Livingston - all the threads merged

Just now, LiviLion said:

Our game against Dundee United next month has been moved to the Friday night and will be on BBC Alba. So that'll be a lower gate then :lol:

https://spfl.co.uk/news/article/livingston-v-dundee-united-on-bbc-alba/

We wont get any extra for it being televised either, this'll be part of the SPFL tv deal.  So all it is doing is reducing crowd numbers and money through our gates.

19 minutes ago, McG said:

Any truth that you are in for 1 of our defenders?

Not heard anything, what have you heard ? 

I did think about Jordan Kirkpatrick as a possible player for us to look at but that’s purely me thinking that, there is no rumours regarding him. 

Apparently we are 1 of 4 Championship teams to be interested in Conrad Balatoni, but apart from that not heard anything else.   

Edited by andylivi1

13 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Not heard anything, what have you heard ? 

I did think about Jordan Kirkpatrick as a possible player for us to look at but that’s purely me thinking that, there is no rumours regarding him. 

Apparently we are 1 of 4 Championship teams to be interested in Conrad Balatoni, but apart from that not heard anything else.   

Buchanan our centre half, decent player but not going to get much game time for us now I wouldn't think.

1 minute ago, McG said:

Buchanan our centre half, decent player but not going to get much game time for us now I wouldn't think.

Centre back is a position we certainly need cover for, especially playing 3 at the back, as we only have 3 CB’s in the squad. 

This weekend for example I’m sure Gallagher is suspended which means we don’t have proper cover for that position. 

Someone is building hype around him

That'll be his old man, who has a journo pal who writes for the Musselburgh Bugle or something. Every time Knox takes a shite there's something on the local paper linking him to Ibrox.

I've been reading the last few pages with some interest, in particular re the clubs finances. I'll echo what the majority are saying about Ward - he seems a very switched on guy, with plenty business nous.

Folks concerns are absolutely merited though. They HAVE to be. Pre the Glenafton game, John Ward laid everything on the line in a Facebook post. He told people how much it costs to have a game on, ANY game, before we lose money. He said that kids season ticket sales were poor (less than 50). Share issue? Hardly any uptake. Since that game, we've had one gate of 1200ish vs Falkirk.

I think its brilliant that we've a budget we're sticking to, even if it means selling a player or two to keep things in the black. I think the performances and the current standing of the team is tremendous, and it's been ages since I said that. But the clubs finances, it would appear, remain in a parlous state.

Rangers Academy midfielder Jordan Thompson signs for us on loan till the end of the season, he's out of contract at the end of the season. Anyone else remember the last time we got a player from that club in those circumstances? ;) 

14 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Rangers Academy midfielder Jordan Thompson signs for us on loan till the end of the season, he's out of contract at the end of the season. Anyone else remember the last time we got a player from that club in those circumstances? ;) 

Not sure midfield is one area we need additional cover - also Jordan Thompson played pretty much the entire season for Raith Rovers last year when they got relegated and scored one goal.

On one side I think well he was on Manchester United's books as a youth player but then again he is quite short ....

That aside I suppose Halkett didn't exactly set the heather alight for his first season with us.

Probably needed a midfielder in as Penrice away back to Partick , what if byrne or pittman got injured or suspended. Not sure how good he is , didn’t do well at raith last year and don’t think he’s been close to rangers team. Hopefully comes in and does well

11 minutes ago, Livilion28 said:

Probably needed a midfielder in as Penrice away back to Partick , what if byrne or pittman got injured or suspended. Not sure how good he is , didn’t do well at raith last year and don’t think he’s been close to rangers team. Hopefully comes in and does well

We do have Knox; Jacobs; Robinson; Brown  (when / if fit); Cadden; De Vita etc.

Compared to defence and attack I would have said midfield was one area we had covered.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

We do have Knox; Jacobs; Robinson; Brown  (when / if fit); Cadden; De Vita etc.

