Livingston - all the threads merged

7 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I still rate Omeonga highly, my 2nd favourite player after Nouble.

Defensively i'd agree with you, Halkett, Gallagher, Guthrie, all huge players for us to fill the void they left, this season i really wont be bothered who leaves as i feel that position needs freshening up. Hopefully de Lucas is going to come in and impress.

I'm leaning towards putting Omeonga alongside Shinnie as "a good player in certain games". His complete lack of end product, combined with his probably high wage, can't really be sustained

7 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I'm leaning towards putting Omeonga alongside Shinnie as "a good player in certain games". His complete lack of end product, combined with his probably high wage, can't really be sustained

I like Omeonga in games where he can fulfil the role of attacking midfield. Where he's defending (AKA the two Rangers games at home) he can be a liability giving away free kicked in dangerous positions.

Given his proper role he can persistently break up any attacks through the midfield

25 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

15 minutes ago, Durnford said:

I like Omeonga in games where he can fulfil the role of attacking midfield. Where he's defending (AKA the two Rangers games at home) he can be a liability giving away free kicked in dangerous positions.

Given his proper role he can persistently break up any attacks through the midfield

Yep, this is where i love watching him play, nips in and gets the ball off players constantly breaking up play in midfield. Right pain in the arse to play against, you see opposition players getting rid of the ball when they see him coming, but he's great at catching them unawares too. Even good in the air for a wee guy, but he's gonna get booked every game because of the amount of tackles he puts in, and his style of play. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 04/03/2023 at 17:15, EdinburghLivi said:

Has there been a team who has had more VAR decisions go against them than us? Borderline yellows upgraded to reds (Pittman), borderline red cards kept as red cards (Fitzwater, Holt), soft handballs given against us (Shinnie against Rangers), soft handballs not being given as penalties to us (Aberdeen last week), teams getting away with horror tackles against us (Hearts at Tynecastle). 

I'm not sure what the rules are for continuing with it but I'd be pushing our board to say they want rid. Shite experience, not worth it for correct offside decisions.

Old man shouting at a cloud by this point but truly disgraceful officiating again.

25 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Old man shouting at a cloud by this point but truly disgraceful officiating again.

its certainly becoming tedious at this point. You look at some of our red cards compared to some of the challenged we've been on the end of and its baffling how they come to these conclusions

56 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I'm all in on the conspiracy stuff at this point, sitting for ages while we wait for our yellows to be upgraded to refs while the same challenges stay as yellows against us.

VAR actively pushed by FIFA/UEFA to get us relegated.

On 05/03/2023 at 20:56, LiviLion said:

Not buying into this narrative that we've just collapsed and are handing out points to everyone. 

This game however is massive, lose this and I'll quickly start to disagree with what I've just said

I posted this in the match thread before the game, coming back to it now I'm leaning very slightly more towards thinking our season might just be fizzing out. 

St Mirren and Aberdeen both still have to play Hearts and Rangers, I'd still have us as 'favourites' out of the 3 of us if we can manage to play games for the full 90 minutes. If we can somehow pull a win out the bag in Paisley that would be a massive help. 

Just endured a stinking run of defeats, unlikely to be repeated, yet have come through it still well clear of relegation and only a point off Top Six.

1 minute ago, FreedomFarter said:

Just endured a stinking run of defeats, unlikely to be repeated, yet have come through it still well clear of relegation and only a point off Top Six.

This is the clarity some Livi fans need. We have no right to be beating anyone. I'm sure last season we went 8 games without a win before beating Celtic and going on to have a pretty decent season. Currently 7th and if we finish there it's another huge achievement for the club and I think that would make it our longest stay in the top flight.

The league has Cel/Ran in a different stratosphere. It then has a second tier of the other city clubs Hearts/Aberdeen/Hibs. Dun Utd can maybe be seen as lesser members of that city club tier. Then the third tier of the league is all the town clubs with Livi emphatically the most diddy of them because County have external financial backing which we don't. So in our tier, only St Mirren are ahead of us and only by a point.

The issue for me is that as soon as Martindale starts talking up the squad with new aims, top 6, Europe etc. They just shit the bed. He moans that fans have expectations and are moaning too much but 4 weeks ago he was talking about a good Scottish Cup run and aiming for Europe. 

I agreed with his subs today tbf, Anderson was getting nothing. He was shite. The only thing Bradley did all day was stick a tap in, into the net. Nouble looks lazy and uninterested beyond the 35 minute mark, it's like he just gives up. We have a lack of depth up front that costs us, guys like Anderson and Nouble can coast by knowing no one is taking their spot in the squad. Even though they're good players they've been very inconsistent this season.

Yes; Anderson chased and harried himself into the ground as usual. It was good to see a few route-one balls as well where he was given the chance to run on to them rather than standing being cuddled by a defender.

Thought Nouble was good playing more on the left side; faded a bit when moved to the right and don't think he had enough left in the tank to play in the centre.

Also thought Shinnie had one of his best games for us for a while.

De Lucas had a very solid game; looked more reliable than Fitzwater of late.

Thought Holt was well off the pace; both in terms of speed but also concentration. Maybe the in/out of the team situation has effected his concentration.

