Livingston - all the threads merged

Well that's about to all change isn't it........

I’ve done nothing but stay polite to you and everybody else on this thread since it started. My post was no more than an attempt at staying a bit light hearted after the devastating news earlier in the evening. That one comment really does sum you up though in spite of the late addition of the roll eyed emoticon

Its not the fault of the Livi fans that their club has been in the hands of a succession of conmen/madmen/crooks. The two admin orders were brought about by different people and in that sense, its not really the club at fault, it was the people running it. Oh and just because Pearse Flynn avoided admin under his watch don't let anyone be fooled that he is not every bit as bad as the rest of them.

The common denominator is the business model at Livi which just does not work. You cannot sustain a full time club with a rented 10,000 seat stadium on the crowds Livi got. In my view that is the main lesson from this fiasco and if the club emerges from admin with a new home of a more appropriate size and a part time team then they might have a chance of long term survival.

Meantime my sympathies lie mostly with the decent fans of Livi and, to a lessor extent, the creditors. You have to bear in mind that most of the creditors must have known Livi's reputation and track record before allowing themselves to be stung - for a second time in many cases. Whatever happened to 'once bitten, twice shy'

I’ve done nothing but stay polite to you and everybody else on this thread since it started. My post was no more than an attempt at staying a bit light hearted after the devastating news earlier in the evening. That one comment really does sum you up though in spite of the late addition of the roll eyed emoticon

Y'see, mine's was exactly the same. That I don't use emoticons as translators for intent is my choosing. Just as there was no malice in your posting, there was none in mine. As LLD likes to say, get off your fucking moral high horse. Oh, and I added NO rolled eyes emoticon. You made that bit up which isn't nice.

If you meant that you added one to your comment, then that is plain daft and irrelevant.

Edited by Guest

Maybe they didn't expect Livi to turn up? A repeat of the 'One team in Talinn' type thing.

Nah, tainted nature of the opposition I reckon. Now where did I put that "Emoticons for Dummies" book............

Agreed, but to a point. The SFL sat back while the money situation worsened under Massone and even when approached, just opted to keep a "watchful eye" on things instead of working to resolve the issue.

It's been said before, but for all the criticism of the SFL's inaction prior to last week, I've no idea what it is in particular that people think they should have been doing? Livingston were prior to McGrouther's appointment not in breach of any rules and Massone was denying there was any problem. The SFL had no entitlement to get involved.

whoever claimed that yesterday was definitely jumping the gun.

I'd agree. The only doubt in my mind is that it came from keithgy, not know for posting wind ups. :unsure:

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Fair enough Skyline Drifter. I don't know "keithgy" but if he's not a wind up merchant then there may be truth in it- just don;t see how he could know for sure, even if he is a friend of one of the "triumvirate", as they don't appear to know themselves what the next move is.

I don't agree with your point about the SFL. In my view they should have demanded sight of the accounts from Massone and a bond from him by a July 1 deadline, penalty for non compliance being the relegation that happened yesterday. That way we would all have known where we stood much earlier. Instead they believed his crap and hid away hoping that all this trouble would somehow disappear on the tip of a fairy's wand, which was never a bright strategy to take.

Time for the "triumvirate" to put up or shut up. If they really were in it to save the club then there should be no problem with a Livingston side paying its way and living within its means in the Third, hoping to put together a successful team within a very tight budget like the rest of us. If this thread and Livi Lions is to be believed then the club will be able to count on a 600+ home support every week, which will put them at an advantage compared to all other clubs bar Annan who have that kind of regular following, too.

If they walk away then the dark suspicions of some of the more cynical posters on this thread will have been vindicated. that said, if the new consortium's interests were merely about land and property, surely the league status of the football club is irrelevant? If this is true, then the only real blow to their hopes would have been league expulsion and reposession of Almondvale by WLC.

Fair enough Skyline Drifter. I don't know "keithgy" but if he's not a wind up merchant then there may be truth in it- just don;t see how he could know for sure, even if he is a friend of one of the "triumvirate", as they don't appear to know themselves what the next move is.

I don't agree with your point about the SFL. In my view they should have demanded sight of the accounts from Massone and a bond from him by a July 1 deadline, penalty for non compliance being the relegation that happened yesterday. That way we would all have known where we stood much earlier. Instead they believed his crap and hid away hoping that all this trouble would somehow disappear on the tip of a fairy's wand, which was never a bright strategy to take.

On what grounds? :huh:

Like I said, they weren't in breach of any rule. Massone could have perfectly legally told them to get lost. I might consider it in my view reasonable that I should pop round your house tonight, make myself comfortable on your sofa and demand sight of all your bank statements but you'd equally tell me, politely I'm sure, to "Get lost". And you'd be right too.

keithgy is a moderator on here. I stand to be corrected but I've never seen him post a wind up ever. If he posted it (and he did) then he undoubtedly had grounds to believe it at the time. Whether he maybe knows people involved and that was a knee jerk response now being re-considered after some more rational though, only keith and his source will know.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

On what grounds? :huh:

Like I said, they weren't in breach of any rule. Massone could have perfectly legally told them to get lost. I might consider it in my view reasonable that I should pop round your house tonight, make myself comfortable on your sofa and demand sight of all your bank statements but you'd equally tell me, politely I'm sure, to "Get lost". And you'd be right too.

keithgy is a moderator on here. I stand to be corrected but I've never seen him post a wind up ever. If he posted it (and he did) then he undoubtedly had grounds to believe it at the time. Whether he maybe knows people involved and that was a knee jerk response now being re-considered after some more rational though, only keith and his source will know.

on the grounds that Livingston had been "on the point of bankruptcy" for a while, on the basis that the club were haemorrhaging money on court cases brought about by Massone's incompetence, on the basis that players and staff were going for months without pay, on the basis that Livingston failed to submit annual accounts as required on the deadline set.

Your analogy about coming round my house hardly works- I'm not obliged to follow any rules as set out by you, however Livingston FC were obliged to follow the laws and reasonable requests of the SFL.

Fair enough about keithgy, I guess time will tell.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

It's been said before, but for all the criticism of the SFL's inaction prior to last week, I've no idea what it is in particular that people think they should have been doing? Livingston were prior to McGrouther's appointment not in breach of any rules and Massone was denying there was any problem. The SFL had no entitlement to get involved.

Exactly. The SFL were powerless to do anything until Livi actually went into administartion and therefore by complaining about the timing of the decision seems a bit odd. Had the SFL done anything prior to administration Livi would have been within their rights to tell the SFL to beat it.

Obviously it's not the best time for this to happen, however you would still have had people complaining the SFL had been too lenient if they were given a points penalty. Certainly anything less than 20 points would have been a joke. Of course had Livi gone into administration at the end of last season and the SFL relegated them, everyone would have been praising the SFL. Sadly it's the timing of Livi going into administration that has been the problem here and the SFL didn't choose that.