Livingston - all the threads merged

There is a beautiful compilation video of Manuel Neuer collecting corners and instantly launching it to Robben who is on the move pre-empting Neuer collecting the ball. It is almost like 'special' plays in the NFL. A tactic that is only suitable if other criteria are met. We do it with the long throw I'd like to see us do something similar, particularly with a group of players who will properly bust a gut in support if it works.

39 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Pretty sure there was a video from a English lower league manager on that - essentially leaving players up gives away space in the box to attackers

No doubt, but you've always got more players defending a set piece anyway, for a start you've 2 players extra with the opposition keeper and set piece taker out of the equation, so why do we need both extra players in our box, and not stick one up the pitch, which would take out another 2 opposition players dropping back to mark him. Just annoys me because we essentially have to defend a set piece twice, maybe even three times, as the clearance will always go out to an opposition player to be knocked back in, with us having no player outside the box picking up the clearance. And also it makes the counter attack a lot harder, with us having to break from our box.

No doubt, but you've always got more players defending a set piece anyway, for a start you've 2 players extra with the opposition keeper and set piece taker out of the equation, so why do we need both extra players in our box, and not stick one up the pitch, which would take out another 2 opposition players dropping back to mark him. Just annoys me because we essentially have to defend a set piece twice, maybe even three times, as the clearance will always go out to an opposition player to be knocked back in, with us having no player outside the box picking up the clearance. And also it makes the counter attack a lot harder, with us having to break from our box.
Keeping all our players in the box can tempt the other team to push further up, leaving gaps for quicker players to break...guys like Omeonga, Anderson, Bahamboula can use their pace to chase down the clearance

1 hour ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

There is a beautiful compilation video of Manuel Neuer collecting corners and instantly launching it to Robben who is on the move pre-empting Neuer collecting the ball. It is almost like 'special' plays in the NFL. A tactic that is only suitable if other criteria are met. We do it with the long throw I'd like to see us do something similar, particularly with a group of players who will properly bust a gut in support if it works.

Yeah Sarkic was good at that for us too, that kick up to Dykes for his goal against Celtic, although i think that was from a free kick but he did good kicks from his goal area too. I think Shamal has good distance from his kicks and could do it with Nouble and Guthrie as well. Fat chance just now from a set piece though because we don't have anyone up the pitch and have to break from our box.

Just remembered, wasn't it how Nouble scored against Sevco, Shamal up to Devlin? who headed it on to Nouble, could check myself but can't be bothered.:lol:

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
9 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Keeping all our players in the box can tempt the other team to push further up, leaving gaps for quicker players to break...guys like Omeonga, Anderson, Bahamboula can use their pace to chase down the clearance

Nah they always have a few waiting to collect the ball being knocked out, not saying it's impossible to break from our box, just a lot harder, and as i said the first clearance is always going out to an opposition player, who has no pressure on him playing the ball back into our box, or picking out his pass. 

Can't actually believe i'm the only one on here it annoys, and you're happy we don't put a man up the pitch.:unsure: Really bugs the shit out of me, Gary Bollan used to do it too and did my tits in.:lol:

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

if i'm being honest asides, he's a good listen.

I'd also like to add rhetorical questions/referring to himself in the third person to the asides.

Does LiviLion enjoy it when he does that? No if I'm being honest.

Does LiviLion still love the guy? Absolutely

Edited by LiviLion

I think the discussion needs to be had on where Martindale actually ranks in our all time greatest manager standings - even at that all time greats in general. What he's done at the club is incredible and I've got to the point where I second guess doubting his tactics because he's far more tactically astute than I am :D 

To where he's taken us and comfortably kept us 4 seasons and counting, on the budget he's operated on, i think he's the best we've ever had at Livingston. If he gets us European football and a cup then there would be absolutely no doubt about it. Stability wise we've never had it so good, no off field dramas, 9th, 5th, 6th, & 7th place finishes is absolutely incredible with Livi's budget restrictions.