Compared to defence and attack I would have said midfield was one area we had covered.

Cadden and De Vita are more strikers under Hopkin, we've established Knox isn't good enough so far and although often injured Robinson has been a striker as well. Brown has been injured all season so that leaves Jacobs, but he doesn't play on the left like Penrice does.

Rafa has struggled out on the wing and looks a lot better as a striker

Edited by ATLIS

Will approach this signing with an open mind, he’s not getting glowing reports from Raith Rovers fans but they didn’t have David Hopkin as manager 8)

Time will tell if this is a decent addition or not, given Hoppy’s good track record of signings then I have faith in this one too. 

Not sounding too promising based on the Raith fans' assessments, but Hopkin has turned a couple of duffers into decent players during his time with us. Based on the fact he can also play LB and LWB, it's safe to assume there is zero chance of Penrice coming back to us this month. 

As long as this boy can provide adequate cover for one of the midfield three and not be a missing jersey I'll be happy. The real sign of success in this window will be whether or not we can get a striker in.

7 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Cadden and De Vita are more strikers under Hopkin, we've established Knox isn't good enough so far and although often injured Robinson has been a striker as well. Brown has been injured all season so that leaves Jacobs, but he doesn't play on the left like Penrice does.

Rafa has struggled out on the wing and looks a lot better as a striker

Sorry but just because Hopkins has played players as a makeshift forward doesn't really mean they are one. Cadden is only ever a winger in my book. De Vita did start his career as a forward but hasn't really played as such for some time (more down to stamina I think). 

Not sure I'd definitely say Knox isn't good enough; in the pre season games he certainly started to equip himself well; cutting out all the show boating and having put on  bit of weight; however in one of his recent appearances he seemed to have gone backwards; his showboating against Glenafton was a mixture of immaturity and lack of respect for the opposition most of which didn't come off and ended up making him look silly. I cannot help thinking that he ended up believing all the hype about him that ended up holding him back; if he concentrates on doing the straight forward stuff well he'll be a lot better player - after all he's only just turned 18.

9 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Will approach this signing with an open mind, he’s not getting glowing reports from Raith Rovers fans but they didn’t have David Hopkin as manager 8)

Time will tell if this is a decent addition or not, given Hoppy’s good track record of signings then I have faith in this one too. 

Hughes was their manager wasn't he - that says enough.

1 minute ago, Durnford said:

Sorry but just because Hopkins has played players as a makeshift forward doesn't really mean they are one. Cadden is only ever a winger in my book. De Vita did start his career as a forward but hasn't really played as such for some time (more down to stamina I think). 

Not sure I'd definitely say Knox isn't good enough; in the pre season games he certainly started to equip himself well; cutting out all the show boating and having put on  bit of weight; however in one of his recent appearances he seemed to have gone backwards; his showboating against Glenafton was a mixture of immaturity and lack of respect for the opposition most of which didn't come off and ended up making him look silly. I cannot help thinking that he ended up believing all the hype about him that ended up holding him back; if he concentrates on doing the straight forward stuff well he'll be a lot better player - after all he's only just turned 18.

In the case of Cadden, I'd say he's been shoehorned in as a striker because his skillset is probably best out of the players "left over" from other positions, and that he isn't good enough to be a winger in this division. In De Vita's case I'd say he's up top because he has experience in that role and technically, he is one of the most proficient players in the squad.

Agree about Knox; looked decent enough in pre-season wide left but lost his place to Penrice and he hasn't recovered from it. As I said in the ICT-Livi thread, if we were to get a six-figure fee for him in the summer, it'd be the best deal for both parties IMO.

I thought De Vita played pretty well in Inverness in the right back to right wing role.

The positions in the middle of the park are fairly rigid but Hopkin is clearly looking for a great deal of flexibility within the players playing on the flanks.

Agree with Durnford about the need for another centre-half. Longridge appears to be the 4th/5th option in there which is very concerning.

Edited by EdinburghLivi