Livingston - all the threads merged

How has Nouble settled in with you guys. What a great job he did for us at Arbroath. Although I was never sure how he would do when stepping up to the Premier.
Hasn't scored yet but has been brilliant. Had to be a bit clever as the refs are punishing him for being big but also letting 2 guys hang off him without giving a foul. Exciting to watch and seems well liked by the management, players and fans

Anyone else thinking it would be worth getting JET in for the last 5 games, now his contract has been terminated with Aberdeen. Forrest can do the leg work in a front 3 of him Jet and Nouble, JET being the No9, he's got a wicked shot and is accurate with it too. Nouble and JET would give defenders nightmares with their physicality. 

18 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Anyone else thinking it would be worth getting JET in for the last 5 games, now his contract has been terminated with Aberdeen. Forrest can do the leg work in a front 3 of him Jet and Nouble, JET being the No9, he's got a wicked shot and is accurate with it too. Nouble and JET would give defenders nightmares with their physicality. 

His contract would have had to have been terminated before the window closed for him to be able to play again this season I think.

2 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

His contract would have had to have been terminated before the window closed for him to be able to play again this season I think.

Oh right, i thought he'd be a free contract player and could sign up outside the transfer window at any time.

7 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:
14 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:
Oh right, i thought he'd be a free contract player and could sign up outside the transfer window at any time.

He can sign a contract but can't officially be registered until the transfer window opens

Ah well was just a thought, we wont need him next season with Anderson back fit, and might have Poplatnik signed up on an extended deal too, now he's doing well with Raith in his loan spell.

Ah well was just a thought, we wont need him next season with Anderson back fit, and might have Poplatnik signed up on an extended deal too, now he's doing well with Raith in his loan spell.
I can see Jet playing for us again before Poplatnik but both are very unlikely. Wouldn't surprise me if Davie offers Jet a place to train until the end of the season

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:
2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I can see Jet playing for us again before Poplatnik but both are very unlikely. Wouldn't surprise me if Davie offers Jet a place to train until the end of the season

Read this in an article quoting DM.

Livi boss Martindale said: “Matej has been really, really unlucky. He obviously went to Raith Rovers to play every week and score goals.

“I don’t think he’s had as much game-time as I hoped he would have or Matej hoped he would have.

“But now he’s scored a few goals and it was really, really nice to see him doing it in a cup final. I think it will do huge wonders for his confidence.

“We’ve got an option on a further year in the summer.

“He’s definitely given me food for thought by scoring two goals in a cup final – two fantastic goals.”

On 10/04/2022 at 12:06, thruthenight said:

Agree that Kelly was excellent, but Lewis was pretty poor IMO. I'd probably go as far as saying that if Penrice hadn't been injured we'd have won that game. 

Taken me a long time to decompress from Saturday but of the little they had in the game, all of it came down our left hand side. Longridge (not on the bench), Kelly or probably even Montano would have been better options at left back in hindsight. 

Don't begrudge the move to 3-5-2 to help Lewis out but I think it left us with a very inexperienced back line at a crucial point in the game. Again, I think any of the players above may have helped with that and got us over the line.

You could have even moved Kelly to left back at the point of the injury and put Lewis or Omeonga in the middle and I think it might have gone better. 

Very tough to take when we were streets ahead of them in terms of quality.

Hopefully we can get a win in the next game to bounce back and get the relegation question officially settled (although I think we're already there in all honesty).

JET will probably go for his money move to China but I would definitely be asking the question. With a full Martindale preseason behind him, I think he would be an excellent signing.

Yeah with hindsight Montano at LWB and Lewis into the middle would've made more sense. If Lewis wasn't getting outjumped by Mugabi, he was getting outpaced by Shields. I don't think he was helped by Obileye, who's inexperience and decision-making on when to cover showed. If Fitzwater does stay I suspect a Fitzwater-Boyes may be used

In terms of next year, I'd like to keep Sibbald & McMillan - two squad players who have shown quality in the past. Between them they cover every position excluding GK and CF.  I suspect Kelly may get an extra year as LB/CM cover, with Longridge and Parkes away

With Forrest (and Bailey) away I suspect we need another winger. I'd like to see Montano - Anderson - Nouble up top at some time, however there's not many goals in there. Martindale has a decision to make about Poplatnik and Reilly, both of whom could be seen as back-ups to Anderson if Soto doesn't return, and I suspect Montano is seen as a rotation option to Nouble. 

Reilly is pish, but would like to see Poplatnik back, plays similar to Robbo, and is good at hold up play as well as giving us the odd goal. Kabia will hopefully get a chance on the left of a front 3 regardless of Forrest going or staying, another player i reckon that will score goals for us. We still need a back up player to Anderson though, Kabia, Nouble, Poplatnik and Forrest are all good on the wings and between them give us good cover for both sides, Anderson is the only player we've who is best playing in the centre, unless Hamilton can come back and do a job up front next season.    

