Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, LogieLivi said:
2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:
I think this is bang on. We've built a squad suited for 4-3-3, and Martindale spoke before the season about playing a more 'attractive' brand of football. It's worked (to an extent) when we've done it, so no reason to go back to a variation of 5-3-2.
I think we could play a back 3 but as has been said it eliminates our threat from our wingers cutting in - and I reckon Bailey would be swiftly recalled if we just start sticking him at wing back.

The issue with playing Bailey at wing back is that it would then also take either Devlin or Penrice out of the team then too who have arguably been incredibly solid all season so far.

I think the profile of Bailey when we signed him was that he could play anywhere across the front 3, which seemed to be a buzz word for Martindale in the summer. I think he played central in behind the strikers at FGR

I can 100% see Pitts sliding out the team and into a rotation spot. I would imagine Bailey would be competing with Shinnie/Sibbald for the CAM role. Omeonga/Holt tend to play in the deeper lying roles.

I've no idea if we're going 352, this could just be a move to empty Kelly which would be nice. Then again, Bailey is a loan player here for 6 more months. I don't see us having a chance of getting him permanently so the needs of the team have to come first
Survival in the Premiership comes first for me. That means playing our best players which includes Bailey and Pittman for me.

We play so much better with Pitts in the team so I can't see him slipping out.

Just now, LogieLivi said:

Survival in the Premiership comes first for me. That means playing our best players which includes Bailey and Pittman for me.

We play so much better with Pitts in the team so I can't see him slipping out.

I 100% think Pittman should be playing, just to be clear. He does all the basic stuff perfectly and is exactly what we need, however for me him and Omeonga do a very similar job. In the same way, last season, Holt and Bartley struggled playing together as their jobs tended to overlap heavily. Holt on his own there this season has been arguably our best player.

We'll need a bigger squad and good solid rotation is a strong thing to have. What would you think our strongest midfield 3 in a 433 would be? There's a lot of players in there that have a claim to it, and even McMillan is now putting his foot into that conversation.

IMO I would have Sibbald-Omeonga-Holt mainly because of the creative output Sibbald gives us over Pittman and because of the technical ability Omeonga has over Pittman as well. 

You could easily swap out to allow for McMillan/Pittman to fill in when people are needing rests or rotated through suspension or injury

53 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

this could just be a move to empty Kelly which would be nice

Boyes displaces Kelly from left centre back, aye, but Kelly takes Williamson's place as centre mid back up. That's my guess on Martindale's thinking.

9 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

Boyes displaces Kelly from left centre back, aye, but Kelly takes Williamson's place as centre mid back up. That's my guess on Martindale's thinking.

Surely not :D Especially when we've got McMillan/Pittman/Keaghan/Penrice/Lewis that can all fill in at CM backup. I think it puts Kelly at 4th choice LB, 5th choice CB and 9th choice CM :D 

If he uses a midfield 3, Martindale always has a central anchor/holder. Kelly may even be first reserve to Holt in that role, given what we saw in the Motherwell match. 

6 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

If he uses a midfield 3, Martindale always has a central anchor/holder. Kelly may even be first reserve to Holt in that role, given what we saw in the Motherwell match. 

Absolutely no chance of that at all. Omeonga/McMillan/Keaghan all ahead of him. We had basically no one fit for the Motherwell game

5 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

I think may have just been due to horrendous squad depth for that game. There's Lewis who played that role earlier this season and Jacobs as well if he ever gets fit again who must be ahead of Kelly in that position.

If there is movement outwards (possibly not if they go back to 5 subs), I think one of the left back options may leave.

Will gladly eat humble pie if I'm wrong but I don't see the Boyes signing as anything more than cover at this stage.  He's played very little senior football and I think he will gradually be eased into the side.

I also think it would be extremely foolish to change formation at this stage of the season when the players finally look to be comfortable in 4-3-3.

