Livingston - all the threads merged

But thats exactly what they did!

I dont think anyone has ever questioned their right to appeal.

What this is about is whether or not they were entitled to refuse to play a 3rd division match, because they interpreted the rules to mean they were still a 1st div club.

Theres nothing to suggest that they were.

Yes there is.

1. Livi were demoted by a decision of the management committee. The management committee were entitled to take that decision

2. Livi decided to appeal that decision. Livi were entitled to do that

3. The rules are silent as to whether or not the punishment is suspended pending the appeal process being completed

4. In certain other circumstances penalties are suspended during an appeal process

Therefore it can be argued both ways as to which division Livi are currently in. In those circumsatnces I can understand why Livi refused to play. I am not supporting their stance or condoning anything Livi have done but I can understand their decision last week and they do have a valid argument. As i have said they might lose but it is a stateable case

Edited by Nowhereman

Yes there is.

a) Livi were demoted by a decision of the management committee. The management committee were entitled to take that decision

B) Livi decided to appeal that decision. Livi were entitled to do that

c) The rules are silent as to whether or not the punishment is suspended pending the appeal process being completed

d0 In certain other circumstances penalties are suspended during an appeal process

Therefore it can be argued both ways as to which division Livi are currently in. In those circumsatnces I can understand why Livi refused to play. I am not supporting their stance or condoning anything Livi have done but I can understand their decision last week and they do have a valid argument. As i have said they might lose but it is a stateable case

For crying out loud...

Livingston have only just made their appeal today. They had not made their appeal before today, hence it could not possibly have been deemed to be successful.

It's basic interpretation of the English language...

For crying out loud...

Livingston have only just made their appeal today. They had not made their appeal before today, hence it could not possibly have been deemed to be successful.

It's basic interpretation of the English language...

The appeal process began when Livi indicated formally that they were lodging an appeal.My point is to ask what should happen to the penalty that has been imposed pending the appeal being completed and I think that will be one of the points being argued by Livi when the sfl get round to dealing with their failure to turn up last Saturday

Yes there is.

a) Livi were demoted by a decision of the management committee. The management committee were entitled to take that decision

B) Livi decided to appeal that decision. Livi were entitled to do that

c) The rules are silent as to whether or not the punishment is suspended pending the appeal process being completed

d0 In certain other circumstances penalties are suspended during an appeal process

No it cant be argued, because the SFL told them they were in Div3. As I said, its not up to Livy to interpret the rules, or effectively pick and choose which ones suit them, anymore than its up to a player on the pitch to interpret the referees decisions and ignore the ones he doesnt like.

If point c is correct, then Livy should have asked for guidance from the SFL as to what the position was, not just made up their own interpretation.

The appeal process began when Livi indicated formally that they were lodging an appeal.

The process began, yes.

But the rules make no allowance for the process. They clearly state that the appeal itself is heard and is deemed successful unless...and so on...

My point is to ask what should happen to the penalty that has been imposed pending the appeal being completed and I think that will be one of the points being argued by Livi when the sfl get round to dealing with their failure to turn up last Saturday

The penalty stays. Simple as that.

The appeal process began when Livi indicated formally that they were lodging an appeal.My point is to ask what should happen to the penalty that has been imposed pending the appeal being completed and I think that will be one of the points being argued by Livi when the sfl get round to dealing with their failure to turn up last Saturday

I getting dizzy :rolleyes:

What happens is that Livy abide by the SFL rules and do as they're told. If they're not clear about what that is, then they ask for guidance.

What they actually did, was make up their own interpretation to suit themselves (and I suspect McGruthers motives were motivated by saving money than any "prejudicing" of the appeal) and refuse to play a game they had already been told to play.

The process began, yes.

But the rules make no allowance for the process. They clearly state that the appeal itself is heard and is deemed successful unless...and so on...

The penalty stays. Simple as that.

And you've seen all the correspondence between the SFL and Livi have you Sir Calum?

I getting dizzy :rolleyes:

What happens is that Livy abide by the SFL rules and do as they're told. If they're not clear about what that is, then they ask for guidance.

What they actually did, was make up their own interpretation to suit themselves (and I suspect McGruthers motives were motivated by saving money than any "prejudicing" of the appeal) and refuse to play a game they had already been told to play.

They would hardly ask the sfl for guidance given that they were disputing what the sfl were saying. And if McGruther was motivated by the cost why would he agree to play Ross County when the cost of that trip would have exceeded the cost of a trip to Falkirk

Whether or not Livi's interpretation of the rules was correct, how did they think their case would be strengthened by not playing the game?

Did they think that by not playing the game, more member clubs would vote for them in their attempt to be reinstated? How does that work?

What did they gain by not playing it, other than the prospect of a further penalty?

They would hardly ask the sfl for guidance given that they were disputing what the sfl were saying. And if McGruther was motivated by the cost why would he agree to play Ross County when the cost of that trip would have exceeded the cost of a trip to Falkirk

He didn't agree to play County,he said they were prepared to play them but knew fine it wouldn't be allowed.