Livingston - all the threads merged

10 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Martindale saying that Stryjek has a bad back injury, hence why McCrorie has been playing. Hopefully we don't have to put Maley in goals against Rangers post-split...

It might be a meaningless game by then so why no

Is Lithgow likely to get a contract in the summer?

Just wondering because I know Hopkin had him before and he was a huge player in getting you guys promoted. Add to the fact that we’ll need to strengthen our defence next season and it makes sense that we would be interested if you let him go.

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is Lithgow likely to get a contract in the summer?

Just wondering because I know Hopkin had him before and he was a huge player in getting you guys promoted. Add to the fact that we’ll need to strengthen our defence next season and it makes sense that we would be interested if you let him go.

Probably depends on how he does in the post split games. If he looks anywhere near where he was previously we'll give him a 1 year + 1 optional probably. If he looks to have deteriorated as a player considerably then we'll let him off with well wishes. Cracking no nonsense defender before, didn't take the ball on the ground well but did basic defending well. Had a good cross pitch ball to when punting it 40-50 yards. 

Saturday is his first proper game fit and available for about 18 months as he was waiting on an appendix operation which was indefinitely delayed due to COVID. 

I would imagine he'd still do a job if he has deteriorated as a player but he wasn't blessed with pace before. Stick him in with 2 great CBs in a 352 and he'll do okay. 

Would be a huge risk for Hoppy but I'd imagine he's more forward thinking that going back to previous players he'd managed. I'd maybe look out for him using stats based recruitment as that's what DM while working with him (and continued doing). I know personally Hoppy has used The Rangers Report (@TheGersReport) for information regarding what players are standing out at a lower level. In particular it's how he found Lithgow - another question is how Ayr fans would react to Alan's past?

I'd put a bigger bet on guys coming in from League 1 and League 2 who've been standing out or have stood out. Kouider-Aissa maybe a shout on loan from us, Jack Hamilton a possibility too. Tam O'Brien at Arboath is one Hopkin likes I know, he's also fond of Bob McHugh as well.

Probably depends on how he does in the post split games. If he looks anywhere near where he was previously we'll give him a 1 year + 1 optional probably. If he looks to have deteriorated as a player considerably then we'll let him off with well wishes. Cracking no nonsense defender before, didn't take the ball on the ground well but did basic defending well. Had a good cross pitch ball to when punting it 40-50 yards. 

Saturday is his first proper game fit and available for about 18 months as he was waiting on an appendix operation which was indefinitely delayed due to COVID. 

I would imagine he'd still do a job if he has deteriorated as a player but he wasn't blessed with pace before. Stick him in with 2 great CBs in a 352 and he'll do okay. 

Would be a huge risk for Hoppy but I'd imagine he's more forward thinking that going back to previous players he'd managed. I'd maybe look out for him using stats based recruitment as that's what DM while working with him (and continued doing). I know personally Hoppy has used The Rangers Report (@TheGersReport) for information regarding what players are standing out at a lower level. In particular it's how he found Lithgow - another question is how Ayr fans would react to Alan's past?

I'd put a bigger bet on guys coming in from League 1 and League 2 who've been standing out or have stood out. Kouider-Aissa maybe a shout on loan from us, Jack Hamilton a possibility too. Tam O'Brien at Arboath is one Hopkin likes I know, he's also fond of Bob McHugh as well.

If he brought guys up a level I’d be okay with that provided they could handle the step up. I’ve just got the fear a bit after his recruitment at Morton but I’m hoping that was more down to taking what he could get rather than thinking he was building a good squad.

21 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

If he brought guys up a level I’d be okay with that provided they could handle the step up. I’ve just got the fear a bit after his recruitment at Morton but I’m hoping that was more down to taking what he could get rather than thinking he was building a good squad.

He was never in charge of transfers with us, so finding a DoF asap would be the best thing Ayr could do. I think Morton was the first time he had full reins at recruitment given their situation so I won't jump the gun. By all accounts it was Martindale putting these guys in front of him, but a great coaching and a great motivator of players.

If you guys go to 352 and start doing double/triple sessions then you'll be fine. Livi basically just put the emphasis on being fitter than the other team and running them off the park, Hoppy brought in more sport science stuff and ice baths etc. 

I think you guys will be fine, not sure he'll get you up but you'll be comfortable enough for a while

A lot of my in-laws are lifelong Morton supporter (4+ generations) and they were telling me that Hopkins was paying a lot of the players expenses out of his own pocket because the owner refused to. If true I wouldn't put too much reliance on what happened at Morton recruitment wise.

As for Lithgow; I'm not too sure. I think his first return after his injury was against Hamilton. He scored within the first ten minutes but was a liability thereafter. His long throws were a benefit but only when we had tall guys in the middle to reap the benefit. Otherwise we have better central defence options in my opinion.

Incidentally I was amazed to see that McCrorie celebrated his 23rd birthday the other day. I though he was way younger than that; I would have expected a goalkeeper of 23 to play with more maturity and a lot more control of his defence.

Sure it was a hip op he was needing, he returned from getting his appendix done but wasn't right with a hip problem. Fully fit he's def an asset to the team, very underestimated player, good ball skills too, the amount of times i've seen him drag the ball back turning a striker the wrong way, then making a 40 yard pass up the pitch. Good in the air too, could slot in to the role Brown played easily.