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

On 13/04/2022 at 00:11, Cptn Hooch said:
On 13/04/2022 at 00:05, Hayshead2 said:
How has Nouble settled in with you guys. What a great job he did for us at Arbroath. Although I was never sure how he would do when stepping up to the Premier.

Hasn't scored yet but has been brilliant. Had to be a bit clever as the refs are punishing him for being big but also letting 2 guys hang off him without giving a foul. Exciting to watch and seems well liked by the management, players and fans

Good to here that he is doing well. He is a great guy off the park as well, he done lots of great stuff with the kids in  Arbroath. 🇱🇻 ....... Good luck Livi for the rest of the season......

Couldn't help wondering if Nouble on one wing and JET on the other would be an effective option. Bother have been particularly difficult to defend again but also both can perform well in defence from set pieces.

Probably pie in the sky stuff; JET will likely be off the the far East again

Couldn't help wondering if Nouble on one wing and JET on the other would be an effective option. Bother have been particularly difficult to defend again but also both can perform well in defence from set pieces.
Probably pie in the sky stuff; JET will likely be off the the far East again
Jet and Nouble on either wing would be peak cinch banter. We'd also have guys like Montano and Kabia to inject some pace if required.

A great deal of thought goes into each player signing and it has to be just the right player at just the right time. When JET was signed, his wage demands will've been low as he'd been on the scrapheap for over a year following a brief, low profile spell in the Thai league. A centre forward was specifically being sought by Gary Holt at the time and especially a target man type to replace the departed Lyndon Dykes. It then took the failure of the Stokes signing before JET was turned to.

Steven Lawless wasn't signed again earlier this season despite being a great signing in 2018. This time there was already Bailey and Forrest in the squad. I think JET's similarity to Nouble will count against him, his wage demands have probably increased now and he's also two years older. It's unlikely Martindale will want him.

Edit: I'm not sure Martindale actually rated JET all that highly. It was only once Robinson was frozen out that JET became a starter. Also counting against JET is that to see a good return on him, you have to make him the "main man" in your attack and tactically indulge him.  He was useless at Aberdeen in a rotation/subsitute squad role where he was expected to bend to the pre-existing team strategy rather than it bend to him. Well he can't have the Livi attack formed around him this time when Anderson and Nouble are now here and are better players than him.

Edited by FreedomFarter

34 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

A great deal of thought goes into each player signing and it has to be just the right player at just the right time. When JET was signed, his wage demands will've been low as he'd been on the scrapheap for over a year following a brief, low profile spell in the Thai league. A centre forward was specifically being sought by Gary Holt at the time and especially a target man type to replace the departed Lyndon Dykes. It then took the failure of the Stokes signing before JET was turned to.

Steven Lawless wasn't signed again earlier this season despite being a great signing in 2018. This time there was already Bailey and Forrest in the squad. I think JET's similarity to Nouble will count against him, his wage demands have probably increased now and he's also two years older. It's unlikely Martindale will want him.

Pretty much how I see it. I'd be happy to take him if we weren't paying a lot seeing as he'd probably start most games on the bench, but I imagine for the amount he'd be asking for we could get a good loan from down south or a decent permanent signing.

I think the main issue with JET is getting and keeping him fit, agree he'd have to start most games for that to happen, giving him the motivation to keep his body in shape, you can see a huge difference in how lean Nouble is compared to JET, both tall physical players. Also agree Nouble is the better player, but JET is a far better finisher, both of them bring different qualities. 

Would be a decent short term deal if we could've got him just for the last 5 games, with Anderson being out, not sure how it would work if he was signed for next season though, suppose with a good pre season under his belt he'd be in decent shape, but no way we'd be increasing our usual wage for him if he was wanting similar to what Aberdeen paid him. He's running out of time for how long he can play too, and will want to be somewhere he can make a few quid before his playing days are over, but then again he's just been dumped from Aberdeen after not getting any games under Goodwin, so isn't exactly in a good position to be demanding big bucks. Martindale could prob tempt him with a similar deal as the last time, agreeing to get him in the shop window again and allowing him to leave if a better offer came his way.

I suppose it would come down to what is on his horizon for next season, if he's got any chance in the Asian market, or if that ship has sailed.

I think people are underestimating the quality of a fully fit JET, I genuinely believe he was the best non-OF player in the league for the 6 weeks we had him fully fit.

Tbf I agree that it's moot anyway, we can't afford him, he'll be off to China

44 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I think people are underestimating the quality of a fully fit JET, I genuinely believe he was the best non-OF player in the league for the 6 weeks we had him fully fit.

I loved JET last season. Not only was he effective but also so much fun to watch. Him and Nouble with Anderson in our attack next season is a mouth-watering thought. In my earlier post there, I was less giving my personal preference and more speculating on how Martindale might view things.

1 hour ago, thruthenight said:

That was his issue at Aberdeen. He sat on the bench, unfit and put on a shedload of weight. The second half of last season, when Martindale got him fit, JET was our standout player. Now, he's an overweight passenger. 

Unless we get him cheap and he's willing to get back in shape, I would pass on the enigma that is JET