Taking Bradley, who had been playing well but faded off in the second half, for Omeonga was completely baffling. Omeonga may be able to mix it up in the midfield but offers zero goal threat. Surely Bahamboula would have been the better choice there? If we had to bring Omeonga on surely the best choice would have been the underperforming Holt.

As for taking our main striker off fifteen minutes from the end when we really needed a goal - well; I'm totally flummoxed there.

25 minutes ago, Durnford said:

Yes; Anderson chased and harried himself into the ground as usual. It was good to see a few route-one balls as well where he was given the chance to run on to them rather than standing being cuddled by a defender.

Thought Nouble was good playing more on the left side; faded a bit when moved to the right and don't think he had enough left in the tank to play in the centre.

Thought Holt was well off the pace; both in terms of speed but also concentration. Maybe the in/out of the team situation has effected his concentration.

Taking Bradley, who had been playing well but faded off in the second half, for Omeonga was completely baffling. Omeonga may be able to mix it up in the midfield but offers zero goal threat. Surely Bahamboula would have been the better choice there? If we had to bring Omeonga on surely the best choice would have been the underperforming Holt.

As for taking our main striker off fifteen minutes from the end when we really needed a goal - well; I'm totally flummoxed there.

26 minutes ago, Durnford said:

I thought the 1st half was very similar to the Kilmarnock game in terms of possession and the space we were getting. The main difference for me that Pitts was playing the 10 instead of Stevie Kelly. I love what Pitts brings to the team but Kelly is an upgrade in that position with his vision, goals and passing the space in the 1st half would have totally suited Kelly.

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Just watched the highlights off the beeb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/64897751

What on earth was Devlin doing for their goal? Seemed totally oblivious that there was a player behind him.

As for the tackle near the end on Pittman; how on earth was that not a straight red?

Yeah Devlin was marking him, then drifted away towards the centre and left him the space to get a free hit at our goals. We've been guilty of this for a couple of seasons now, leaving players unmarked at the back post for balls hit over to that area.

11 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:

This is the clarity some Livi fans need. We have no right to be beating anyone. I'm sure last season we went 8 games without a win before beating Celtic and going on to have a pretty decent season. Currently 7th and if we finish there it's another huge achievement for the club and I think that would make it our longest stay in the top flight.

11 hours ago, ATLIS said:

The issue for me is that as soon as Martindale starts talking up the squad with new aims, top 6, Europe etc. They just shit the bed. He moans that fans have expectations and are moaning too much but 4 weeks ago he was talking about a good Scottish Cup run and aiming for Europe. 

I agreed with his subs today tbf, Anderson was getting nothing. He was shite. The only thing Bradley did all day was stick a tap in, into the net. Nouble looks lazy and uninterested beyond the 35 minute mark, it's like he just gives up. We have a lack of depth up front that costs us, guys like Anderson and Nouble can coast by knowing no one is taking their spot in the squad. Even though they're good players they've been very inconsistent this season.

Agree with ATLIS here, we got ourselves in that good a position for top 6, and even looking at a top 4 or 5 spot, the defeats to Aberdeen and Hibs made it all the more gutting, because a win against either one would've put us in an even better position to get there, esp Aberdeen, that would almost have guaranteed us staying ahead of them in the top 6. Getting perspective though we've still got a few chances to get back above St Mirren and Aberdeen, and even close the gap on Hibs, with all 3 having 2 games against top 3 teams still to play, the St Mirren away is def a must not lose game now though, and we really need to beat County at home with St Mirren playing Utd in that fixture list. We've gone from comfortable top 6 to very difficult, with no room for slip ups.

On Anderson, he was certainly getting nothing from the ref, an arm into the back of his head ignored, then their defender putting his hand on his head and pusing him down as he went over him to head the ball away, again the ref didn't see anything wrong.

Talking of which 3 red cards he shat out of last night, 2nd yellow in the first half, the shocking foul on Pitts, then Guthrie being fouled as he was running past their last man.

How this isn't a red when Holt and Pittman got reds for much less earlier is ridiculous, ref wouldn't even go look at it on VAR.

image.png.a763505b0998a7be4e9d4ad2a6a43fe1.png

1 hour ago, Scotland32 said:

I thought the 1st half was very similar to the Kilmarnock game in terms of possession and the space we were getting. The main difference for me that Pitts was playing the 10 instead of Stevie Kelly. I love what Pitts brings to the team but Kelly is an upgrade in that position with his vision, goals and passing the space in the 1st half would have totally suited Kelly.

Nouble setting up our goal was similar too, running along the bye line and cutting it back for Bradley, against Killie it was Kelly scoring. Just a pity we didn't score a 2nd last night, prob would've killed them off and they'd have collapsed, and we'd have scored some more. That elusive 2nd goal has been our undoing the last two games, earlier in the season we were pretty good at seeing out 1-0 wins, but we've lost that ability to see out games.

The most staggering thing about the Pittman challenge was how the referee missed it in real time. He's about 10 feet away, with a clear view of the ball, and the position that both players are coming from. 

Most refs (and clubs) emphasised the need for VAR, but when the standard of officials is this poor it just gives them an out for poor decisions. 

12 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

The most staggering thing about the Pittman challenge was how the referee missed it in real time. He's about 10 feet away, with a clear view of the ball, and the position that both players are coming from. 

He made sure to book De Lucas for complaining, though. Absolute fucking fanny of a referee.