36 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Sure it was a hip op he was needing, he returned from getting his appendix done but wasn't right with a hip problem. Fully fit he's def an asset to the team, very underestimated player, good ball skills too, the amount of times i've seen him drag the ball back turning a striker the wrong way, then making a 40 yard pass up the pitch. Good in the air too, could slot in to the role Brown played easily.

Lithgow was a great servant for us but he's been out for two years now. Also he's now 33; not a huge age but a challenge if he needs to get fully fit again. As they say time-and tide-wait-for-no-man.

If he's fully recovered then it reasonable to assume that his playing days are far from over but I suspect the speed of the Premiership might be just one step too far.

Would it be controversial if I claimed your central midfield 3 should be Sibbald, Holt, and Pittman?

Mucking about with something and they come out as your best 3 CMs in terms of complimenting each other. Doesn't feel right as always felt Bartley is necessary to win the ball back etc., but hes come out really poorly this season under that, it doesn't factor in height or anything though.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Lithgow was a great servant for us but he's been out for two years now. Also he's now 33; not a huge age but a challenge if he needs to get fully fit again. As they say time-and tide-wait-for-no-man.

If he's fully recovered then it reasonable to assume that his playing days are far from over but I suspect the speed of the Premiership might be just one step too far.

Marv is a fine example for him, if anything Marv has had a new lease of life at Livi, has a surprising burst of pace for an old fella too, and has made great surging runs up the wing, something he didn't do at Hibs (according to Michael Stewart on Sportscene).

Lithgow will have 5 or 6 games to prove himself, and will also be a test to see if he doesn't break down, or pick up any new injuries, that's something related to age, it gets harder to recover each time. He at least deserves a chance to prove himself, he's shown in the past he can step up a level and surprise everyone.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would it be controversial if I claimed your central midfield 3 should be Sibbald, Holt, and Pittman?

Mucking about with something and they come out as your best 3 CMs in terms of complimenting each other. Doesn't feel right as always felt Bartley is necessary to win the ball back etc., but hes come out really poorly this season under that, it doesn't factor in height or anything though.

Our attacking mid three?

Holt/Marv/Sibbs are more seen as holding midfielders, although Sibbs has also played in the attacking mids. Forrest and Mullen seem to swap around as one of the attacking mids, with Pittman being a stalwart attacking mid player. In the past Robbo has played there too and done a good job, so wouldn't mind seeing Poplatnik in there, behind the striker, maybe JET being the focal point if he plays as well as he did against Accies.

10 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Our attacking mid three?

Holt/Marv/Sibbs are more seen as holding midfielders, although Sibbs has also played in the attacking mids. Forrest and Mullen seem to swap around as one of the attacking mids, with Pittman being a stalwart attacking mid player. In the past Robbo has played there too and done a good job, so wouldn't mind seeing Poplatnik in there, behind the striker, maybe JET being the focal point if he plays as well as he did against Accies.

Holt and Sibbald sitting, and Pittman more advanced. Or even Sibbald/Pittman either side of Holt.

Was just an interesting thing that popped up that I wondered about. Energy of Holt/Sibbald might make up for what you lose with Bartley.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Holt and Sibbald sitting, and Pittman more advanced. Or even Sibbald/Pittman either side of Holt.

Was just an interesting thing that popped up that I wondered about. Energy of Holt/Sibbald might make up for what you lose with Bartley.

I think Bartley provides a lot in game management, his fouls won is pretty incredible. Controls the game very well in the middle. If anyone was going to drop out it'd be Holt as he does a lot of the similar stuff Bartley does only worse. Sibbald-Bartley with Pittman in front of him is the ideal 3 for me. 

Would be interesting seeing Diani if he manages to play as he's a defensive mid who could be earmarked as the successor to Bartley if we pick up the option to buy (again if he ever plays as we're waiting on the government sorting his stuff out - accidentally let in the country as a tourist at Edinburgh Airport and wasn't given entry on his work permit despite it being applied for and AFAIK approved.)

17 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think Bartley provides a lot in game management, his fouls won is pretty incredible. Controls the game very well in the middle. If anyone was going to drop out it'd be Holt as he does a lot of the similar stuff Bartley does only worse. Sibbald-Bartley with Pittman in front of him is the ideal 3 for me. 

Would be interesting seeing Diani if he manages to play as he's a defensive mid who could be earmarked as the successor to Bartley if we pick up the option to buy (again if he ever plays as we're waiting on the government sorting his stuff out - accidentally let in the country as a tourist at Edinburgh Airport and wasn't given entry on his work permit despite it being applied for and AFAIK approved.)

Yeah, big issue sometimes with statistics is you miss the obvious things. This is where I was at/why I wondered about Bartley...

Spoiler

1203442440_download(19).png.bfdf40ca19bbc3fc76cc10745faf78a8.png

405308356_download(20).png.01c39d60b8ca411ee30d25031204349e.png

534632172_download(21).png.076967e38fa2a1f55267b109ced2a3dc.png

Its more than likely flawed, but seemed like all 3 have a nice balance if you take out Bartley, but its interesting now they're together that theres not one person whos better than Bartley all round.

Martindale's preference has been to have all four of Pittman, Bartley, Sibbald and Holt in the side with one of the latter two moved to playing narrow on the right if Alan Forrest is selected at left wing, or narrow on the left if Josh Mullin plays at right wing.

Edited by FreedomFarter