Livingston - all the threads merged

8 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

image.thumb.png.4913952e73b79389da23c460acab7594.png

Absolutely huge run of games coming up, we're potentially 7 points from Europe and 8 away from automatic relegation. Game against St Johnstone is massive

Huge is right, every one of those games are winnable, but certainly the games against St Johnstone, Ross County and Dundee could go a long way to ensuring we remain in the top flight and Davie's guarantee of no relegation bearing fruit. 

32 minutes ago, Lothiangamer said:

Huge is right, every one of those games are winnable, but certainly the games against St Johnstone, Ross County and Dundee could go a long way to ensuring we remain in the top flight and Davie's guarantee of no relegation bearing fruit. 

We're looking at needing probably another 5 wins to stay up. 100% doable in that run of games alone

Jacobs could still do a job as back up to Holt, you'd have thought. As for Sibbald, I'm a huge fan. He's the best passer in the squad, he so rarely gives the ball away, his defensive work is solid and he offers a goal threat.

38 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Jacobs should 100% be staying in the same way Hibs have kept on David Gray, Lewis Stevenson etc. 

Indeed and not just for sentimentality. Successful teams always have a "backbone" of long-serving players in their squad. Pittman and Jacobs are well established as "backbone" members to the Livi squad. Devlin has recently joined them. Sibbald and McMillan are on the cusp of it if they now commit long term. Then I have hopes Penrice can grow into it before long too.

Edited by FreedomFarter

With you guys signing 2 more strikers and with Bruce Anderson already there, do you think there’s any chance Nouble could be sold?

I’m not sure if only being able to play for 2 clubs per season still applies I know it was increased to 3 clubs at the height of Covid last year.

He is exactly what we need at Firhill.

3 minutes ago, Vinnyjag said:

With you guys signing 2 more strikers and with Bruce Anderson already there, do you think there’s any chance Nouble could be sold?

I’m not sure if only being able to play for 2 clubs per season still applies I know it was increased to 3 clubs at the height of Covid last year.

No

We've brought in a couple of forwards on loan but they appear to be different options to Nouble. Pretty confident Nouble will be at Livi for the rest of the season

Accies have signed Steven Lawson, good signing?

We've signed a fair few players from you over the years and I can't think of many failures. Two of the better players I've seen for Accies over the years in Andreu and Odoffin were both pick ups from you.

5 minutes ago, Accies1 said:

If you remember Ramires, the Brazilian who used to play for Chelsea, that's Lawson's best position. So I suppose a "box to box" midfielder but balanced more to the defensive side and where his running is his main asset. Lawson's passing is limited but fine. He dribbles very well. Occasional goal threat from long shots. Defensively good. Can also play full back.

Given his running is so important to his effectiveness, his fitness level might be key to how well he can do for you.

Delighted wee Stevie Fae Togo has another club. Genuinely nice guy and will knock his pan in for the team. I'd disagree with the previous post saying his best position was defensive mid and say he looked best at full back for us. Capable of playing either side and comfortable in bringing the ball forward. His delivery from dead ball is brilliant but you already have Josh Mullen for that. Reckon he'll do well in the championship.

14 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'd disagree with the previous post saying his best position was defensive mid and say he looked best at full back for us

I think this is correct. I should've put that I was describing how he was most often used at Livi rather than how he's best used. He was always an attacking right back in his career prior to Livi. 

We've probably signed him to play right-back. Part of this is clouded by not having a functioning right-back for a lot of the season, but Taylor seems to want them to be quite involved in buildup (probably too much imo, esp considering our LBs) although sometimes one of the more advanced midfielders will drop in there and ask the FB to push really high.

Hamilton has also been getting ripped by any winger with a bit of flair so an adequate 1 v 1 defender would be nice.

With Smith or Ryan likely playing on the right, we'll need Lawson to at the very least maintain a bit of width on that side as Ryan will want to drift inside and Smith will need some help on the overlap. So it would help if he can offer a threat from crossing?

So lads, will he fit in? We really need him to.

Lawson was one of my favourite players at Livi and I was disappointed to see him go, with the right setup he'll tear up the Championship.

Agree with some bits said, but I think his passing was very underrated. Very strong going forwards, but a little powderpuff in the tackle. Definitely has the kit to play a very attacking fullback with decent defensive positioning.

1 hour ago, Accies1 said:

We've signed a fair few players from you over the years and I can't think of many failures. Two of the better players I've seen for Accies over the years in Andreu and Odoffin were both pick ups from you.

Yes, good player and versatile - can play in centre-mid or right-back. Good crosser, good dribbler. You may remember him scoring his one and only goal for us against Accies in a 3-3 draw.

Surprised he was without a club for so long.

28 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

We've probably signed him to play right-back. Part of this is clouded by not having a functioning right-back for a lot of the season, but Taylor seems to want them to be quite involved in buildup (probably too much imo, esp considering our LBs) although sometimes one of the more advanced midfielders will drop in there and ask the FB to push really high.

Hamilton has also been getting ripped by any winger with a bit of flair so an adequate 1 v 1 defender would be nice.

With Smith or Ryan likely playing on the right, we'll need Lawson to at the very least maintain a bit of width on that side as Ryan will want to drift inside and Smith will need some help on the overlap. So it would help if he can offer a threat from crossing?

So lads, will he fit in? We really need him to.

He's also good on the piano.

Should do a decent job for you, esp playing a level below where he was with us, doubt any Livi fan wouldn't have wanted him to stay on at Livi, which tells you enough.

8 minutes ago, thruthenight said:

I think his passing was very underrated

Aye, my initial comment was a bit shite. Got his position wrong and describing his passing as limited is harsh too. Lawson never became a proper regular for us. He was in and out the team and moved positions. That makes it impossible for a player to fully show what they can do. Of the current squad, McMillan is penalised by this, which makes his strong performances this season all the more impressive.

Back to Lawson, similar to Odoffin in that he was definitely good enough for Livi but competition for places ultimately squeezed him out. Should do well for Hamilton.

1 hour ago, Vinnyjag said:

Would imagine every Championship club would say he is exactly what they need too, if by all accounts he was the Championship's best player when at Arbroath in the first half of the season.

Can see why Arbroath fans are exasperated at us not having him in our team right from the start, after recalling him, they'd have loved to have kept him the full season, but he's coming into a somewhat settled team now, playing a level above where he was, Martindale will bring him in gradually, allowing him time coming on as a sub to get up to speed with the Premiership, and how we're wanting him to play, if he's as good as everyone says it wont be long till he's getting starts. Def not going anywhere else this season though. He has big expectations on his shoulders after a great loan spell with Arbroath, but Martindale wont be wanting to put pressure on him to deliver..