16 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Will gladly eat humble pie if I'm wrong but I don't see the Boyes signing as anything more than cover at this stage.  He's played very little senior football and I think he will gradually be eased into the side.

I also think it would be extremely foolish to change formation at this stage of the season when the players finally look to be comfortable in 4-3-3.

Could be, the first thing I thought about when he signed was us letting Parkes leave at the start of next season. I'm not sure if Martindale is entirely confident in his ability, he was hooked at HT recently. He does genuinely look like he struggles at this level so a replacement for him, depending on Boyes actual quality may make sense.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Could be, the first thing I thought about when he signed was us letting Parkes leave at the start of next season. I'm not sure if Martindale is entirely confident in his ability, he was hooked at HT recently. He does genuinely look like he struggles at this level so a replacement for him, depending on Boyes actual quality may make sense.

Got hooked at HT against Hibs but i think he was injured, and hasn't been in the squad since. Did look dodgy in that game but then if he was injured that may have been why (think that's 3 times he's been out injured this season, bit of a liability in that respect too).

With Nouble coming into the team i think that gives Pittman an even greater shout to start for us, he's pretty decent at getting into goal scoring position inside the box, and Nouble will prob be providing us with plenty.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Can see why we released Panayiotou now :D Harrison Panayiotou claims 'toxic environment' led to Livingston exit | Glasgow Times

What a twat ffs, claims he never would've come to Livi if he knew he wasn't going to play. Sounds like a guy that wants to be handed a start in every game rather than earn it by being any good

Doesn't expand on what he means, didn't get panned by Martindale so silly comment to make. Stating the obvious there, saying he wouldn't have signed for Livi if he known he wouldn't get a game, nae shit batman. There wasn't exactly a Dykes type player keeping him out, if he'd shown he was good enough he'd have gotten a game, doubt Martindale wants to sign players to sit on the bench, or not even get in the match day squad. 

I watched the interview on the Aldershot youtube page. You could see he was disappointed with his lack of game time but I'm not convinced that the 'toxic environment' comment was necessarily saying the club was toxic, may have just been a toxic environment for him to go into work when he was often in the stands.

I keep banging this drum but having a big squad where many first team players are not getting in the squad regularly is not a good thing for morale. Hope we have seen the last season of this and can supplement our back-up with talented youth players going forward. Much better than making squad filling signings like Williamson and Panayiotou.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

I watched the interview on the Aldershot youtube page. You could see he was disappointed with his lack of game time but I'm not convinced that the 'toxic environment' comment was necessarily saying the club was toxic, may have just been a toxic environment for him to go into work when he was often in the stands.
I keep banging this drum but having a big squad where many first team players are not getting in the squad regularly is not a good thing for morale. Hope we have seen the last season of this and can supplement our back-up with talented youth players going forward. Much better than making squad filling signings like Williamson and Panayiotou.
I'm hoping the introduction of the youth system might see us introduce younger players into the squad

Article is clickbaity pish, and derived entirely from a single sentence he said in a 2 minute video. He doesn't elaborate on what he means by "toxic environment". Could be anything from Jack Hamilton bullying him to his neighbours hating him and giving him grief. Could be that he felt the fans weren't very supportive and got on the team's back too easily. Could be the government restricting crowd sizes and general attitude to anti-vaxxers (especially if he's an anti-vaxxer).

Based on the very little he said my best guess would be he's asked for more game time, been told he needs to earn it, and wasn't getting the chances he wanted, because for whatever reason Martindale didn't rate his quality or work rate high enough.

Edited by LiviLion

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Can see why we released Panayiotou now :D Harrison Panayiotou claims 'toxic environment' led to Livingston exit | Glasgow Times

What a twat ffs, claims he never would've come to Livi if he knew he wasn't going to play. Sounds like a guy that wants to be handed a start in every game rather than earn it by being any good

"I came from the 5th tier in England and don't understand how I couldn't get a game in the Scottish Premiership". Lol.