Livingston - all the threads merged

2 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Apparently he's spent the whole summer working on his finishing. Sort of feels like the last part of the puzzle for him in becoming a real star for us. He's some boy. 

Another one that's surprising is Sean Kelly, he went from being written off and being a joke at the club when played at CB, then LB. He's somehow turned that into being a starter at CM which is astounding. He's so technically good and is a real physical presence in the middle. Absolutely mental that transformation but credit to him and Martindale for nurturing that inside of him. 

Not sure his shots are harder but he's stuck 2 cool finishes away with lovely chips, which is a brilliant piece of skill a lot of strikers can't do. Unlucky not to get a 2nd too, and almost an assist if Bruce had scored.

Ayo has been night and day from pre season against Morton too, looked a total bombscare for us, but has put in some tremendous performances in the league. It is all really coming together for us just now, always going to hit a stick patch but it's good getting the early points in the bag, gives us a wee breathing space for when it gets tough not picking up points for a spell.

18 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

always going to hit a stick patch but it's good getting the early points in the bag, gives us a wee breathing space for when it gets tough not picking up points for a spell.

It basically got Motherwell European football last year. I do think this year there will be a definitive line between the top 6 and bottom 6. The top 6 race will not be as tight as it was last year. Suspect it will be something like below.

Celtic/Rangers 

Hearts

Livi/Aberdeen/Hibs

-----

Motherwell/Dundee Utd/Kilmarnock

Ross County/St Mirren/St Johnstone

3 hours ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

It basically got Motherwell European football last year. I do think this year there will be a definitive line between the top 6 and bottom 6. The top 6 race will not be as tight as it was last year. Suspect it will be something like below.

Celtic/Rangers 

Hearts

Livi/Aberdeen/Hibs

-----

Motherwell/Dundee Utd/Kilmarnock

Ross County/St Mirren/St Johnstone

About the only ones I can pretty much guarantee will finish in the top six are the old firm and Hearts.

Aberdeen had a good league cup but other that that have been particularly meh

Hibs; well it depends which Hibs you're talking about; the one in the first 45b mins of Saturday's game will be struggling against relegation; the second half team should be comfortably mid table at least.

Motherwell are starting to pick up a bit of a head of steam; new manager effect perhaps.

Dundee United certainly should be better than they are;  goalkeeper is a real liability - they'd be better even with Stryjek on one of his worst days.

Killie's a bit of an unknown but I've yet to see anything to suggest that they wont have a very tough season but that s based on a collection of five minute "highlights".

Ross County; loathed to write them off too soon after the turnaround they achieved last season; who knows.

St Mirren/St  Johnstone; who knows. The buddies signed a few and its taking time for them to gel;  as for St Johnstone; passed experience leads me to not write them off too soon.

Anyway off to the docs now; getting the splinters removed from my a##e from sitting on the fence.

Aye Fitzwater is clearly the leader at the back, without him I wouldn't have as much faith in Obileye coaching a younger player like Boyes or Cancar through games. 

Only positives are that he's not actively keen to leave, and may view another season as a mainstay before becoming a free agent aged 25 as a better option to get a move he wants. 

Does anyone else know who's in a similar situation. I think Omeonga and Obileye are in their final year, with a few other players having optional years added in

On 09/07/2022 at 11:53, EdinburghLivi said:

Goalkeepers
1. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Shamal George - 2026
31. 🇷🇺 Ivan Konovalov - 2023 (1 year extension option)
32. 🇵🇱 Max Stryjek - 2024
40. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Gary Maley - Jan 2023

Defenders
2. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Nicky Devlin - 2023
3. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Jackson Longridge - 2023
4. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Tom Parkes - 2023
5. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Jack Fitzwater - 2023
6. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Ayo Obileye - 2023 (1 year extension option)
12. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Jamie Brandon - 2025
15. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Morgan Boyes - 2023 (1 year extension option)
25. 🇦🇺 Phillip Cancar - 2024 (1 year extension option)
29. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 James Penrice - 2024

Midfielders
8. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Scott Pittman - 2023
18. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Jason Holt - 2023
20. 🇨🇬 Scott Bitsindou - 2024 (1 year extension option)
24. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Sean Kelly - 2024
33. 🇧🇪 Stephane Omeonga - 2023

Forwards
7. 🇨🇬 Dylan Bahamboula - 2024 (1 year extension option)
9. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Bruce Anderson - 2024
10. 🇬🇼 Esmaël Gonçalves - 2024 (1 year extension option)
11. 🇨🇴 Cristian Montano - 2023 (1 year extension option)
14. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Josh Mullin - 2023
19. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 Joel Nouble - 2023 (1 year extension option)
22. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 Andrew Shinnie - 2023

Holt has largely been an unsung hero, recognized last season for the work he does but another who quietly just goes about his business and is a right pain in the arse to opposition players. Was all over the place intercepting balls and putting in challenges against Hibs, would be a huge loss to us so hopefully we get him signed up for another couple of seasons.

