Livingston - all the threads merged

Utterly inexcusable failure to get a CB in. Thought Martindale had reflected well on the matter, saying he needs a CB and then teasing a signing. For that to turn out to be yet another CM and fail to get a CB in with 10 minutes of the window left is utterly horrific. 

Popescu was available and he's went to Hamilton on loan.

Just trying to comprehend the squad and make it as balanced as it could possibly be in terms of options. I think our best bet might be the 'break glass in case of emergency' 4-2-3-1.

GK: Stryjek, Barden

RB: Devlin, McMillan

CB: Fitzwater, Obileye, Parkes, Kelly *shudders*

LB: Longridge, Penrice

CM: Holt, Omeonga, Jacobs, Williamson

RM: Bailey, Shinnie, Kabia

AM: Pittman, Sibbald

LM: Forrest, Lewis, Montano

ST: Anderson, Hamilton, Panayiotou

It's not stupidly unbalanced if you take it like this. Furthermore, if you take the panic signing of Kelly out of it, I'd be relatively happy with the cover we have for every position. A lot is riding on Parkes getting fit and being decent. 

Edit to add: Despite the cover, the defence is still lacking quality in every position.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

44 minutes ago, coprolite said:

He has been shite so far but was our only fit proper cb until Bates signed. 

We have plenty of central mids if you need any though. 

Funny you mention that, we've got about 12 if you fancy any as well :D 

10 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Just trying to comprehend the squad and make it as balanced as it could possibly be in terms of options. I think our best bet might be the 'break glass in case of emergency' 4-2-3-1.

GK: Stryjek, Barden

RB: Devlin, McMillan

CB: Fitzwater, Obileye, Parkes, Kelly *shudders*

LB: Longridge, Penrice

CM: Holt, Omeonga, Jacobs, Williamson

RM: Bailey, Shinnie, Kabia

AM: Pittman, Sibbald

LM: Forrest, Lewis, Montano

ST: Anderson, Hamilton, Panayiotou

It's not stupidly unbalanced if you take it like this. Furthermore, if you take the panic signing of Kelly out of it, I'd be relatively happy with the cover we have for every position. A lot is riding on Parkes getting fit and being decent. 

Edit to add: Despite the cover, the defence is still lacking quality in every position.

You're absolutely right. When you see it written down like that then with regard to quantity, it doesn't look bad at all. The issue as you say is with quality, and it's all over the pitch.

Obileye, not a centre half. Good player, but not a centre half. Omeonga? Need him to hit the ground running. Jacobs? Not convinced that he's Premiership standard now. Pittman? Love the wee guy like you wouldn't believe, but for whatever reason he hasn't kicked a ball in months. Hamilton? Would love nothing more than to see him fire, but it hasn't happened yet and who knows if it will.

It just feels very "jam tomorrow". We'll be fine if this one gets up to speed, or once that one comes back frominjury, or once we score a goal or get a point. 

12 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Obileye, not a centre half. Good player, but not a centre half.

He's been commanding and composed. Good positioning, good aerially, decent distribution. 

13 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Omeonga? Need him to hit the ground running

Central midfield is a strong area for the team meaning Omeonga can be phased in over time. 

15 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Jacobs? Not convinced that he's Premiership standard now

He's made two substitute appearances so let's wait until we have a larger sample size before we judge.

19 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Pittman? Love the wee guy like you wouldn't believe, but for whatever reason he hasn't kicked a ball in months.

The midfield was worse without him against Hibs. He's crucial. 

24 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

Hamilton? Would love nothing more than to see him fire, but it hasn't happened yet and who knows if it will.

In his recent substitute appearances, the team has been playing in a stretched 5-3-2 and he's had to make do with low quality, long passes towards him often from the centre backs.

36 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

You're absolutely right. When you see it written down like that then with regard to quantity, it doesn't look bad at all. The issue as you say is with quality, and it's all over the pitch.

Obileye, not a centre half. Good player, but not a centre half. Omeonga? Need him to hit the ground running. Jacobs? Not convinced that he's Premiership standard now. Pittman? Love the wee guy like you wouldn't believe, but for whatever reason he hasn't kicked a ball in months. Hamilton? Would love nothing more than to see him fire, but it hasn't happened yet and who knows if it will.

