Jump to content

Livingston - all the threads merged


Recommended Posts

Last nite...........,1 positive,Omeonga looks like he can do a job for us going forward.

2 negative,why was Lewis hooked a minute before half time?? It came across as very amateur!!

The other.....,that's twice Max has done that this season.....,kicking the ball to an opposing player on the edge of the box,then bang it's in the net.

Cant fault him generally but he needs to cut out the "brain fart" moments.

Dont know why he has them,but he needs to take a breath and concentrate before he rushes into making mistakes......

It's gone now,the League cup for this season but hopefully we learn from last nite.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What gets me is the naivety of the tactical nonce. Great win on Sunday with the shock tactic of playing Shinnie in a makeshift loan striker role but then trying almost exactly the same thing again and thinking that Slippy wouldn't cotton on and instruct his defence to keep him double marked at all times; blunting any eventual threat. No shots at goal the entire game says it all really.

The aim was obviously to try and restrict all attacking movement by the rangers to a minimum whilst hoping for a chance to nick a winner; in some sense maybe you could argue that was working in the first half, however no goal threat at all really says it all.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dunno i thought first half we were doing fine, a few attacks just didn't quite come off in and around their box, but it wasn't all one sided, we were getting the odd decent attack against them. Also would've been why Martindale was trying to play mind games saying Shinnie wouldn't be playing just 3 days after the Celtic game, as we'd need to look after him in case he got injured again.

Once they scored though we had no plan B, and just kept everything the same, replacing Shinnie with Anderson. Would've been interesting seeing how bringing Anderson on alongside Shinnie would've worked, playing 2 up front. With Alan Forrest, brother of Celtic's James supporting them too. May well have been gubbed 4-0 but would've at least had a go after going behind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Last nite...........,1 positive,Omeonga looks like he can do a job for us going forward.

2 negative,why was Lewis hooked a minute before half time?? It came across as very amateur!!

The other.....,that's twice Max has done that this season.....,kicking the ball to an opposing player on the edge of the box,then bang it's in the net.

Cant fault him generally but he needs to cut out the "brain fart" moments.

Dont know why he has them,but he needs to take a breath and concentrate before he rushes into making mistakes......

It's gone now,the League cup for this season but hopefully we learn from last nite.

 

The timing was maybe a bit strange, but the reason for making it was prob because Patterson was getting too many runs into our box from that side, and McMillan is a better defender, The way he reacted to being subbed may see him finding himself out the side for a few games though, Martindale wont stand for that behaviour, as Robbo found out.

What annoyed me more was the substitutions being like for like positional wise, particularly after they scored, we didn't do anything to make tactical changes in our shape to go for a goal in the 2nd half. Was just like the cup final defeat last season. You knew once we conceded to go behind we were out. Although Max didn't help gifting them their 2nd, that really did it for us. Then he made a really good save not much later. Yeah he really needs to calm it down a bit cutting out the risky passes around his box, when not even under much pressure.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

What gets me is the naivety of the tactical nonce. Great win on Sunday with the shock tactic of playing Shinnie in a makeshift loan striker role but then trying almost exactly the same thing again and thinking that Slippy wouldn't cotton on and instruct his defence to keep him double marked at all times; blunting any eventual threat. No shots at goal the entire game says it all really.

The aim was obviously to try and restrict all attacking movement by the rangers to a minimum whilst hoping for a chance to nick a winner; in some sense maybe you could argue that was working in the first half, however no goal threat at all really says it all.

 

Bit harsh calling Martindale a nonce

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The timing was maybe a bit strange, but the reason for making it was prob because Patterson was getting too many runs into our box from that side, and McMillan is a better defender, The way he reacted to being subbed may see him finding himself out the side for a few games though, Martindale wont stand for that behaviour, as Robbo found out.

Didn't seem that bad a reaction. Understandable he would be annoyed but he didn't storm down the tunnel a la Robinson. 

Agree with much of what has been said. Thought we were looking ok first half but weak down the left hand side due to Montano not tracking. He seemed to drift inside and let Holt and Lewis cover his position. Might have been tactically set up that way, hence why Lewis was hooked rather than Montano.

Also was disappointed at the subs. I would have used this game as an opportunity for some of the players we haven't seen much of this season, a la Montano. I think Hamilton or Panayiotou would have both been better options than Anderson who came on and offered a similar proposition to Shinnie. Believe we could use up to 5 subs so the decision to not use more than 3 was surprising.

