Livingston - all the threads merged

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah don't think he is lazy, just looks it, and is a similar build to Mackin. Not his fault but the way we want our No9 to play is high intensity chasing down balls, and pressing opposition players bringing the ball out from the back, Hammy just hasn't the pace or stamina to do that. Even at Arbroath in games i've watched them he didn't do it for me, esp in their play offs.

Maybe the fans (or at least my) expectation is putting unfair pressure on him to be a star player for us, i'm bursting for him to be a 12-15 goal striker for us, and he has been here a while, and i'm getting a tad impatient waiting for him fulfilling that expectation. 

There's the rub really; Hamilton doesn't suit the lone striker idiom working up there alone. He has the physicality but not the sudden burst acceleration. Surely far better suited to a striking partnership but I cant recall us adopting that certainly within the premiership years. Kenny Miller's short tenure was about the closest we came but that's probably not the best example.

As I posted before, I think both spells that Hamilton was in the and around the first team were our worst periods since promotion - not because of Hamilton, I should add. I don't think he is a starting striker this year, but do believe in the latter part of the season we became far more dynamic going forward and weren't relying on counter-attacking goals and set pieces. 

We saw far more chance created and goals scored through 'team-goals'. Build up play with overlapping down the wings was particularly effective and I think Hamilton is far more suited now to that playing style than he was with how we played previously. He has an eye for goal there is no doubt and if we are able to pick him out in the box as appose to playing through balls to him then he can definitely make a mark this year. 

Hamilton is a funny one.  Scores for fun in the Championship, but doesn't seem to look as promising in the Premiership.  In all fairness, he's never really had a fair chance at Livingston.  I think if Indecisive Davie is still unsure about Hamilton, he should be kept at the club this coming season to fight for his place and see how he gets on.  Although I fear that his future lies elsewhere.  If that's the case, I'm certain he'll go with the supporter's best wishes for the future.  Can't fault his loyalty.

To be a little cynical, I believe part of Livi fans desire for him to do well is not fully founded in him being that good, it is more that he has been our only real youth prospect for the past 4 years or so. Looking forward to having a flow of youth players coming through that we can get behind. 

1 hour ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

To be a little cynical, I believe part of Livi fans desire for him to do well is not fully founded in him being that good, it is more that he has been our only real youth prospect for the past 4 years or so. Looking forward to having a flow of youth players coming through that we can get behind. 

He's been good at every level he's played when out on loan, if he can just carry that into the Premiership i'd be delighted.

We've done quite well signing other teams young players since we binned our youth teams though, but if we can unearth the odd gem from our own one (and make some decent money from selling him) it would be great, after spending time and money developing them. Ultimately i'm not sure how financially beneficial it has been having our own youth teams, we made more from selling Dykes than all our youth players combined (Dorrans, Snoddy, Griffiths, Muzza, McNulty, Scougall etc), by a considerable amount too.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

He's been good at every level he's played when out on loan, if he can just carry that into the Premiership i'd be delighted.
We've done quite well signing other teams young players since we binned our youth teams though, but if we can unearth the odd gem from our own one (and make some decent money from selling him) it would be great, after spending time and money developing them. Ultimately i'm not sure how financially beneficial it has been having our own youth teams, we made more from selling Dykes than all our youth players combined (Dorrans, Snoddy, Griffiths, Muzza, McNulty, Scougall etc), by a considerable amount too.
I think the lack of money for Griffiths, dorrans, snoddy etc was down to piss poor management of the team and the club

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

we made more from selling Dykes than all our youth players combined (Dorrans, Snoddy, Griffiths, Muzza, McNulty, Scougall etc)

Did I imagine that we got next to nothing for Scougall because John Collins pocketed it?

4 hours ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

I completely agree with this. I just don't think he's Premiership standard, and his style doesn't fit with ours anyway. If we can get a fee for him, I'd let him go.

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:
2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I think the lack of money for Griffiths, dorrans, snoddy etc was down to piss poor management of the team and the club

Aye we were at the mercy of basket cases and a crook selling the family silver before leaving us with a pile of debt going into admin. This board along with Martindale are far more switched on when doing business signing and selling players. It was criminal how little money we got for those players. 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

Did I imagine that we got next to nothing for Scougall because John Collins pocketed it?

I think both Hughes and Collins had a deal tied in with getting a percentage of any players we sold.

Fixture released: Playing 2nd, 4th, 5th and 3rd in our open 6 may actually be the perfect start due to European football commitments. Depending on how Motherwell and Dundee Utd progress. Hopefully can take advantage and use the more favourable second phase of our opening 11 to put ourselves in a good position going into mid-season. 

Martindale said we are only signing two more players, I think that’s decent cause every season we sign all these players who barley get a chance, will be interesting if Mullin and Kabia get a chance this year

5 hours ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Fixture released: Playing 2nd, 4th, 5th and 3rd in our open 6 may actually be the perfect start due to European football commitments. Depending on how Motherwell and Dundee Utd progress. Hopefully can take advantage and use the more favourable second phase of our opening 11 to put ourselves in a good position going into mid-season. 

Aye don't come much tougher than Sevco for our opening game, but it's at home and as good a time as any to play them, looking forward to it already. :guns

5 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Is that Rangers first day of the season twice in a row now? Ffs

At home this time though so i think we have a chance getting something. Season before we lost our opening league game to St Mirren so no guarantee of points no matter who we play first.

Incidentally i see this is our first home game for the league opener, prev ones were away to Celtic, Motherwell, St Mirren and Sevco, and the only one we got something from was a draw at Motherwell. Finally we get a home opening game, and it's against Sevco.😂

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

10 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

At home this time though so i think we have a chance getting something. Season before we lost our opening league game to St Mirren so no guarantee of points no matter who we play first.

Incidentally i see this is our first home game for the league opener, prev ones were away to Celtic, Motherwell, St Mirren and Sevco, and the only one we got something from was a draw at Motherwell. Finally we get a home opening game, and it's against Sevco.😂

The Motherwell game was at home. Nicky Devlin should have won it late on.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

4 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

The Motherwell game was at home. Nicky Devlin should have won it late on.

👍

A 0-0 with Stewart in goals too, wooft. Nice overhead kick by Souda.

So the only league opening day point was a home game, hopefully we'll get another positive result at home to Sevco too.