Livingston - all the threads merged

47 minutes ago, orco said:

He could try starting on the bench. That would give him the option of coming on depending on how things were going. 

I'm hoping he does that in tomorrow's friendly.

Yeah I was hoping he'd do that on Saturday too, and see how Lee Miller and Hamilton got on up front. Then maybe comes on to replace Lee in the 2nd half.

Against Annan we ended up with Robinson as our lone front player, knocking high balls up to him, which gave him no chance. We really need to get our front line sorted out before the league starts, just now it's a bit of a shambles. In the Betfred games it's been predominantly Lee, Hamilton, or Robinson playing up front by themselves, and the latter is far too small to be getting balls knocked up to him and have a hope of doing anything.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

17 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah I was hoping he'd do that on Saturday too, and see how Lee Miller and Hamilton got on up front. Then maybe comes on to replace Lee in the 2nd half.

Against Annan we ended up with Robinson as our lone front player, knocking high balls up to him, which gave him no chance. We really need to get our front line sorted out before the league starts, just now it's a bit of a shambles. In the Betfred games it's been predominantly Lee, Hamilton, or Robinson playing up front by themselves, and the latter is far too small to be getting balls knocked up to him and have a hope of doing anything.

Agree with you guys. This was my concern r.e. a player manager. Still very early days but i think Kenny will need to be careful with balancing managing/doing what is best for the team and wanting to play himself as he is clearly a determined guy.

My worry is people have already made a judgement on his ability to do the job before the season has even started, the amount of comments I’ve seen on social media already criticising him is just a bit silly really. 

Hes came into a situation that is very difficult anyway, we are in a league no one expected us to be in, our manager left on such a high that the next guy coming in regardless of who it was is going to be on a hiding to nothing. 

We are unbeaten in the cup but despite that he’s getting criticism, imagine what it’s going to be like when we lose 3 or 4 in a row, and that will likely happen in the league. 

I understand the concerns that he’s going to play himself and then think about coaching but I’m very confident that Martindale has had this discussion with him and I’m very confident Miller will be a very good asset on the pitch, if I was picking the team he’d be playing. 

I think we all need to get right behind him from the start, continue the positive vibe that’s been circulating the club the last couple seasons and see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

My worry is people have already made a judgement on his ability to do the job before the season has even started, the amount of comments I’ve seen on social media already criticising him is just a bit silly really. 

Hes came into a situation that is very difficult anyway, we are in a league no one expected us to be in, our manager left on such a high that the next guy coming in regardless of who it was is going to be on a hiding to nothing. 

We are unbeaten in the cup but despite that he’s getting criticism, imagine what it’s going to be like when we lose 3 or 4 in a row, and that will likely happen in the league. 

I understand the concerns that he’s going to play himself and then think about coaching but I’m very confident that Martindale has had this discussion with him and I’m very confident Miller will be a very good asset on the pitch, if I was picking the team he’d be playing. 

I think we all need to get right behind him from the start, continue the positive vibe that’s been circulating the club the last couple seasons and see what happens. 

Do you disagree with what I said then Andy?

Personally i'm judging him on the 3 games we've played in the cup, and I see a problem that needs sorted. These cup games are still a bit like pre season ones though, where we're not exactly up to speed yet and are maybe experimenting still, so hopefully he or Martindale are seeing what us fans are and will make adjustments for the league starting.

However if he keeps on playing himself in a deeper role (more like a midfielder, which imo we have better options in that position than Miller) and we're left with a lone striker up front I can see the fans being frustrated.

My only real concern is if Kenny Miller as manager will be able to see what is best for the team, and will be able to put the team before himself as a player. That's not a personal criticism aimed at Miller, it's a general problem player/manager's have being too close to things trying to hang onto their playing career, and them needing to take a step back to analyse the game as a manager.

BIB, i'm not convinced Kenny will be a better option than Lee and Ryan once Ryan is back playing. But if he is then it has to be as a striker playing up the pitch beside one of them.

I am behind him as I have been behind every Livi manager (apart from John Hughes latterly). But people are only commenting on what they are seeing and I don't see anything wrong with that. We haven't lost yet but I've also never felt safe till the final whistle. Playing one up front against Airdrie and Annan was not what I expected to see.

Hopefully by our first couple of league games we will be more settled. I'm happy to give him time to bed in.

I am fully behind him and positive about the season coming, to the point that I think we will surprise a lot of people. But I think as fans we can express concern early on. No one is calling for him to be sacked or saying he won't do a good job. Just that some aspects early are concerning but hope that it changes. 

When you consider some of the stuff online from St Mirren fans Re: Stubbs I think we are in good place going forward and as a fanbase aren't getting ahead of ourselves.

I’m not having a dig at anyone on here, I haven’t actually read many of the comments so can’t say whether I agree or disagree with any of it, I’m just making a statement based on what I’ve seen and heard on social media and at the games. 

I understand what people are saying, I agree that if he is to play he should play as a striker and nothing else but dropping deeper has always been a part of his game for Rangers, Celtic and Scotland, this isn’t new to his style of play. 

What ive heard at the games so far have been sarcastic cheering when he came off against Hamilton and shouts of get yourself off Miller at the Annan game, this indirectly affects the fans around these shouts and encourages negativity, something that’s not been there the last couple of seasons. 

Edited by andylivi1

I think that was because we were struggling in the closing stages of those games and fans were feeling a bit jittery, and Miller looked like he was flagging too, making some slack passes etc, and should've come off a bit earlier.  I also heard Cadden getting some shouts in the Hamilton game just before he was subbed.

2 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I think that was because we were struggling in the closing stages of those games and fans were feeling a bit jittery, and Miller looked like he was flagging too, making some slack passes etc, and should've come off a bit earlier.  I also heard Cadden getting some shouts in the Hamilton game just before he was subbed.

Cadden is unfortunately a pretty inconsistent player - he's always going to get that until/ if he can cut it out!

https://twitter.com/GatesheadFC/status/1021816556114927617

Gabriele Quitadamo (Italian right-back)

Ishmael Yartey (Ghanian left-winger)

Lubomir Willweber (Slovakian centre-mid)

Scott Robertson (presumably not ex-Dundee United or current Airdrie players)

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Stewart, Saunders, Trialist, McMillan, Lithgow, Byrne (c), Jacobs, Trialist, Sibbald, Kaja & Hamilton.

Going by the line up one is a defender and another in midfield, no idea who they are though. The other one in the subs bench. Good run out for Kaja and Hamilton too, with Stewart getting a game in goal.

2 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Scott Robertson (presumably not ex-Dundee United or current Airdrie player)

Scott Robertson doesn’t have (T) next to his name on the team sheet.. does that mean we have signed him? 

13 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Scott Robertson starting for Airdrie tonight so definitely not him. The Dundee United one has retired I'm sure and now their under 18 coach so can't see it being him. 

Edited by LiviLion

16 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Out of those 4 (3?), Yartey probably has the best pedigree, playing in the Swiss top flight and a short stint in MLS. Looks like Quitadamo was last in Serie C and Willweber was in the Czech second tier.

Just now, Cptn Hooch said:
17 minutes ago, LiviLion00 said:
Scott Robertson doesn’t have (T) next to his name on the team sheet.. does that mean we have signed him? 

Probably Scott Robinson I'd imagine

That's what I thought as well but our Twitter listing him as trialist threw me off, maybe they're just going by the team sheet though. 

Sibbald comes off after 25 minutes. Hopefully that's not a bad injury.