Edited by EdinburghLivi
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't seem that bad a reaction. Understandable he would be annoyed but he didn't storm down the tunnel a la Robinson. 
Agree with much of what has been said. Thought we were looking ok first half but weak down the left hand side due to Montano not tracking. He seemed to drift inside and let Holt and Lewis cover his position. Might have been tactically set up that way, hence why Lewis was hooked rather than Montano.
Also was disappointed at the subs. I would have used this game as an opportunity for some of the players we haven't seen much of this season, a la Montano. I think Hamilton or Panayiotou would have both been better options than Anderson who came on and offered a similar proposition to Shinnie. Believe we could use up to 5 subs so the decision to not use more than 3 was surprising.
Going by Davie's comments after the game, he saw 2-0 as being game over. Reckon he opted to see it out rather than risk further injury to guys before a a more important game on Saturday
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Didn't seem that bad a reaction. Understandable he would be annoyed but he didn't storm down the tunnel a la Robinson. 

Agree with much of what has been said. Thought we were looking ok first half but weak down the left hand side due to Montano not tracking. He seemed to drift inside and let Holt and Lewis cover his position. Might have been tactically set up that way, hence why Lewis was hooked rather than Montano.

Also was disappointed at the subs. I would have used this game as an opportunity for some of the players we haven't seen much of this season, a la Montano. I think Hamilton or Panayiotou would have both been better options than Anderson who came on and offered a similar proposition to Shinnie. Believe we could use up to 5 subs so the decision to not use more than 3 was surprising.

Martindale tried to give him a wee hug on the way past but he shrugged it off and said something, you saw Martindale turning round and giving him a wee look, wasn't as bad a strop as Robbo or Souda, but i think he'll be having a word with him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Martindale tried to give him a wee hug on the way past but he shrugged it off and said something, you saw Martindale turning round and giving him a wee look, wasn't as bad a strop as Robbo or Souda, but i think he'll be having a word with him.

He's posted a picture on his Instagram saying "We go again 🦁" so I'm guessing he's over it, as should the rest of us be. It's a nothing affair.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thought Lewis played pretty well, any passing move we had in the first half he was involved in. Montano defensively looked the weak link to me, a yard off the pace leaving penrice with two men, many times in the first half. Think Lewis perhaps took the brunt of montano not covering well enough defensively. Could’ve been because davie was on the far side of the pitch and couldn’t see quite how big a gap montano was leaving down the wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, spiggle said:

Davie said in an interview that Lewis turned an ankle in the pre-match warm up and he was hooked because they saw he was limping. Lewis didn't want to come off but Davie didn't want to aggravate it any further. 

 

Worth noting as well that DM doesn't do the pre-match warm up. It was flagged by Imrie and Bartley but said that it wasn't bad and he was okay but he was visibly limping throughout the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a boy btw. Roll on January 

 Arbroath v Kilmarnock: ‘Nouble… got a bit of flavour’ - meet the striker making big impact - BBC Sport

Also just noticed Halkett is out of contract in the summer and has publicly admitted Hearts have yet to open talks over a new deal with him. Can you imagine we somehow got him back, would be utterly mental :D 

Edited by ATLIS
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

What a boy btw. Roll on January 

 Arbroath v Kilmarnock: ‘Nouble… got a bit of flavour’ - meet the striker making big impact - BBC Sport

Also just noticed Halkett is out of contract in the summer and has publicly admitted Hearts have yet to open talks over a new deal with him. Can you imagine we somehow got him back, would be utterly mental :D 

Shhhh dinnae let Motherwell know ffs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Long ball is absolutely fine and actually I would recommend it given that we are hopeless at passing it around the back. 

What isn't fine is chucking on Anderson with 25 minutes to go to proceed with that tactic. Panayiotou and Hamilton must be wondering what they need to do to get a start...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Long ball is absolutely fine and actually I would recommend it given that we are hopeless at passing it around the back. 

What isn't fine is chucking on Anderson with 25 minutes to go to proceed with that tactic. Panayiotou and Hamilton must be wondering what they need to do to get a start...

Yep Anderson isn't a target man and wins fuckall with that sort of service. Pointless playing that kind of football to him. 

Shame we played almost a replica ball into Shinnie that he scored against Celtic, but his first touch evaded him and it was gone. Maybe too many games in a row starting him up front (3 in a week), looked a pale shade of himself in the Celtic game, with hardly anything sticking to him.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah we'll be fine when January comes and Nouble comes back to save us.......................right?🤪

 

Might help if we had a striker, 1 on the bench and another 2 dropped out the squad, when we go with a midfielder up front. Worked against Celtic but that was prob because it was unexpected, maybe needs to go back to playing either Anderson or Hamilton, or even giving Panayiotou a go. Whoever goes up front though, we needs to play it through the midfield and attack in numbers, punting it up to whoever is playing up front isn't giving them much chance. Our best moves today came from balls across their box, 3 or 4 times we came close to getting on the end of those in front of goal.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...