Livingston - all the threads merged

2 hours ago, LiviLion said:

Not seeing the point in that signing tbh, I know Martindale wants 3 keepers in the building but I would have thought our backup to our backup would have just been some random 20 year old or something.

What I would say is that the B team keeper looks really young so I can understand the signing to a certain extent, even if my initial reaction was the same as yours. 

Maley would have probably been fine as 3rd choice until the end of the season by which time you have a plan in place for the younger keeper slot. 

He says he was very close to changing things for the match yesterday but in the end felt he couldn't justify dropping any of the players from the Dundee Utd and Hibs victories. Then suggests he maybe got that wrong and that going with a changed formation or player selection might've stopped the sluggish attacking play from the team yesterday. There was a noticeable lack of impetus when we had possession, especially first half. The usual running off the ball from the midfield wasn't there and none were demanding the ball either. A couple of times Obileye tried to play out and either ended up dribbling into trouble or just having to knock it long because he had no passing options at all provided to him. Anyway, going by what Martindale says here we can definitely expect changes for the Aberdeen match next week.

Should've listened to himself, can't go into every game with the same shape and tactics, you have to look at every game as it comes and how best to approach it, he knows this too, and will hopefully not make the same mistake again.
Totally understandable why he's done it though with the performances that side put in. Be interesting to see how we change things up for Aberdeen...perhaps go back to the more natural 4-3-3 with Nouble and perhaps Mullin either side of Anderson

Just brought myself to watch the highlights on Sportscene, yep clearly didn't hit Montano's arm, and both Lamie and Goss had great views of it, so can only conclude Goss is cheating like buggery jumping about claiming it hit his arm. Same player rolls about for Bahamboula's 2nd booking, does he do this all the time in games?

Doesn't detract from the incompetence of the officials allowing a player to con them, esp for the penalty.

21 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
55 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
Should've listened to himself, can't go into every game with the same shape and tactics, you have to look at every game as it comes and how best to approach it, he knows this too, and will hopefully not make the same mistake again.

Totally understandable why he's done it though with the performances that side put in. Be interesting to see how we change things up for Aberdeen...perhaps go back to the more natural 4-3-3 with Nouble and perhaps Mullin either side of Anderson

Yeah not wanting to drop the players, but you can't stick rigidly to the same formation no matter who we're playing. That's also the point of signing a squad of players that are good at playing in particular positions, Bahamboula and Mullin are wingers and some games we'll need to use actual wingers and not rely on FB's playing as WB's as our only option getting down the wings. Martindale has prev for sticking too long with a system that works well in a game (Shinnie up front against Celtic), in this case 3 games, he's at least recognizing his mistake though, and isn't repeating it for the Aberdeen game.

Hindsight now but i also thought he could've set us up more attacking against Utd away too, but understand his caution there, when we played them they were on a high after winning in Europe.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Yeah not wanting to drop the players, but you can't stick rigidly to the same formation no matter who we're playing. That's also the point of signing a squad of players that are good at playing in particular positions, Bahamboula and Mullin are wingers and some games we'll need to use actual wingers and not rely on FB's playing as WB's as our only option getting down the wings. Martindale has prev for sticking too long with a system that works well in a game (Shinnie up front against Celtic), in this case 3 games, he's at least recognizing his mistake though, and isn't repeating it for the Aberdeen game.
Hindsight now but i also thought he could've set us up more attacking against Utd away too, but understand his caution there, when we played them they were on a high after winning in Europe.
It's always a case of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...had he changed the set up and lost, fans would be questioning his decision to change

24 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

It's always a case of damned if he does, damned if he doesn't...had he changed the set up and lost, fans would be questioning his decision to change

Said it before the game too, so i wouldn't have been one of them, although i still credited him with getting us the win in Dundee. Thought they looked weak in defence in that game and we could've run riot had we brought Anderson on and pressed them though. Might've done the same to Hibs in the first half, but again we won so he did a good job getting us the 3 pts.

All in all we've been unlucky with ref decisions, could've/should've had a point against Sevco and Motherwell, and been undefeated in our first 4 games had the Refs made the right calls. Just glad the ref in the Hibs game was good enough to see Boyle dived and didn't give them the pen, so at least there is some decent ref's going about.

56 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Wonder if we'll have any news prior to the window closing then

Meant to be after an attacking player/striker, didn't think we particularly needed one but with Bruce having 2 ankle injuries already this season and Joel not scoring anymore goals in our last 2 games, we are struggling for goals again. Still think Mullin could get us some but for whatever reason, it doesn't look like he's getting near the team just now. Hopefully Bruce gets back into the team and doesn't pick up anymore injuries for a while but another striker may not be a bad idea now, one that can actually score a few goals. 

Don’t actually think we need another striker, but think we are crying out for a good quality winger. Summer recruitment has been very poor, hopefully it’s just a case of players settling in. As it stands the squad is weaker than it was last year. Lost Bailey and Forrest and haven’t replaced their goals with anyone else. 

Aye sounds promising, but we'd need to switch back to a front 3 for him or Bruce getting a game.

He can play anywhere across the front 3 and is happy doing so. Very athletic, good in the air and works hard for the team and for me, working hard for the team is a basic necessity to play for both myself and for Livingston Football Club. He certainly has that application to his game. 

Hopefully this means we're going to be doing so.

Yeah hoping this means we can get Nouble back on the wing now, got an option of Bahamboula or Guthrie on the wing and Nouble on the other with Bruce up front. Hopefully he's as good as the last Guthrie we had :D