Livingston - all the threads merged

On 06/06/2019 at 21:32, ATLIS said:

Really is puzzling to see Gary Fraser training with us, if the club is shopping in League 2 (bottom six sides too) then that seems fairly dire. I know Pittman came from the Juniors but so did Sheerin. Don't think we need another midfielder as well. Can only hope he knows someone and is getting fitness up as a favour.

Although not sure how he's training with us when the squad isn't even back yet

Technique wise, Fraser is a very talented boy; his performance against Ross County in our 14/15 season opener remains one of the most outstanding individual displays that I've ever seen from a Thistle player. That wasn't yesterday though and there were some (well publicised) question marks over his attitude, temperament and fitness during his time with us. 

Similar to Archibald, Livi seem to quite like a pet project but would be surprised if Fraser managed to get a gig.

1 minute ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Good bit of business, I think.

No nonsense defender. Remember him a couple of years ago.His experiance down south will Stand him in good stead. Kind of guy we will need for next season. Welcome Nicky.

Few quotes from Ayr fans where he was previously

"Disappointing move for Devlin really.  Seems like he did well for Walsall, so would have thought he could have kicked on or at least stayed at League 1 level.  Stepping back to Livingston is a real move backwards. Bit depressing for us as it highlights again that we can’t compete at the same level as a club with a core support of a thousand that have effectively gone bust 3 times in their 25 year history. "

"Good going forward wasn't quite as good defensively but may have improved that part of his game down south was Walsall's players player of the season, will give 110% every game and will likely become a fan favourite. "

"If he has a good season at Livingston he'll be away to one of the big premiership clubs or a championship move back down south, plus he'll have a Scotland cap soon if he kicks on. "

1 minute ago, Troy.1995 said:

No nonsense defender. Remember him a couple of years ago.His experiance down south will Stand him in good stead. Kind of guy we will need for next season. Welcome Nicky.

Don’t know how he’s got on at Walsall but would never have used that phrase when he was at Ayr.

He’s quick, athletic and loves a lung busting run forward. He’ll put the effort in and the fans will like him, but his final ball was rarely good and he had a habit of not tracking back once he’d made a run up the pitch - defending wasn’t really a strong point.

I think he’s a good signing but - unless he’s worked on it significantly at Walsall - you won’t be getting a no nonsense defender.

35 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Few quotes from Ayr fans where he was previously

"Disappointing move for Devlin really.  Seems like he did well for Walsall, so would have thought he could have kicked on or at least stayed at League 1 level.  Stepping back to Livingston is a real move backwards. Bit depressing for us as it highlights again that we can’t compete at the same level as a club with a core support of a thousand that have effectively gone bust 3 times in their 25 year history. "

"Good going forward wasn't quite as good defensively but may have improved that part of his game down south was Walsall's players player of the season, will give 110% every game and will likely become a fan favourite. "

"If he has a good season at Livingston he'll be away to one of the big premiership clubs or a championship move back down south, plus he'll have a Scotland cap soon if he kicks on. "

Get it right up the loser making the first comment. Ayr are minnows who have spent most of their recent history in the third tier.

41 minutes ago, Radford said:

Looks a very decent signing that. Will have benefited from his time down south and was already highly-rated at Ayr before that. 

Weve already lost two superb defenders and Gary Holt knew he would have to move quickly to reinforce our defence.Weve a knack of getting players in and getting the best out of their developement.Time will tell of course but im delighted to get a player of his quality to join us.More to come i feel.Well done Livi.

Difficult to compare the lower English leagues to here, but Odoffin came from warming the bench of a League 2 side and has done well. POTY of a league 1 side seems positive. All in a position we needed reinforcements in.

Sounds like a great signing to me!

Poty of the year at Walsall (?) and some sour puss posts about a ‘sideways/backwards move’ make me think Devlin could be a decent player for us. 

I was as anxious as the rest about the lack of signing news, though it was a bit early anyway, however recent times would show us that massive player turnover doesn’t guarantee success; this looks like a quality move.

Poty of the year at Walsall (?) and some sour puss posts about a ‘sideways/backwards move’ make me think Devlin could be a decent player for us. 
I was as anxious as the rest about the lack of signing news, though it was a bit early anyway, however recent times would show us that massive player turnover doesn’t guarantee success; this looks like a quality move.

I don’t think “sour puss posts” indicate he’s a good player.

Having watched him for 3 years though I can confirm he is a good player so long as he’s used properly. He’s more of a wing back but I’m pretty sure you guys play with wing backs anyway so that’s a good start.

His final ball was never great and neither was his defensive positioning. He was caught out of position regularly so he sometimes picked up bookings whilst running back to stop an attack. Playing with 3 CBs though should give him a bit more protection though.

I was bewildered initially when he signed as I expected another club down south to pick him up but I can see why he’s come back to Scotland. Better chance of making the national team and also could get him a move to one of the bigger teams in the league.

Good luck to the guy.

15 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Having watched him for 3 years though I can confirm he is a good player so long as he’s used properly. He’s more of a wing back but I’m pretty sure you guys play with wing backs anyway so that’s a good start.

His final ball was never great and neither was his defensive positioning. He was caught out of position regularly so he sometimes picked up bookings whilst running back to stop an attack. Playing with 3 CBs though should give him a bit more protection though.

I was bewildered initially when he signed as I expected another club down south to pick him up but I can see why he’s come back to Scotland. Better chance of making the national team and also could get him a move to one of the bigger teams in the league.

Good luck to the guy.

He will never make the national team whilst playing for Livi. That doesn't generally happen.  

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Good luck to the guy.

Aye, I was maybe a bit quick off the mark with that. Your response is much more creditable than mine and a really useful insight at that, cheers. Given our budget it sounds like about as good a signing as we’ll get. By the sounds of it he definitely won’t be playing as a CB then?

Aye, I was maybe a bit quick off the mark with that. Your response is much more creditable than mine and a really useful insight at that, cheers. Given our budget it sounds like about as good a signing as we’ll get. By the sounds of it he definitely won’t be playing as a CB then?

When McCall first came in he played Devlin on the right hand side of a back 3 but I think that was down to lack of options.

Imo playing him at centre half would stop him utilising his pace which is his best trait.

To get an idea of how quick he is fast forward to 6:20 on this video.