Livingston - all the threads merged

15 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

How fucking good is Jack McMillan in midfield? Mr Dependable at full back, wing back or centre back but outstanding playing further forward

He's that bit of height we've needed in the middle. Just such a dependable utility player, he's found his position for me though

He's taken over what was Steve Lawson's squad role, a right back or pressing centre mid. Good management from Martindale to let Lawson leave knowing McMillan was ready to step up.

1 hour ago, ol1vercloff said:

Max seemed to do himself a bit of harm diving for a ball at some point.  The transfer window needs to hurry up and open so that Martindale can get us a real sub goalie!

Aye, noticed him feeling his hamstring for a little while after that as well. Sitting shitting myself in case we needed to bring on Maley while holding onto a 1-0 lead :lol:

Even just someone on loan from some English Championship team would do it until the end of the season.

Aye, noticed him feeling his hamstring for a little while after that as well. Sitting shitting myself in case we needed to bring on Maley while holding onto a 1-0 lead [emoji38]
Even just someone on loan from some English Championship team would do it until the end of the season.
Robby McCrorie incoming [emoji15]

Panayiotou to go out on loan in January.  Do you think Jack Hamilton hides whenever Martindale is about, hoping he gets forgotten about and doesn't get sent out on loan to the seaside leagues again?
Harry signed a 2 year deal did he not? So it would make sense to move him on loan to get games and confidence heading into next season.

Jack has been working with Martindale (according to the piece Callum Carson did with Martindale talking about his striking options) on his conditioning and movement etc. Plus his contract is up at the end of the season. So he'll either get sold in Jan or stay about till the seasons end and make a few fleeting appearances here and there before leaving.

For all of Martindale's good signings, there are some amount of failures too.  If a 27 year old striker plays a few games then gets pumped out on loan, that's not a good sign for the future.  Similar happened to Dale Carrick a years ago.  So I guess we've seen the last of Reilly and Poplatnik as well.

For all of Martindale's good signings, there are some amount of failures too.  If a 27 year old striker plays a few games then gets pumped out on loan, that's not a good sign for the future.  Similar happened to Dale Carrick a years ago.  So I guess we've seen the last of Reilly and Poplatnik as well.
At this level, with the budget, scouting resources, covid restrictions and work permit issues due to Brexit Martindale has had to look at different markets for signings and every signing will be a gamble. It's well publicised that guys from the EFL tend to struggle with the fitness levels required on Scottish football and our style of play requires tip top conditioning. I'm sure if we could afford to bring in proven 20+ goal men then we would be doing just that

5 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
49 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

At this level, with the budget, scouting resources, covid restrictions and work permit issues due to Brexit Martindale has had to look at different markets for signings and every signing will be a gamble. It's well publicised that guys from the EFL tend to struggle with the fitness levels required on Scottish football and our style of play requires tip top conditioning. I'm sure if we could afford to bring in proven 20+ goal men then we would be doing just that

I'd say we've always had various restrictions over the years that have prevented us from signing proper good players, but Martindale was still able to find diamonds in the rough with next to no money.  I do think he needs an experienced adviser or someone to bounce ideas off.  I'm sure Bartley and Imrie know their stuff, but they're rookies.  Who's the modern day Archie Knox, the eternal assistant manager, who'd work for beans?

I'd say we've always had various restrictions over the years that have prevented us from signing proper good players, but Martindale was still able to find diamonds in the rough with next to no money.  I do think he needs an experienced adviser or someone to bounce ideas off.  I'm sure Bartley and Imrie know their stuff, but they're rookies.  Who's the modern day Archie Knox, the eternal assistant manager, who'd work for beans?

Before brexit we were able to scour the foreign markets much easier and even before that we were in lower divisions where the likes of Reilly, poplatnik etc may have flourished better. I do agree about an older head in the dugout. Never understood why more new managers don't do it. Maybe not necessarily "old" but at least have some experience. Gerrard bringing in MacAllister, Graham Potter bringing in Billy Reid. Would have liked us to maybe have looked at someone in the mould of Alex cleland but I'd imagine finances and their already pretty strong working relationship led to Marv coming in. He's got aspirations of management too which means at some point we could be in the same situation we were in when fox got a better offer

The double promotion team got relegated the season before too, which gave them all an easier league to gel into the unit that got us into the prem and stayed there. Dykes was an excellent bit of business and so was Guthrie, replacing Halkett, but yep, there has been a fair few that didn't make the grade too, and even Fitzwater took a couple of seasons to get decent for us, he's shining through this season without Guthrie being there, as is Stryjek, read there were a few issues he had to overcome, conditioning and attitude. 

The diamond in the rough type from lower leagues takes a wee while to get fit as well, part time players we bring in sometimes don't make the step up with the physical training they have to do, even took JET a while to get fit and he was an experienced pro footballer. Bailey has come good for us (where the feck has he been the last two games?), Montano is starting to look decent too, and Omeonga looks an outstanding signing these last 2 games, so DM is still finding good players. Oh and the odd experienced player like Shinnie doesn't do us any harm, he's still making very good signings.