Got in there pretty sharp when Porteous was trying to instigate a pushing match between him and Montano, to get Montano sent off, and shoved Porteous back to take the attention away from Montano, then Porteous started all the finger pointing realizing the moment was gone, Holt is a good team player.

Fitzwater has really come into his own since Guthrie left, and has been a mainstay in our defence, we can't afford to lose him this season, we could have a cracking season and don't want big changes derailing it.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I'd say Holt and Shinnie will stay given their age, status in team and previous payday moves. Devlin to stay as he seems pretty settled and is probably at his ceiling as a lower/mid Premiership FB. Pittman to stay as he's Scott Pittman and West Lothian daft

Montano probably will sign up but may fancy a move back down, given he was looking this summer

The effort will be Fitzwater and Omeonga. Fitzwater will be a fairly experience, EPL team graduate,  25 year old CB with 5 years of playing experience, and Omeonga is clearly a level above in terms of technique and still only 27. I'd say it comes down to if we finish top 6

18 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I'd say Holt and Shinnie will stay given their age, status in team and previous payday moves. Devlin to stay as he seems pretty settled and is probably at his ceiling as a lower/mid Premiership FB. Pittman to stay as he's Scott Pittman and West Lothian daft

Montano probably will sign up but may fancy a move back down, given he was looking this summer

The effort will be Fitzwater and Omeonga. Fitzwater will be a fairly experience, EPL team graduate,  25 year old CB with 5 years of playing experience, and Omeonga is clearly a level above in terms of technique and still only 27. I'd say it comes down to if we finish top 6

Yeah Fitzwater deserves a move down South for decent wages, he's improved a good bit since joining us and would fit in no problem to a Championship team, or maybe even get a shot at the EPL, just don't want to lose him this season when everything is starting to go well for us. 

Omeonga is superb on his day, but he did drop off in games last season, that inconsistency is prob why he's signed with us. Brilliant player to have for Livi, but a bigger team would want that high performance Omeonga in every game. He can get away with dropping off a bit with us as he still puts in a lot of effort, even when the quality isn't at its best.

3 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah Fitzwater deserves a move down South for decent wages, he's improved a good bit since joining us and would fit in no problem to a Championship team, or maybe even get a shot at the EPL, just don't want to lose him this season when everything is starting to go well for us. 

Omeonga is superb on his day, but he did drop off in games last season, that inconsistency is prob why he's signed with us. Brilliant player to have for Livi, but a bigger team would want that high performance Omeonga in every game. He can get away with dropping off a bit with us as he still puts in a lot of effort, even when the quality isn't at its best.

Agreed, generating transfer fees is always good but sometime having a player in the squad is better. It reminds me of the situation we had with Gallagher and Halkett in our first season

As much as Omeonga did slightly drop off, I'd take into consideration that he joined us late-August as a free agent so had little pre-season. Given he plays at 100mph I'd probably expect a slight dip, I wouldn't say he's necessarily inconsistent 

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-defender-no-rush-leave-27731241
Not sure I have seen anyone comment on this. Would be a big loss.
I get the feeling Cancar was signed with a view to replacing Fitzwater. Davie hasn't been shy in saying he expects him to leave shortly for a fair wedge

I think if Fitz goes, we need a replacement. There's a chance he goes on the last day of the window, which would be a disaster for us. No idea what our best CB pairing is without him, Ayo & Cancar at the moment? Parkes might have had a shot if he was fit, similarly with Boyes. Bitsindou played there at Albion Rovers, but not at all convinced he'd play there consistently.

Was thinking after the game that Saturday might've been Ayo's best game for us. He done everything right and kept it simple, if he can consistently do that then him and Fitzwater is fine. He needs someone better and a bit wiser next to him to flourish - like he's got with Fitzwater now. I'd love to see us tie Fitzwater down and just agree a modest release clause on the deal. Even something like 500k-1m which is affordable for the level he could play at

Edited by ATLIS

Was thinking after the game that Saturday might've been Ayo's best game for us. He done everything right and kept it simple, if he can consistently do that then him and Fitzwater is fine. He needs someone better and a bit wiser next to him to flourish - like he's got with Fitzwater now. I'd love to see us tie Fitzwater down and just agree a modest release clause on the deal. Even something like 500k-1m which is affordable for the level he could play at
We should really be chasing 7 figures for Fitzwater if we're serious about not getting shafted every time we have a top talent to cash in on

17 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Any suggestion that Omeonga is inconsistent is absolutely wild, I'm sorry. 

10 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Maybe he could go to Man Utd and sort the defence out there... 

Given that they're in need of miracles at OT (or even just rid of parasitic owners), it's Holy water that's required there.

Just now, mozam76 said:

Any suggestion that Omeonga is inconsistent is absolutely wild, I'm sorry. 

I don't agree with that tbf, he was pretty poor for 4-6 weeks at the end of last season. On a whole he's been great for us, but I don't think he's anywhere near the consistency of Holt/Pittman