It just feels very "jam tomorrow". We'll be fine if this one gets up to speed, or once that one comes back frominjury, or once we score a goal or get a point. 

Think you've got Pittman and Jacobs mixed up there as its Keaghan that hasn't kicked a ball in months. I don't think its so much a case of Pittman not being premiership level as he's shown the last few years that he can mix it at this level. Perhaps more a case of him being played into the ground, other than his injury a couple of seasons ago he's played practically every game for us. Maybe a spell away from the starting 11 will do him the world of good. In fact, I did wonder if Omeonga is seen as an alternative to Pittman. Anytime I've seen him play he's been that engine buzzing around the midfield picking up the ball and driving forward, exactly what Pittman does so well on his day but perhaps with a bit more quality

Edited by Cptn Hooch

20 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Think you've got Pittman and Jacobs mixed up there as its Keaghan that hasn't kicked a ball in months. I don't think its so much a case of Pittman not being premiership level as he's shown the last few years that he can mix it at this level. Perhaps more a case of him being played into the ground, other than his injury a couple of seasons ago he's played practically every game for us. Maybe a spell away from the starting 11 will do him the world of good. In fact, I did wonder if Omeonga is seen as an alternative to Pittman. Anytime I've seen him play he's been that engine buzzing around the midfield picking up the ball and driving forward, exactly what Pittman does so well on his day but perhaps with a bit more quality

I don't have them mixed up. I meant that metaphorically, Pittman hasn't kicked a ball in months. Gone seems to be the wee dynamo who would cover every blade of grass, be a scoring threat at the top end of the pitch and a combative threat at the back. For what it's worth, I think you're absolutely right in that the sheer number of games he's played in recent seasons has worn him down.  

34 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

He's been commanding and composed. Good positioning, good aerially, decent distribution. 

Central midfield is a strong area for the team meaning Omeonga can be phased in over time. 

He's made two substitute appearances so let's wait until we have a larger sample size before we judge.

The midfield was worse without him against Hibs. He's crucial. 

In his recent substitute appearances, the team has been playing in a stretched 5-3-2 and he's had to make do with low quality, long passes towards him often from the centre backs.

Re Obileye, I'm not doubting he's any of those things. I don't though think for a second he was signed as a centre back. I think his place is defensive midfield.

Point taken re Omeonga. Again though, it's jam tomorrow. We may not even see him this month by the sounds of it. Whether I'd class our midfield as "strong", I don't know about that. 

Re Jacobs - again, point taken, and it's wonderful to see him back. But again - jam tomorrow. 

Re Pittman - agreed. 

Re Hamilton - I think there's a really good striker there, I'm just not sure of his level. It's hard to judge on sub appearances, you're right. 

Hard to judge on anything just now, don't think we've had 11 fit players on the pitch in any Premiership game this season, we're playing 3 or 4 every game with injuries, and/or not fully recovered from illnesses because we're so stretched fielding a team.

This must be the worst pre season we've had, with players getting covid and the norovirus.

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Hard to judge on anything just now, don't think we've had 11 fit players on the pitch in any Premiership game this season, we're playing 3 or 4 every game with injuries, and/or not fully recovered from illnesses because we're so stretched fielding a team.

This must be the worst pre season we've had, with players getting covid and the norovirus.

Dont forget Kelly apparently playing with two cracked ribs as well. 

27 minutes ago, Menga Bus said:

Fixtures are pretty brutal for this month again, need to get a result against Dundee. Then, maybe we can hope for our typically good home form against Celtic to continue this season. And then Rangers and hearts away, not fun.

Trouble is are there any really easy fixtures this season?

Normally I'd point the finger at Ross County or perhaps St. Mirren but neither are a walk in the park. St Johnstone have been weakened but even so there's not going to be the obvious cushion that we've had in other years.

32 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Trouble is are there any really easy fixtures this season?

This is the problem with Martindale's 'we won't be relegated' nonsense from last week. Doesn't look like there are any garbage teams in the league this year (Ross County aside but they have the money pit) so we will have to actually be good to avoid relegation. 

We have a lot of good players, they need to start showing it.