Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

In the grand scheme of things he's still new to the team and the league. I'm sure Holt and Martindale have identified his weakness in defending and are working on it. We are never going to be signing complete players with our budget so we will need to make concessions and address their weaknesses. Craig Halkett and Scott Pittman weren't the same players when they first joined us and look at where the club has got them. Also with Souda, he looks better at tackling than Menga ever did but maybe lacks the positional sense which can be addressed over time

Martindale certainly has, the amount of times he's shouting at him. Hopefully it sinks in, Aberdeen are quick down the wings and we've got Sevco twice in our next 3 games too, we'll need everyone to be at it defensively in those games.

11 minutes ago, orco said:

Is this too simple a question? If Souda is weak at defending why don't we use him as an attacker? 🤔

Dykes is about the only position that doesn't require players getting back regularly to defend though, unless we go 2 up front.  Lawless is getting a bit more freedom to attack than last season, Souda is playing opposite him doing the same job, but both have to protect the FB's at times too, and Souda wasn't doing so yesterday.

Like I said in another post, maybe it was just because Pitts and Keaghan weren't there, it looked a lot worse than it usually is.

Thinking about it, the Forfar game was where he was subbed at HT and Holt had something to say about his defending, and Keaghan was missing from that game too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

New episode available now, it includes a feature length interview with Ricki Lamie plus loads more. 

All episodes on our website - TalkLiviPodcast.libsyn.com 

Or just search TalkLivi on your preferred streaming sites.

3AC3C0DA-7143-455B-B3A9-5720F56EFA15.png

Edited by andylivi1

As weak as Souda is, and he should be at blame for his poor positioning, a lot of the blame for me lies with McMillan. Constantly both players were wanting to bomb up the wing leaving no one back, McMillan is an attacking full back and that absolutely does not work with Souda, Souda and Lamie are a far better pairing as he's more defensive minded and tends to hang back a fair bit more.

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

As weak as Souda is, and he should be at blame for his poor positioning, a lot of the blame for me lies with McMillan. Constantly both players were wanting to bomb up the wing leaving no one back, McMillan is an attacking full back and that absolutely does not work with Souda, Souda and Lamie are a far better pairing as he's more defensive minded and tends to hang back a fair bit more.

Not convinced McMillan was at fault, he was totally and utterly exposed, Souda was allowing his man to just run past him without doing anything special at all, making it just about impossible for McMillan as he was facing an overlapping run every time. 

I thought moving Souda to the 10 role and putting Lawless out wide  would’ve made more sense given Lawless was played in a wing back role last season and as has been said Souda is an exciting player going forward who can open up teams, that to me would’ve protected McMillan a bit better.

Edited by andylivi1

Callum Carson saying he's not expecting any signings from us today, I'll still be hoping to see a striker come through the door though. 

Imagine Wylde will leave and we'll hopefully get confirmation of Menga out on loan. Can see one of Sibbald or Lawson leaving as well tbh. 

27 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

Callum Carson saying he's not expecting any signings from us today, I'll still be hoping to see a striker come through the door though. 

Imagine Wylde will leave and we'll hopefully get confirmation of Menga out on loan. Can see one of Sibbald or Lawson leaving as well tbh. 

Think the squad is too small to allow player to leave at this late stage to be honest. Both Sibbald and Lawson will get their chance; replacing Pittman will only happen as a result of injury but all other midfield roles are up for the taking. Both upped their game last season and could do so again.

We're obviously hoping Stobbs fitness will improve rapidly and we have the option to extend his loan if so but he seems too "route-one" for our creative midfield and will probably be up got one of the congested winger roles.

Hamilton is out on loan until the winter but I'm not sure if he'd really fit in with the new look attack. Blues also showed some promise in the friendlies but again its too soon for him.

I actually liked what I saw of Savane and Pepe but that was generally against lower league opposition; against premiership sides I suspect both with struggle at the moment unless they can really up their game to the speed of Scottish Premiership level.

Playing three central defenders and two wing-backs might help to plug the gaps in the defence but at the cost of midfield. Later on in the season though it may become necessary as shortages start to bite.

We definitely need a striker in. If Dykes gets injured who do we have? Tiffoney? Hes a winger. Robbo? Hes a midfielder. Erskine? Hes a midfielder. Etc.
Even just a shite one. On loan from Stenny or something. Just to keep me happy that we have another striker on board.

Both Souda and Stobbs can play as strikers although its a shame that we have Hamilton and De Vita out on loan at the moment.

Not sure if our finances will stretch to taking anyone else in. Despite our recent success we haven't notices a particular uptake on ticket sates beyond the current norm of about 1500 - 1600 in the home end. True, we are likely to see a significant increase in away supporters travelling to our ground but we cant rely on that. St Mirren brought a respectable 850 travelling  but expect the likes of Hamilton and Ross County to struggle; certainly unless they up their game.

We've built our recently success on prudent financial planning and don't want to see that go; as such the only real option is a loan deal where the parent club continues to pay most of the players wages. With Hoppy in charge we managed a couple of those off Crystal Palace; not sure what contacts Holt has in that regards.

1 minute ago, Menga Bus said:

He’s been our best player this season not a chance you’d be getting him hahaha

Almost certainly will win the August player of the month in my opinion.

No chance he's moving unless for a bumper amount of money which I doubt Killie have at the moment.