Livingston - all the threads merged

Hamilton is quite an obvious one, clearly one for the future. Alloa are a decent side and the championship is still a good level, if he can put a good run of form together it’ll really help him when he comes back. Expecting an experienced head to come to give us more cutting edge though, we’ve looked really toothless since the pumping we gave hearts.

HVS is a strange one. I’m not sure if holt & martindale originally saw potential in him and have decided he’s not good enough or if he just needs competitive first team football and isn’t at it for this level quite yet. Hopefully the latter, but it’s one to keep an eye on.
I think the issue with Henk is how settled our back 3 are. If the management team weren't impressed with him I'd imagine they'd be happy for him to sit on the bench. However, he seems like one for the future so the first team action in a tough league will do him wonders and, like Jack, will hopefully end with us getting back a more complete player ready to slot into the team.

1 minute ago, Ayia Napa Alan said:

HVS is a strange one. I’m not sure if holt & martindale originally saw potential in him and have decided he’s not good enough or if he just needs competitive first team football and isn’t at it for this level quite yet. Hopefully the latter, but it’s one to keep an eye on.

Think the only real chance of him getting first team football is if one of GHL gets injured/suspended, meaning there's a chance of him only playing in the reserves for the rest of the season. Would imagine part of the reason we've brought in Brown is to let Henk get some first team football while we still have a bit of cover for the first team if needed.

Hopefully Jack heading out is paving the way for another striker to come in, but part of me is wondering if that's already happened with the arrival of Erskine.

I think both of them are being sent out on loan to get the game time they need to break into the team next season, we're likely going to see some players moving on and will need to get everyone as good as possible for replacing them. 

We've got Brown on loan from Cardiff but can't see him shifting any of our back 3, it'll have to be to cover suspensions or injuries.

Hamilton going out this week when Hardie is not able to play and Dolly may not make it is a strange one. Perhaps Holt is doing his usual mind games pretending all our front players are out though and we'll see Dolly and Raffa play. Or has he a striker coming in before Sunday, we're going to be struggling up front if he hasn't got something up his sleeve.

I’m hoping someone can settle an argument here. I can remember watching on tv a Livi v Rangers game where a Livi player kicked the ball into the rangers fan, hitting a young child. The player came out at half time, climbing into the crowd to present a signed shirt to the fan to rapturous applause from both sets of fans... I was telling this story yesterday but was told I was getting mixed up with Stevie Kirk at Hearts. I know he did something similar.

1 hour ago, Kdawg said:

I’m hoping someone can settle an argument here. I can remember watching on tv a Livi v Rangers game where a Livi player kicked the ball into the rangers fan, hitting a young child. The player came out at half time, climbing into the crowd to present a signed shirt to the fan to rapturous applause from both sets of fans... I was telling this story yesterday but was told I was getting mixed up with Stevie Kirk at Hearts. I know he did something similar.

Back in 2002, Brinquin: http://www.espnfc.com/scotland/news/2002/0415/20020415lfcbrinquin.html

1 minute ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Lyndon Dykes from Queen of the South on a PCA apparently. Good move for us, I think he'll fit into our system well.

He will assist your striker, don't expect him to score many goals tho... 

Hah, my uncle's a big QoS fan, so I've heard and seen  a lot about Dykes. Flatters to deceive a lot. The same criticisms people throw at Menga will be thrown at him. On the other hand, clearly has some technical ability, and makes Dobbie look very good these days.

Certainly not going to be that #9 we need once Hardie leaves.

Hah, my uncle's a big QoS fan, so I've heard and seen  a lot about Dykes. Flatters to deceive a lot. The same criticisms people throw at Menga will be thrown at him. On the other hand, clearly has some technical ability, and makes Dobbie look very good these days.
Certainly not going to be that #9 we need once Hardie leaves.
Dobbie makes Dobbie look good. Dykes has been a great partner for him this season but he certainly doesn't make Dobbie look good [emoji38]

He'll split your support as he has ours. His link up play is excellent and he's started to win a lot more headers this season. He will hassle defenders as well. He won't be scoring many and he needs support up front as his doesn't hold the ball up well enough to lead the line by himself.

Feedin balls into the channel is how Livi will get the best from him or balls into feet.

Dobbie makes Dobbie look good. Dykes has been a great partner for him this season but he certainly doesn't make Dobbie look good [emoji38]

He'll split your support as he has ours. His link up play is excellent and he's started to win a lot more headers this season. He will hassle defenders as well. He won't be scoring many and he needs support up front as his doesn't hold the ball up well enough to lead the line by himself.

Feedin balls into the channel is how Livi will get the best from him or balls into feet.
I take it he has a bit of pace about him? Sounds like a Menga type player who'll do the donkey work for a poacher

I take it he has a bit of pace about him? Sounds like a Menga type player who'll do the donkey work for a poacher
Yeah I'd say he's quick. He's not rapid but he's certainly not slow. Quick enough to hassle defenders. Aye if he has a goalscorer next to him I've not doubt he won't have any problems contributing with plenty of assists.

That was caused by fannying around with a system that works and trying to shoehorn players into positions they are not suited. Erskine got absolutely roasted on the left when we switched to a 4 at the back. Horrendous from Holt and hopefully a lesson learned.

Tiffoney looked like a good option when he came on. Pleasantly surprised. Also happy the players looked up for it at the end. 

Hardie back in next week for Erskine and we stand a chance of getting something. Mentalitywise, it's a massive game.

Really need to get some of these injured attacking options back in. How far away are Robinson, De Vita and Miller?

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Isn't Lyndon Dykes a bit of a gobshite? 

Tiffoney looked excellent when he came on today, albeit I was disappointed that he didn't have the confidence to get a shot away when he was through at the end. Would definitely like to see him start next weekend.

Dolly Menga is not a striker, and playing him by himself fucked up a relatively good system we had. Hardie coming back will be a boost but we need someone else in, I was a bit mystified that Hamilton was allowed out on loan this comparatively early in the window given it was obvious for a few weeks now that we'd be short for this game.

Based on what I saw last Sunday and read from Wednesday's game, we've competed well enough against Hearts and St Johnstone without perhaps getting the luck we had been getting before. I do feel that we need a massive performance next Saturday to arrest this slide we're on, otherwise things could be looking a bit grim quite quickly.

Last thing - I shudder to think how much money was spent on stewarding and police presence today, for minimal return. Amateur stuff which I'd imagine we'll get a good rap on the knuckles for.