Yet 3 defeats in a row and some Livi fans were calling for his sacking, who'd be a manager.🤣

I honestly never thought we'd be back up in the top flight, felt so surreal for a good few months after we did it too. When you see the clubs that can't manage it, and some are even struggling to get out of League One, it shows how crazy it is that Livi managed it, and have even become an established top flight club.

5 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Nah they always have a few waiting to collect the ball being knocked out, not saying it's impossible to break from our box, just a lot harder, and as i said the first clearance is always going out to an opposition player, who has no pressure on him playing the ball back into our box, or picking out his pass. 

Can't actually believe i'm the only one on here it annoys, and you're happy we don't put a man up the pitch.:unsure: Really bugs the shit out of me, Gary Bollan used to do it too and did my tits in.:lol:

You're not the only one.

I get the argument that having a player in an advanced position potentially creates a gap in the box but likewise having someone up near the halfway line ties up at least two defenders who otherwise would likely be around the outside of the box they were attacking.

Actually I remember when Hamilton used to leave two forwards spread across the halfway line meaning that the other side needed to leave four players to defend the possible breakout. With the four players marking the attackers and one player taking the corner; that only left five players in or around the penalty area they were attacking.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

You're not the only one.

I get the argument that having a player in an advanced position potentially creates a gap in the box but likewise having someone up near the halfway line ties up at least two defenders who otherwise would likely be around the outside of the box they were attacking.

Actually I remember when Hamilton used to leave two forwards spread across the halfway line meaning that the other side needed to leave four players to defend the possible breakout. With the four players marking the attackers and one player taking the corner; that only left five players in or around the penalty area they were attacking.

Thank goodness for that.😂

I see we had quite a few first team players playing Accies away in a reserves game today. Particurly good seeing Anderson and Boyes back from injury and getting some game time.

Guthrie scoring with a diving header was also good to see, certainly making a great start with us, great seeing a new striker signing getting goals after some of the duds we signed last season.

9 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He's certainly different from the usual ex pro footballers turned managers, gives a good tactical explanation of his game plan and thought process throughout the game in his post match interviews too, if i'm being honest asides, he's a good listen. If anything he puts too much thought into games and overdoes it at times trying to counter threats from the opposition, but none of the usual dull post match droning on, likes to have a laugh with the interviewer too with his dry wit putting them on the spot.

I'd like to know the stats on having everyone back defending corners to leaving one player up on the halfway line though, that annoys me to an unhealthy rambling state when i'm sitting watching games, i know he puts a lot of stock into the modern day way of analyzing football, and there must be good data backing it up, but it boils my piss seeing us doing it.

This is actually an issue I spend way more time than is healthy thinking about.

I think I've maybe posted about this before on another thread, but through family and friends of friends I know a decent number of people who work in football, and when talking about the game this is one thing I always ask professional opinions on.

Basically, it depends who you ask. I once witnessed a pretty funny conversation that bubbled along nicely in a pub as two people employed as coaches by EFL clubs argued this.

It depends what stats you prefer and how you interpret them.

One view is that you're giving up space in the box to your opponents to attack. The counter view to that is that goals from corners are pretty rare, so you shouldn't worry too much about that. Basically, prevent a near-post header and statistically you won't lose a goal. BUT, the most likely thing to lead to a goal is possession of the ball in an opponent's last third, so leaving players outside the box may be the best way to prevent this, and could be worth the gamble since goals direct from a corner are relatively rare. No point in heading a corner clear to give your opponents possession 30 yards out, since this is more dangerous. Also means that for teams of a decent technical level, short corners should be a lot more common than they are, since possession is more likely to lead to a goal than a cross from a corner.

So, make of all that what you will. The pros can't agree, so what chance have we got?

Edited by VincentGuerin

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-admits-club-hit-27999945?fbclid=IwAR00dO8eXe22vXPLmDvaWHO9OzcJbYhJ9mFxNvoap1RcY8y9kz-Nbrr2sgE

Not really surprised although people kicking off about perceived laxness of selling tickets to the West Stand wont have helped. Ideally what we need is a few more season ticket holders or PATG supporters turning up on a regular basis.

