Livingston - all the threads merged

22 hours ago, spiggle said:

I love the pace and direct running of Bailey.

My assessment is less how you describe but instead that he's a more elaborate player. He has a fantastic touch and is so nimble on the ball. He excels when involved in quick combinations in the attacking third. He has less of the killer instinct and direct thrust that Forrest has but he always keeps attacking moves flowing smoothly. He helps to grease our build up and a bit like with Omeonga, we always look more fluid in possession when he is playing.

His goals in the games away to St Johnstone and County were crucial as those wins proved an early season turning point for us. I hope he can become a Ciaron Brown and return on loan again beyond this season.

3 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

My assessment is less how you describe but instead that he's a more elaborate player. He has a fantastic touch and is so nimble on the ball. He excels when involved in quick combinations in the attacking third. He has less of the killer instinct and direct thrust that Forrest has but he always keeps attacking moves flowing smoothly. He helps to grease our build up and a bit like with Omeonga, we always look more fluid in possession when he is playing.

His goals in the games away to St Johnstone and County were crucial as those wins proved an early season turning point for us. I hope he can become a Ciaron Brown and return on loan again beyond this season.

I think we'd really benefit from any of the on loan players returning, even Chucky, 2nd season they'd be joining knowing exactly what they had to do, and how we played, and would hit the ground running. Its been tough for the Jan on loan signings, even Nouble took a few games getting up to speed, albeit Martindale playing him in the wrong position didn't help. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I think we'd really benefit from any of the on loan players returning, even Chucky, 2nd season they'd be joining knowing exactly what they had to do, and how we played, and would hit the ground running. Its been tough for the Jan on loan signings, even Nouble took a few games getting up to speed, albeit Martindale playing him in the wrong position didn't help. 

I'd be inclined to agree mostly. Wouldn't mind seeing Soto again as an alternative to Anderson. If Forrest was to leave, Bailey would be a great option to replace him although he's apparently got a few clubs down south interested so can't see that happening. Chuk is one I could take or leave as he hasn't really shown much in games although he's apparently very impressive in training which makes his inability to show that in games even more frustrating. Ciaron Brown is out of favour at Cardiff again....wonder if we could persuade him to come back to Almondvale

1 hour ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'd be inclined to agree mostly. Wouldn't mind seeing Soto again as an alternative to Anderson. If Forrest was to leave, Bailey would be a great option to replace him although he's apparently got a few clubs down south interested so can't see that happening. Chuk is one I could take or leave as he hasn't really shown much in games although he's apparently very impressive in training which makes his inability to show that in games even more frustrating. Ciaron Brown is out of favour at Cardiff again....wonder if we could persuade him to come back to Almondvale

Isn't Brown on loan at a League 1 or 2 team?

32 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Isn't Brown on loan at a League 1 or 2 team?

Yeah Oxford United. However, under McCarthy he was in the first team at Cardiff but appears to have fallen out of favour under the current manager. Perhaps we could try get him back next year to bring him on again.

5 hours ago, low-life said:

Any word on how long Anderson is out for? Will he miss the rest of the season or any chance hes back for post split games?

Cheers

Martindale suggested last week he might be back for the post split games. Seemed pretty positive but I also think he's not looking to rush him back too quick.

11 minutes ago, DavideFernandezLoveChild said:

Forrest linked with Hearts now. At least you can accept him moving upward rather than sideways like the Saints move would have been. I don't see him staying unless we get top 6 and even then it would be unlikely

Genuinely don't think he's anywhere near good enough. Good for him if he gets that move though. 

His level is bottom 6, other than the good spell in winter with us he's done very little other than a few 2-3 week spells here and there.

Forrest has been a great player for Livi for about 8 month over the past two years, the rest of the time - meh

He's got the worst case of tunnel vision I've seen in a while in a Livi shirt. When it's good (Hibs away, Ross County away) it makes him the decisive finisher he can be.

When it's bad it sees him take shots from any angle with teammates waiting. Unless that can be coached out of him I can't see him moving to play consistently at a traditional top 6 club

David Martindale for the love of god please learn how to see out a game. Can moan about referees all day long but we shouldn't be throwing away a 2 goal lead at home in a game as important as that, bottle almost non-existent. 

1 hour ago, LiviLion said:

David Martindale for the love of god please learn how to see out a game. Can moan about referees all day long but we shouldn't be throwing away a 2 goal lead at home in a game as important as that, bottle almost non-existent. 

