Livingston - all the threads merged

Was thinking after the game that Saturday might've been Ayo's best game for us. He done everything right and kept it simple, if he can consistently do that then him and Fitzwater is fine. He needs someone better and a bit wiser next to him to flourish - like he's got with Fitzwater now. I'd love to see us tie Fitzwater down and just agree a modest release clause on the deal. Even something like 500k-1m which is affordable for the level he could play at
We should really be chasing 7 figures for Fitzwater if we're serious about not getting shafted every time we have a top talent to cash in on

17 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Omeonga is superb on his day, but he did drop off in games last season, that inconsistency is prob why he's signed with us. Brilliant player to have for Livi, but a bigger team would want that high performance Omeonga in every game. He can get away with dropping off a bit with us as he still puts in a lot of effort, even when the quality isn't at its best.

Any suggestion that Omeonga is inconsistent is absolutely wild, I'm sorry. 

10 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Maybe he could go to Man Utd and sort the defence out there... 

Given that they're in need of miracles at OT (or even just rid of parasitic owners), it's Holy water that's required there.

Just now, mozam76 said:

I don't agree with that tbf, he was pretty poor for 4-6 weeks at the end of last season. On a whole he's been great for us, but I don't think he's anywhere near the consistency of Holt/Pittman

59 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

He certainly had a dip towards the tail end of last season. That's why we saw more of Kelly in the post split games. There may have been underlying factors such as injury or maybe his head wasn't right but he hasn't shown that full season consistency that Holt or Devlin does...YET. Even looking at someone like Jack McMillan who didn't play a lot but was always consistent when he played. Omeonga is an unbelievable player on his day...if he can go through the season playing like he has so far then he'll probably surpass Holt/Devlin levels

Stryjek to Wycombe Wanderers reported in the Daily Record. A decent player who dug us out a Robbie McCrorie-shaped hole for a time, but overall not consistent or calm enough to be a long term option 

Not a surprise given Martindale's comment, however i hope we bring in cover as it feels like Ivan will head at any moment

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

he hasn't shown that full season consistency that Holt or Devlin does

I agree that those two have upped their game the past year, Devlin especially has become a reliable defender, however both took time to settle in. Holt was here nearly a year before excelling as the main DM for example. Harsh to ask Omeonga for a full season of consistency when he joined a poor Livi team in late August with no pre-season imo  

Good luck to Max, often seen as pantomime villain but saved us on many occasions. We forget the was player of the month  2 if not 3 times during our horrendous start to last season, saved last minute penalty against Celtic ,tremendous save against rangers from free kick which preserved the 0-0 score in both games. Yes we’ve seen a few crazy moments but overall a very good shot stopper and I’m sure he’ll do well wherever it ends up.

20 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Stryjek to Wycombe Wanderers reported in the Daily Record

I'm off to their game v Exeter tonight, be good to see him chuck one in for old time's sake if they managed to get it through quick enough.

Always felt he'd be a great keeper once he cut out the stupid mistakes - unfortunately seemed to go the other way and the mistakes and, erm, fouls looked more common. Hope we've got a semi-decent bit of money for him and he does well down there.

Unfortunately his mistakes were becoming repetitive and for him and the club was maybe best he move on.Not sure if we'll get a fee for him,but he'll go with my best wishes and hopefully rediscover the form that made him a favourite among the Livi faithfull. Good luck Max.

32 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Not a surprise given Martindale's comment, however i hope we bring in cover as it feels like Ivan will head at any moment

Don't think so, his family have apparently just arrived from Russia. I think he will be here until the end of the season at a minimum.

Given his performance against Bonnyrigg, he looks like a decent option.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Stryjek is an ok keeper so this is a very good move for him. Better than McCrorie but it never felt like he really wanted to be here which probably led to inconsistent form. Too many mistakes for the amount of games where he really won us points.

No idea what happened in the lead-up to the cup final but he definitely should have played. My heart sank when I saw the line-up that day with McCrorie in goals.

3 hours ago, mozam76 said:

He was last season though, had a run where he was player of the month then dropped off, looked like he'd be PoTM every month in that spell he was that good, but his form def dropped. He even dropped out of the team near the end of the season pre and post split for 4 or 5 games.

38 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Don't think so, his family have apparently just arrived from Russia. I think he will be here until the end of the season at a minimum.

Given his performance against Bonnyrigg, he looks like a decent option.

Good to know, and explains the lack of noise about him leaving or another keeper coming in 

Ironically, the cup final was probably McCrorie's best game in a Livi shirt. 

Luckily for us, Max's best form came when he was our only realistic option (with Barden's illness and Maley covering) He seemed to struggle when facing competition, but is too inconsistent to be undisputed No.1. An odd mix

12 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He was last season though, had a run where he was player of the month then dropped off, looked like he'd be PoTM every month in that spell he was that good, but his form def dropped. He even dropped out of the team near the end of the season pre and post split for 4 or 5 games.

It's the term inconsistent that I have an issue with here. For me, an inconsistent player is someone who you don't know what kind of performance level you're going to get on any given day. If we're labeling Omeonga as inconsistent because he had a period of 5 or 6 games where he wasn't up to his usual standards, then you can label every single player who ever played the game as inconsistent.

Max def has the ability, but his head just wasn't in the right place at times, rumours he liked being out partying before games didn't help. Had a spell where he was fully focused on the job and did well for us, but you always felt a brain fart moment was never far away.

4 minutes ago, mozam76 said:

It's the term inconsistent that I have an issue with here. For me, an inconsistent player is someone who you don't know what kind of performance level you're going to get on any given day. If we're labeling Omeonga as inconsistent because he had a period of 5 or 6 games where he wasn't up to his usual standards, then you can label every single player who ever played the game as inconsistent.

It was a bit longer than that tbf, which lead to him being dropped out of the team, you can have off days but when they happen to a degree you get dropped and don't get back into the team for a spell i'd say it showed inconsistency. Martindale usually gives players leeway if they have built up enough in the bank for the odd bad game, and Omeonga certainly had done enough for some brownie points, but it only allows you so many games to get it together again.

I love watching Omeonga, he's amazing the way he gets the ball back on the very odd occasion he loses it, always feel safe when we give him the ball, that he'll get it up the pitch for us safely, and for a small player he wins some amount of headers, but even i noticed his dip in form. Delighted he's back to his best this season too, him and Nouble are my 2 favourite players to watch on the ball. 

I'd say it really comes down to how you see "inconsistency", and the level of football you're looking at 

Omeonga has probably ranged from a 6/10 to a 10/10 in his time here, and incidentally he's also playing in a good Livi team full of similar players who do the sensible things well (Holt, Shinnie, Pittman especially) which tend to highlight poorer performances. 

Championship and League One era Livi - "Inconsistent" probably means players who range from 2/10 to 10/10. 

I'd probably err to the latter definition, but there's no doubt that as Livi has improved, standards and expectations improve too. 

1 hour ago, Tony mac said:

Good luck to Max, often seen as pantomime villain but saved us on many occasions. We forget the was player of the month  2 if not 3 times during our horrendous start to last season, saved last minute penalty against Celtic ,tremendous save against rangers from free kick which preserved the 0-0 score in both games.

Away to Dundee early last season, the 0-0 draw, was possibly his very best performance for us. Not losing that day was very important at the time.