Selling Stryjek might have been an option before he started having a mare of a season and was punted. Almost certainly we'll need to sell at least one player (Fitzwater?) in the January window to allow us to keep hold of other.

10 minutes ago, Durnford said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-admits-club-hit-27999945?fbclid=IwAR00dO8eXe22vXPLmDvaWHO9OzcJbYhJ9mFxNvoap1RcY8y9kz-Nbrr2sgE

Not really surprised although people kicking off about perceived laxness of selling tickets to the West Stand wont have helped. Ideally what we need is a few more season ticket holders or PATG supporters turning up on a regular basis.

Selling Stryjek might have been an option before he started having a mare of a season and was punted. Almost certainly we'll need to sell at least one player (Fitzwater?) in the January window to allow us to keep hold of other.

A top 6 finish could help immensely too, we didn't benefit from our back to back top 6 finishes, first one we had the season cut short, missing out on 2 home games pre split, one against a struggling Hearts that prob would've brought a big support through, hoping they'd avoid relegation, then post split we'd have had a big gate home match against one of the erse cheeks, same again 2nd top 6 finish, plus the fact we had no fans being allowed all season. Post split crowds are always going to be higher in the top 6 than the bottom half for us with a Glasgow team bringing 7 or 8 thousand through. Plus the prize money increases with every place, even better if we could get a European spot, so we haven't peaked financially yet, plenty scope to bring in more dosh.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I see the FB group is in panic station already. As far as I can tell this is just Martindale

- Explaining that we can't give every player a rise to a top/mid-table Premiership player (no surprise given the attendance)

-  trying to slyly tell agents not to demand that

We've essentially got a group of players who all started on lower Premiership/Championship wages, and stayed long enough to progress. At some point the success of the club outstrips the finances, and I doubt any Livi fan wishes to see the club start gambling on top-six finishes. 

In terms of enticing new fans I'm not sure what else the club can do? Ticket prices are reasonable by comparison, comp tickets are available and large scale free school ticket handouts happen. On top of that, the football ain't too bad either

We're never going to be able to offer big enough wages to keep our best players anyway, they'll either stick with us a wee while more because they've not yet had better offers, or they'll leave for bigger things, financially and career wise. Don't think any of them are here due to the wages Livi offered them.

Get ready for this wild ride :D Obileye is being considered for a Nigeria call up.

EMI LOKAN! Why Ayo Obileye MUST be on the next Super Eagles list | Pulse Nigeria

image.png.d530c8f436a0d8ae15b1b899bffe2a43.png

Ball playing defender...

image.png.e131121a06937f0093c5c4b9bfccd8f5.png

COMFORTABLE ON THE BALL...

image.png.16dcfd46a3bf55e23a3fce10e5a46a5a.png
I think a lot of people from abroad are getting their tips on players without watching a single game of theirs. If we can get any decent money out of Obileye then we'd be laughing. He's okay but he isn't a standout at all, throw in a bit error prone and I'm not sure where all the links come from. 

Bottom line is,we've been punching above our weight ever since we came back into the Premiership. 

We're a "championship" club in stature,support,income etc.

No question we are now the smallest club in the league since Accies went down.

Every season we stay in the top league is a blessing. 

Soon or later we will get relegated.

As for garnering extra support,its tough,the lure of the Glasgow 2 and Edinburgh 2 in WL is huge,for varying different reasons.......,what team your father supported,proximity to Edinburgh,large "Glasgow 2" support in Livi and from the west of Livi to Armadale/Whitburn,the club formerly known as rangers hold great appeal for bigoted,political and glory hunting reasons.............

But even with all that,i feel we hold our own and will enjoy the journey as long as it lasts in the Premiership. 

(Must add the improvements the club has made in and around the stadium are class,fair play tae them.)

Edited by Dav nan Gael

Yeh,totally agree here.For years weve generally punched above our weight. We know who we are and where we stand in Scottish Football.Fanbase has always been a problem for us.Swathes of people in West Lothian  just couldn't give a second thought for us for one reason or another.Its huge credit to the current incumbents that we're still kicking about at the top table.We know this won't last realistically, but let's enjoy it while it lasts. 🦁👍.