Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

The best part of 20 years ago we had a "tie-up" with Manchester United.  There were all sorts of promises but, as far as I can recall, the only player we got was Nicky Culkin - actually a good goalkeeper until injury ended his career prematurely.

Kirk Hilton joined from Man Utd on loan as well.

The thing with Brescia was official too during that era, I think. Massimiliano Caputo and Carlos Dario Aurelio deputised very ably for Barry Wilson and David Bingham at times during the 01/02 season. Simone Del Nero also came on loan from Brescia but never got into the team.

Have any of our recent signings from the obscure abroad places worked out really well? I'd say JET's been good, but even then we're only ending up getting a few good months out of him. Souda never really got going (was thinking Menga as well but he came from Blackpool). Poplatnik might have been good if he didn't pick up an injury after he got a couple starts but doubt we'll be remembering him in 18 months. Lars Lokotsch got about a game and a half. Ibrahima Savane probably existed. Cece Pepe will still be pinging simple 5 yard passes into the stands somewhere. Henk van Schaik got a 30 second cameo.

Steve Lawson? I'm still a fan of his but still hasn't nailed down a starting place at any point unless we had injuries

Maybe being picky but wouldn't even count Serrano in the same list, Monaco aren't exactly some mid-table 3rd tier Algerian club. But he would definitely be the best player we've picked up from abroad recently for me, unless I'm missing someone obvious.

Edited by LiviLion

I think Souda was and Serrano and Lawson have been good for us but I would agree with your overall point. A lot of garbage brought in from foreign markets. 

The partnering with top Premier League teams sounds a lot more promising. Would love to get another Matija Sarkic.

More on Martindale and player recruitment.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-david-martindale-confirms-24086486

What Martindale says in that interview likely explains why we haven't seen more of Diani. The SFA/SPFL secured a temporary continuation of pre-Brexit rules for the January window and that allowed Diani's loan move. Brexit rules now apply from the next transfer window, though, making his permanent signing impossible. Finding out he wasn't going to be able to sign permanently for the club will've removed the incentive to play him.

Edited by FreedomFarter

18 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

The thing with Brescia was official too during that era, I think. Massimiliano Caputo and Carlos Dario Aurelio deputised very ably for Barry Wilson and David Bingham at times during the 01/02 season. Simone Del Nero also came on loan from Brescia but never got into the team.

Del Nero played against Rangers.

19 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

I have fond memories of the enthusiastic, talented Aurelio spending more time diving than on his feet. A great, skilful player but one for the theatrics. 

23 minutes ago, spiggle said:

I have fond memories of the enthusiastic, talented Aurelio spending more time diving than on his feet. A great, skilful player but one for the theatrics. 

Yeah he was a useless c**t, fell down whenever anyone came near him. Was him that cost us a win at Celtic park too, and we ended up losing 3-2 in ET when Larsson popped up and scored the winner.

We were 2 on 1 at the edge of their box with Fernandez on the ball, he looked up and saw it was that useless c**t Aurelio as the spare man, so decided to take the Celtic player on himself, lost the ball, they booted it up to Thompson, who brushed aside an injured Brinquin, and he ran up and squared it to Larsson for a tap in. If it had been anyone other than Aurelio as our spare player Fernandez would've squared it to him and we'd have won 3-2.

Maybe the concern is Guthrie hasn't been at his best when captain...maybe the added responsibility doesn't suit him and letting Devlin, who would make a good captain, take over will let Jon concentrate on what he does best

7 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/young-livingston-trio-part-play-24099293

Mentions Pignatiello being around next season so I assume he has a contract running until at least 2022?

I imagine it'll be no one paying compensation for him, and we'll offer a deal on similar terms. So if he does go someone has to put up a lump fee for him

Edited by ATLIS

Last game let's ditch 4-2-3-1 and go 4-3-3.  Keep the slow the game down defensive midfielders off the park.

Stryjek

Devlin     Ambrose     Guthrie  Longridge

McMillan    Diani   Sibbald 

Kabia       Jet        Forrest

2 hours ago, Scrutinizer said:

Last game let's ditch 4-2-3-1 and go 4-3-3.  Keep the slow the game down defensive midfielders off the park.

Stryjek

Devlin     Ambrose     Guthrie  Longridge

McMillan    Diani   Sibbald 

Kabia       Jet        Forrest

I agree we should be looking to ditch the 4-2-3-1 but I'd be tempted to go more 3-5-2.

Stryjek

Efe - Fitzwater - Guthrie

McMillan - Sibbald - Bartley - Pittman - Longridge

Kabia - Jet

Use our wingbacks to keep Rooney etc pushed back

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I agree we should be looking to ditch the 4-2-3-1 but I'd be tempted to go more 3-5-2.

Stryjek

Efe - Fitzwater - Guthrie

McMillan - Sibbald - Bartley - Pittman - Longridge

Kabia - Jet

Use our wingbacks to keep Rooney etc pushed back

Rooney will likely be playing centre half. One of their back 3 is isolating.