Livingston - all the threads merged

14 minutes ago, LogieLivi said:

Now you mention it im also astonished that we forgot that game!
I think though we are trying to stick with games we have actually been to and I'm guessing none of us were in attendance at that particular game.

I did mention a cup game at McDiarmid that I went to. We must have been Div 1 and St Johnstone were pretty shite in the SPL at the time but we got humped 3 or 4-0 i think. We try to keep things as positive as possible as well haha.

Ah right, yeah usually turgid affairs that we lose by a goal in the last minute, but for some reason i keep on going to games there, prob with it being quite close and just along the M8. Glad i went to that game though.

Good interview with Bingo (sorry David), his 5's side was fantastic.

A bit frail defensively yesterday so let’s hope we’ll see Guthrie and possibly Serrano back in soon. Missed big Brown! It’s not often we concede two goals to a team outside the OF.

Overall, I think I’d have taken beating Aberdeen over St J. We are still looking up the league. Yesterday might just be the wee reminder that we needed going into the final.

3 hours ago, crispy said:

A bit frail defensively yesterday so let’s hope we’ll see Guthrie and possibly Serrano back in soon. Missed big Brown! It’s not often we concede two goals to a team outside the OF.

We apparently concede the highest percentage of goals from set pieces in the league. Obviously our goals against is pretty good (6th best) so that may reflect how good we are at defending in open play.

I echo your first sentence, we are suddenly looking a bit light in defence and midfield from out of nowhere! Hopefully Guthrie and Fitzwater are back in on Wednesday, I think they are our best two at the back. Diani's work permit coming through would be a great boost as well.

We apparently concede the highest percentage of goals from set pieces in the league. Obviously our goals against is pretty good (6th best) so that may reflect how good we are at defending in open play.
I echo your first sentence, we are suddenly looking a bit light in defence and midfield from out of nowhere! Hopefully Guthrie and Fitzwater are back in on Wednesday, I think they are our best two at the back. Diani's work permit coming through would be a great boost as well.
Think a lot of that stat was from the start of the season under Holt. There's been a definite step change in our set piece defending under Martindale which was obviously hindered yesterday with the absence of Guthrie, Brown and Serrano. Hurts to see Brown didn't even make the Cardiff squad yesterday when they were so keen to recall such an important player for us

11 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
14 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Think a lot of that stat was from the start of the season under Holt. There's been a definite step change in our set piece defending under Martindale which was obviously hindered yesterday with the absence of Guthrie, Brown and Serrano. Hurts to see Brown didn't even make the Cardiff squad yesterday when they were so keen to recall such an important player for us

Yeah hopefully he gets a run in the team. As Martindale said, it would be a shame for him to miss out on the final if he's nowhere near playing for them.

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

We were terrible at defending and scoring from set pieces before Martindale took charge though, we lost a hell of a lot of goals from them earlier in the season when Holt kept chopping and changing formations and defenders.

That's the first time we've looked weak in defence being nowhere near a ball into our box and conceding from a set piece under DM, St Johnstone had 2 players rising up for that ball and not one Livi player challenging, ATS was still on the ground next to them. Guthrie is about 6ft 3, and would've been right bang in the middle of those two players. It was the same the other end, we had a lot of free kicks and throw ins putting balls into their box, a combination of poor deliveries and not having Guthrie challenging for the ball, left us looking a pretty shite goal threat from set pieces.

Serrano and Mullin are very good at delivering dangerous balls into the opposition box, missing both of them really was a big loss too. As much as i rate Forrest and wanted him to start yesterday, his crossing isn't good, and he wasn't as influential as i thought he'd be at cutting inside to have shots at goal.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

We were terrible at defending and scoring from set pieces before Martindale took charge though, we lost a hell of a lot of goals from them earlier in the season when Holt kept chopping and changing formations and defenders.
That's the first time we've looked weak in defence being nowhere near a ball into our box and conceding from a set piece under DM, St Johnstone had 2 players rising up for that ball and not one Livi player challenging, ATS was still on the ground next to them. Guthrie is about 6ft 3, and would've been right bang in the middle of those two players. It was the same the other end, we had a lot of free kicks and throw ins putting balls into their box, a combination of poor deliveries and not having Guthrie challenging for the ball, left us looking a pretty shite goal threat from set pieces.
Serrano and Mullin are very good at delivering dangerous balls into the opposition box, missing both of them really was a big loss too. As much as i rate Forrest and wanted him to start yesterday, his crossing isn't good, and he wasn't as influential as i thought he'd be at cutting inside to have shots at goal.
Yeah, there's certainly a point there that we were missing 4 key players yesterday that would have affected the game differently. Guthrie, Brown, Serrano and Mullin. Hopefully they'll be available soon (except Brown obviously) and we'll see us tighten back up.

5 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah, there's certainly a point there that we were missing 4 key players yesterday that would have affected the game differently. Guthrie, Brown, Serrano and Mullin. Hopefully they'll be available soon (except Brown obviously) and we'll see us tighten back up.

Saw a stat a wee while back about how good Brown was in the air at winning headers, even back when i didn't think he was doing as well as last season. Sure going to miss him the rest of the season. Funny too that if he'd left in November i wouldn't have been that bothered. Hopefully our new signing Diani will be good, and find his feet early on.

17 minutes ago, G51 said:

Anyone read the recent article with Martindale in the Athletic? I thought it was very good. Can imagine he has a load of brilliant stories to tell.

https://theathletic.com/2366704/2021/02/06/david-martindale-jail-drugs-livingston/

Yes, I used the free trial to read it and was not disappointed. Great stories about his man management and getting his coaching badges.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Yes, I used the free trial to read it and was not disappointed. Great stories about his man management and getting his coaching badges.

Really liked the story about the Braga/Sporting Lisbon manager. Isn't it mad how managers make these kind of connections.