gets a proper crack at the Premiership.

21 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Following the Twitter updates of the reserve game and was caught off guard by the scorers name...until I realised it's Euan Griffiths.... although we do have a trialist in the starting 11

I was wondering if the trialist might have been Dylan McGeouch, think Martindale said we wouldn't be able to afford him (and we don't need him in any case IMO) but doesn't seem unrealistic that he'd want the minutes if we needed an extra body without risking injury to a first team player.

Edited by LiviLion

2 hours ago, The Wrong Car said:

Obileye has probably been our best defender this year, and with Fitzwater likely to leave I'd put him as a priority. Is the year option for him a player or club options?

I think they are all club options. The only announcement I've seen where they specifically mentioned a player option was for JET.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

There was talk on one of the threads about Martindale being the first person at Livi worthy of a statue. I propose Martindale and Pittman together like Walt Disney and Mickey Mouse emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pnga633fe373f0a386efc0d2cbdf3b32843.jpg

Fucking phenomenal :D 

Shamelessly lifted/spotted from the Motherwell thread

Tough really, would personally go: 

Nouble - Bit of a 3 way toss up between him and Holt/Montano, his goals against Rangers and Montano's injury slowing him down just nudges Nouble ahead for me.

George - In a few months I'll be scrambling back to edit this to Bahamboula and I'll think he'll properly kick on, but as of right now George is more important to us IMO.

Specific moment would be Nouble's goal in the first game v Rangers, perfect way to start the season. Top result would be the 1-1 draw at Ibrox.

I'll be optimistic and go for a 5th placed finish, anything above 11th would be superb once again though.

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah the option to extend the deal for another season or two is built into a lot of our signings now too. So if they're any good we wont lose them for nothing*. Wasn't that how we managed to get Anderson for JET going to Aberdeen?

*well not unless like Halkett, Guthrie, and possibly Fitzwater, they let their contract wind down and don't sign an extension once it's up, not much you can do in those circumstances. Trick is getting them interest to sell them while they're still under contract, like Martindale tried doing with Fitzwater earlier on, and there has been  a media story on Obileye too.

A fair point, sometimes it's probably worth keeping a player in the squad rather than cash in - Halkett, Gallagher and probably Fitzwater spring to mind

4 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Their fans have really not taken to him, to the point they were perplexed at him coming off the bench ahead of their other attackers. Bit of a weird move for him but hasn't worked (so far at least), I can see him joining a top end Championship team for a couple seasons before he gets a proper crack at the Premiership.

I doubt Hamilton will every make it at Premiership level - he lacks any sort of pace to play on his own as a striker at that level, and his finishing isn't good enough to move to a team that would accommodate him as a poacher

Player of the season -Montano, outstanding before picking up an injury, and gets the assist for Nouble's goal against Sevco in our last game.

Best signing -Bahamboula so far, has really shone in recent games where he's played too. Not convinced George is solid yet, kicking is a bit heart in mouth and his punches are weak, not too confident with him coming for high balls either, has pulled off a few good saves though but is still developing. St Kelly has been impressive in his first 2 starts too though and could be our best signing this season.

Top result/moment-Yeah has to be the 1-1 at Ibrox, so close to getting our first ever win there too. 

Predicted finish-top 6, and i reckon just like last season anyone getting there will be in with a shout for 4 & 5th place too. So fuckit, 4th.

Player of the Season - I'd go Montano for the change in form from last season. Nouble was good post-January, and has continued this form

Best Signing - Given the lack of starting XI turnover, i'll go George. Surprised at the comments above, as he seems to get much more distance than Stryjek in his kicks and seems very comfortable claiming the ball. Last season we lost goals as Stryjek tended to stick to his line during periods of pressure or rush passes to his CBs - George seems a much more calming influence. 

Top Result - A point at Ibrox, purely for the novelty factor

Predictions - 4th to 10th is entirely possible, but I'll go 6th

Yeah his kicking when not under pressure is fine, but pass backs under pressure he gives me the fear. He's punched a few to the edge of our box that have been picked up by opposition players and fired back in. Dropped one or two as well, just not comfortable looking dealing with crosses. With his height and build he should be absolutely dominating his box dealing with high balls.

Fair enough, I'd say the passing out to defence is part of Martindale's tactics, and a big reason why Stryjek wasn't Martindale's favourite. I can't really recall any dropped crosses to be fair and given Rangers had 73 crosses on Saturday I'd say he looks fine there. There's been a few other games like Hearts and Hibs at home when he seems happy to claim any looping crosses in the last few minutes.