Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Starting to fear we might not see Tom again in a Livi shirt. On the rare occurrences we saw him last season I thought he looked pretty handy.

Morgan started to settle at the end of last season and began to show his potential but there's already significant competition for the CM position

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-defender-could-miss-entire-27656223?fbclid=IwAR2ZBCmWuUeFZiqBgo4wkiPjzgWF_lq4rhsKEOi5GOY91Gb4EbwrYYSL2uM

Not sure Parkes is a huge loss as we've hardly seen him. Boyes looked good whenever he played and has good potential.

Worth noting Boyes is a CB. Martindale saying he wanted to loan him out is interesting as IMO he's too good for that. He'll be a fine replacement for Parkes I reckon. He looked somewhat better than Ayo towards the end of last season which helped in making him look decent.

19 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Not sure Parkes is a huge loss as we've hardly seen him. Boyes looked good whenever he played and has good potential.

Worth noting Boyes is a CB. Martindale saying he wanted to loan him out is interesting as IMO he's too good for that. He'll be a fine replacement for Parkes I reckon. He looked somewhat better than Ayo towards the end of last season which helped in making him look decent.

Sorry Typo - meant CD for both.

As for Parkes; I still remember that last minute header against Ross County to win the game 2-3.

Yes; he only had I think 8 appearances last season and most; other than the league cup, were off the bench. Still I think he had potential once losing weight.

Parkes had a poor start in a poor team, however once he got going he looked decent (but not at LCB in a 3) 

Boyes looked much better, however, so I'm surprised he's one mentioned as being loaned out. As much as game time makes sense, he offers much more balance than Obileye at LCB, better cover than Longridge at LB and is probably one of the few potential sellable assets we have

I actually thought Boyes had a poor start but that was largely down to being given the final five minutes in games when Martindale was in his tinkering phase. 

You can't give a fair assessment of anyone on those terms. 

Towards the end of the season he looked far better and you could almost see the confidence building up in him. Would be interesting to see him get a run of games though and not simply ten minutes here and there.

Not altogether a fan of him being loaned out; we will pick up injuries and suspensions (hopefully no more straight reds) so feel he will get his chance.

Yeah I'm basing it on the post-split games. I don't think any January signing impressed much pre-split, mainly due to the settled team and importance of the games limiting any meaningful rotation.

Well that and the fact the striking reinforcements were guff

Edited by The Wrong Car

Fair play to the guy banging on about Nouble being best as a striker. I was very much of that opinion before I saw him playing for us and subsequently agreed he was better on the wing. 

Not sure if it's the way we are playing or if he has moved up a gear but he is looking unbelievable in that position so far this season. Anderson has a tough job getting the #9 spot back.

40 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Fair play to the guy banging on about Nouble being best as a striker. I was very much of that opinion before I saw him playing for us and subsequently agreed he was better on the wing. 

Not sure if it's the way we are playing or if he has moved up a gear but he is looking unbelievable in that position so far this season. Anderson has a tough job getting the #9 spot back.

When we tried him as a striker before it patently didn't work but then he was generally up there with someone else and he seemed to settle into more of a support role rather as the main focus of the attack. 

Just recently he's been the main focus for the forward ball; previously I would have said that wouldn't have worked as he'd get crowded out but he seems to thrive on it. So far we've seen sides trying to man mark him with one or two defenders and he seems to shrug them all off.

I'd never have seen that as working - patently I was wrong.

Its really difficult not to draw a comparison with Harry Panayiotou; who was his teammate at Aldershot. Panayiotou was apparently always unfit and didn't seem to improve; eventually leaving the club calling the atmosphere "toxic". 

Nouble is always having to shrug players off, no matter where he plays, there is at least 2 on him and one holding onto his arm/shirt. He's the closest thing to Fernandez i've seen the way he can have 3 or 4 players around him and still come out with the ball, great at making runs into the box along the byeline too. I still think Anderson is our best No9, and will score a barrowload of goals if Martindale actually plays him, he's a great finisher and gets his shots off so quick. Trouble is fitting both of them into the team now, if Nouble isn't going to be playing either side in a front 3.

Hoping it's just away games against perceived top 6 teams, or the erse cheeks home and away, that we're having Nouble in the sole striker role, flooding our midfield and relying on someone to bang in the goal(s) in narrow wins, and we'll at least be more attacking at home, or it'll be like watching St Johnstone grinding out results the season they won the double, hard to score against and nicking the odd goal. Effective but not great to watch every game.

Yes; its going to be very much a "horses-for-courses" sort of season I think.

On Saturday it was largely a 4-5-1 format although some might argue that it was really a 4-4-1-1 as Pittman played an advanced role for about an hour. Feasibly we could go to 3-5-2 against more defensively focused teams but we have enough skillsets to make up a convincing string of other formats; plenty of strength on the wings; some attacking options; good cover in defence. 

Previously we've had a plethora of guys to fit in one or two positions but precious little cover elsewhere; this is almost unknown territory for us.

Edited by Durnford

6 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

He's the closest thing to Fernandez i've seen the way he can have 3 or 4 players around him and still come out with the ball

Great shout, he is reminiscent of Fernandez that way.

Some performance from Konovalov. 4 penalty saves and countless great saves in normal time in what was one of the most one sided games I've seen. 

Number 7 and 9 looked good in the first half but it was all about the defence and some horrendous finishing in the second half. Well done to the centre backs for putting in a brave performance against two big pros in Kevin Smith and McGachie.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

12 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Some performance from Konovalov. 4 penalty saves and countless great saves in normal time in what was one of the most one sided games I've seen. 

Number 7 and 9 looked good in the first half but it was all about the defence and some horrendous finishing in the second half. Well done to the centre backs for putting in a brave performance against two big pros in Kevin Smith and McGachie.

Could be useful bringing him on in cup games going to pen kicks. Was it Holland that did that in a big tourney once, can remember a keeper coming on specifically for the pens, as he was that good at saving them.

On 02/08/2022 at 23:10, Durnford said:

We probably got about £38k extra than we would have otherwise.

That's more than five years worth of player sponsorship.

Wonder what the cost of renewing the 330 seats we've taken out the away stands, i think we used them for replacing broken seats, but against the erse cheeks that's about 24-32K a season lost revenue, and also 330 away tickets in the proper place for them not having to try sneaking in the home end.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Looks like we're going to be signing a striker. Livingston closing in on forward as final new signing of transfer window | Edinburgh News (scotsman.com)

Livingston closing in on forward as final new signing of transfer window

Livingston manager David Martindale believes he is close to completing his summer recruitment with the addition of a new attacking player.

TBH it does really read like a combination of two separate interviews Davie previously gave including some almost exactly the same wordings.

A wee bit of update on the Montano scoring at the weekend but it does read a bit like its a journo hash job.

Of course I'll eat my words when a 20 goals a season arrives on Monday.

5 minutes ago, Durnford said:

TBH it does really read like a combination of two separate interviews Davie previously gave including some almost exactly the same wordings.

A wee bit of update on the Montano scoring at the weekend but it does read a bit like its a journo hash job.

Of course I'll eat my words when a 20 goals a season arrives on Monday.

Aye but will he get a game, Anderson could be a 20 goal a season striker but he's getting bench sores from sitting on his arse.