What d'you think he got wrong?

For me, I'd have gone 5-3-2 soon after going 2-0 ahead. Forrest and Nouble as forwards and Bailey off for Boyes. What did happen was we went 5-4-1 (diamond midfield with Shinnie at apex) once it went to 2-1. Shinnie coming on makes sense as he wins free kicks so well but I'd have had him come on in the midfield 3 and I'd have put Forrest up with Nouble just to chase clearances and dribble into wide areas.

Regards bottle, no, there's no shortage of courage. There has been a small reduction in both self-belief and ruthlessness this season, though. Bartley retired a summer too early. Holt is great as midfield anchor but he is even better when used as a pressing centre mid as he was today. That's why Martindale has turned to Sean Kelly as an attempt to fashion a holding defensive mid out of him. Kelly isn't the solution, though, and how we could've done with Bartley today as with many other times this season.

Trying so hard not to be bitter here.But 15mins to go and 2 0 up.That collapse was so worrying.Disgracefull that we threw that opportunity away.Well done Motherwell for going right to end,and got their reward.But end off the day,Martindale has to be held accountable for not seeing this out. We had justifiable claims last week but not today.Hes made a catastrophic decision when we were in the accendany which ultimately cost us.Mediocrity now till the end of the season. Opportunity gone.😢.

29 minutes ago, Troy.1995 said:

Trying so hard not to be bitter here.But 15mins to go and 2 0 up.That collapse was so worrying.Disgracefull that we threw that opportunity away.Well done Motherwell for going right to end,and got their reward.But end off the day,Martindale has to be held accountable for not seeing this out. We had justifiable claims last week but not today.Hes made a catastrophic decision when we were in the accendany which ultimately cost us.Mediocrity now till the end of the season. Opportunity gone.😢.

Have to be a knob and correct a detail here, it was 2-1 before Martindale made either any substitutions or tactical changes (save for the injury-enforced Lewis for Penrice first half sub).

I thought Livvy were excellent today - by far the better side and what happened there was daylight robbery.

I have never been a fan of sitting deep with extra central defenders trying to see out games. You invite trouble and you concede cheap territory. Until Livvy brought on Boyes Motherwell failed to apply any concerted pressure. Taking off Forrest was a big error - lost his ability to run off Nouble. Best form of defence is attack and sitting deep is a sure fire way of asking for big trouble.

1 hour ago, FreedomFarter said:

Have to be a knob and correct a detail here, it was 2-1 before Martindale made either any substitutions or tactical changes (save for the injury-enforced Lewis for Penrice first half sub).

Stand corrected FF.All said and done, that was a game there for the taking.And we blew it.As Well fans have said,daylight robbery.But il hark back to the Aberdeen game earlier in the season.We just don't learn.And its cost us big style again.

16 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I thought Livvy were excellent today - by far the better side and what happened there was daylight robbery.

I have never been a fan of sitting deep with extra central defenders trying to see out games. You invite trouble and you concede cheap territory. Until Livvy brought on Boyes Motherwell failed to apply any concerted pressure. Taking off Forrest was a big error - lost his ability to run off Nouble. Best form of defence is attack and sitting deep is a sure fire way of asking for big trouble.

We had just conceded a goal and the balance was starting to tip in Motherwell's favour, though, when he brought on Boyes. It was also likely done because Motherwell had been getting joy from long through passes for their right winger Shields and our left back Lewis was really struggling to cope with him. It was from a Shields break and cross that van Veen hit the post from. Boyes is fast and could help out Lewis in dealing with Shields, which he did. Motherwell had also put Mugabi up to centre forward by this point.

I do agree, though, that keeping on the front foot is often the most effective way to protect a lead and that could've been done better today. I thought subbing Forrest off was a real shiter too.

Edited by FreedomFarter

Manuel Mejuto Gonzalez in 2007. Harry Kane/Craig Gordon in 2017. Add to those Ricki Lamie in 2022, for the instances in football that have left me physically nauseous.

I can only hope that the critic(s) who got Martindale so het up that he appeared to "offer them ootside" at the final whistle are either embarrassed by their criticism or actually take Martindale up on his offer. I also hope that we skoosh enough of the remaining fixtures to see us safely away from 11th. 

Absolutely heartbroken this morning, but wishing that some of the roasters in our support had just a tad more perspective. 

Edited by mozam76