Livingston - all the threads merged

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I'd take Shaughnessy if St Mirren are letting him go.

Just said exactly this but I do think in Boyes, Fitzwater and Obileye we have 3 pretty good options already. 4 decent centre backs probably unnecessary as much as I like Shaughnessy. 

26 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Just said exactly this but I do think in Boyes, Fitzwater and Obileye we have 3 pretty good options already. 4 decent centre backs probably unnecessary as much as I like Shaughnessy. 

Yeah true, Boyes coming back has been under the radar a bit. Think we possibly need one more, but we could end up loaning someone in. Last night must've been a bit of an eye opener for Martindale.

You'd think though that a Shaugnessy/Fitzwater pairing would be more than good enough for a top 6 defence especially with Nicky at the side and the from Montano has been in. Even then with Penrice to come back too.

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

3 year deal for Kelly apparently. 

Think he'll do well but it's very David Martindale to sign a CM when we're all waiting on a CB and a winger :lol:

I stand to look foolish, but he won’t.  He’s rotten. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I stand to look foolish, but he won’t.  He’s rotten. 

To be fair, we're paying a 'nominal' fee and he's only likely to be rotation this season so won't be relying on him. He's got a year to settle in then step into the first team for the 23/24 season

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

To be fair, we're paying a 'nominal' fee and he's only likely to be rotation this season so won't be relying on him. He's got a year to settle in then step into the first team for the 23/24 season

Fair.  Keep your expectations low, and ignore the social media analysis of his game.  County were promised a potential star who would waltz into the team. 

Edited by Savage Henry

5 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Fair.  Keep your expectations low, and ignore the social media analysis of his game.  County were promised a potential star who would waltz into the team. 

We had the same with Robby McCrorie. Turned out to be shite for us. Young though so who knows. 

kelly.thumb.png.3b5a0bc41feaa1c7469d2da63fcc0a96.png

Be interesting to see how Livi use him, as I know you're ball deep in stats based recruitment. Seems to me like you'd want him as the attacking midfielder in a 3, but I don't know how Livingston are setting up this season to know where he'd fit. Looks ~average but hes still young and finding his role.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

kelly.thumb.png.3b5a0bc41feaa1c7469d2da63fcc0a96.png

Be interesting to see how Livi use him, as I know you're ball deep in stats based recruitment. Seems to me like you'd want him as the attacking midfielder in a 3, but I don't know how Livingston are setting up this season to know where he'd fit. Looks ~average but hes still young and finding his role.

Martindale has been using a weird christmas tree formation, 4321 - having two AMs in behind Nouble up front although you'd imagine we go back to the usual 4231 with wingers and Pittman in the AM role when we've got Anderson back fit. It looks likely he's there as Pittman succession/rotation

1 minute ago, ATLIS said:

Martindale has been using a weird christmas tree formation, 4321 - having two AMs in behind Nouble up front although you'd imagine we go back to the usual 4231 with wingers and Pittman in the AM role when we've got Anderson back fit. It looks likely he's there as Pittman succession/rotation

Was thinking the same thing. Love Scotty to bits but would say a bit more competition for his spot would benefit the team. 

1 hour ago, hoobahabba said:

We had the same with Robby McCrorie. Turned out to be shite for us. Young though so who knows. 

Old Firm prospects are very rarely any much better than anyone else’s prospects.  They just happen to get more hype.  

I'm a luddite with social media so these videos probably get tweeted out or something and everyone already knows about them. In case anyone isn't aware, though, the Livi Youtube channel uploads short match previews and reviews with Martindale for every match. They provide good insight. Latest:

10 minutes ago, Durnford said:

I'd be particularly interested if he was good at set pieces; particularly corners.

Kelly was very poor with the corners on Wednesday and Shinnie also seems to have lost his touch.

Aye if only we had 4 or 5 players well over 6ft to aim the ball into a particular area for them all to get in there and attack it. Seriously how can a set piece taker not practice like feck at hitting balls into the box, and at least hit it over the head of the first defender at corners, and not overhit it to the opposite corner flag.

Players should know exactly where it's going and with the height we have in our team now we should have a very good chance of getting a head on the ball, Ayo, Fitzwater, Bahamboula, Guthrie, Nouble, yet we waste just about every set piece we have.