Livingston - all the threads merged

I wonder if the youth academy being set up has meant that we can move on players who would otherwise sit in the stands.

Very strange signing at the time when Reilly had been loaned out for game time. I think there's a player there but he had nowhere near enough game time to show it.

21 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

And there's Panayiotou away as well

I'm a little disappointed by this one. Was hoping to see him get a chance to link up with his ex team mate, big Nouble. We've also really reduced our striking options, but considering we play midfielders up front is it that much of an issue?

2 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I'm a little disappointed by this one. Was hoping to see him get a chance to link up with his ex team mate, big Nouble. We've also really reduced our striking options, but considering we play midfielders up front is it that much of an issue?

As you say with midfielders up front there's no real problem in quantity. Quality is another issue.

Would imagine the pecking order for up front looks a bit like: Anderson, Nouble, Forrest, Shinnie, Hamilton.

41 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

As you say with midfielders up front there's no real problem in quantity. Quality is another issue.

Would imagine the pecking order for up front looks a bit like: Anderson, Nouble, Forrest, Shinnie, Hamilton.

That's how it should be yep, but with Martindale it's more likely to be Shinnie, Forrest, Nouble, Anderson, Hamilton. No real shock we've not scored more than one goal in any of our last 10 games, but scored 6 in two games when Anderson was up front in a 4-2-3-1, and Bailey linked up well with him. Montano was a decent target man in those games too.

Shinnie isn't going to get us the goals we need, but Martindale keeps playing him in the centre of a 3, or a lone striker. Think we need to play him behind Anderson in midfield, whether that in a 4-2-3-1, or a 4-3-3. With the latter i don't think Shinnie should be in the front 3 either, as he'll get put in the centre instead of Anderson, get Nouble and Forrest in there with Anderson centre, and Shinnie behind them in midfield. Although i don't think that balances that formation out either, because we've better suited midfielders for that formation too, guys that will battle for possesion and break up opposition attacks to feed our front three. Basically Shinnie is surplus to our requirements, good player with great technical ability, but just doesn't fit in to give us balance and get the best out of our attack.

1 hour ago, AJF said:

Bit of a shame that it never worked out for either party, an excellent opportunity for Williamson just seems to have passed him by.

Performed well as a defensive right mid in the win over Celtic. Was poor any time he played centre mid as he showed little tactical understanding and insisted on running about everywhere like a headless chicken.

2 hours ago, AJF said:

Bit of a shame that it never worked out for either party, an excellent opportunity for Williamson just seems to have passed him by.

He's just not up to this level yet, seems to want to base him game off of being a bit of a hard man and putting in heavy tackles. It just came off as shite for us, which is surprising as we have plenty of players who do similar. Will only really be remembered by Livi fans for getting sent off against Dundee Utd for a shocking tackle. 

Hopefully with the 'outs' coming in quickly we can see a nice early signing. Panayiotou is no big loss, if he was up to the standard then Martindale would be playing him. If he doesn't want to work his way into the team that's his issue and he's free to go do that at another club now. Williamson is about 8th or 9th choice at CM, Omeonga coming in just brushed him to the side, the gulf in quality is huge. 

I imagine we'll sort the GK situation soon, and then we get to see how Martindale can turn the season about.

I'm surprised everyone is defaulting to thinking we're playing Nouble up front. Unless we move to 2 up front in a new formation, I have a feeling I know what Martindale will do :D 

Remember that wide target man role he used Montano in? That's where he's sticking Nouble, out on the left wing to bring down long balls and hopefully beat a few guys for, hopefully Anderson, but likely Shinnie to finish.

Part of me really wants the 352 back but that'd require us signing at least 1 CB. I'm not sure I fancy Parkes in a back 3 with Obileye and Fitzwater unless he can play the Lithgow 'keep it simple' role. We'd have Penrice for LWB, Devlin natural at RWB. We have a squad almost ready built for it, we just need a signing or two to amplify it 

Edited by ATLIS

Confirmed now that we've scrapped our warm weather training camp in Spain. I'm okay with that given the way cases have been going and the risk it could put the club at.

Gogic been told by Hibs he can leave, we've got a lot of midfielders but with Holt's future currently in the air I wouldn't be surprised to see us asking the question. Fits the profile of the deep midfielder that we tend to use

3 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I'm surprised everyone is defaulting to thinking we're playing Nouble up front. Unless we move to 2 up front in a new formation, I have a feeling I know what Martindale will do :D 

Remember that wide target man role he used Montano in? That's where he's sticking Nouble, out on the left wing to bring down long balls and hopefully beat a few guys for, hopefully Anderson, but likely Shinnie to finish.

Part of me really wants the 352 back but that'd require us signing at least 1 CB. I'm not sure I fancy Parkes in a back 3 with Obileye and Fitzwater unless he can play the Lithgow 'keep it simple' role. We'd have Penrice for LWB, Devlin natural at RWB. We have a squad almost ready built for it, we just need a signing or two to amplify it 

Hoping it'll be Nouble-Anderson-Forrest in a front 3, with Nouble and Forrest interchanging wings. That's why i don't think we need Shinnie starting games, there'll be no place for him, other than a 2nd half sub appearance or covering injuries.

3 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

With Nouble returning, I don't think Shinnie will feature as regularly up top unless we have injury problems. 

Nouble, Anderson, Shinnie, Hamilton in order of preference for Martindale, imo.

Think DM has spoke about how much he rates Forrest as a centre forward, wouldn't be surprised to see him move there for the last 20 mins of games.

1630698353_Screenshot2022-01-01at22_49_25.thumb.png.d8fd66c42cda877ce2e62cf16b11d870.png

I think we have pretty good balance now. 

It's been said already but a goalkeeper our only area in urgent need of improvement (if Barden is not in a position to return). A Josh Mullin type (or him) with right-foot deliveries would be a good addition. Possibly right-back/centre-mid cover if Jacobs and Lewis are not available in the near future. 

Hopefully Martindale is already looking at summer additions in the wings given Forrest and Bailey are not signed up yet. A Forrest extension in this window would be very good business.

7 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Yeah, there's every chance you're right. He's played a lot there in his career, he'd fit well.

Wonder what the chances are of us bringing in a centre forward this time window

1 hour ago, EdinburghLivi said:

1630698353_Screenshot2022-01-01at22_49_25.thumb.png.d8fd66c42cda877ce2e62cf16b11d870.png

I think we have pretty good balance now. 

It's been said already but a goalkeeper our only area in urgent need of improvement (if Barden is not in a position to return). A Josh Mullin type (or him) with right-foot deliveries would be a good addition. Possibly right-back/centre-mid cover if Jacobs and Lewis are not available in the near future. 

Hopefully Martindale is already looking at summer additions in the wings given Forrest and Bailey are not signed up yet. A Forrest extension in this window would be very good business.

I'd imagine the CM cover is going to be McMillan, RB cover a decent idea though. I'd probably have Sibbald ahead of Pittman, again though an extension for him and Forrest this window would be incredible. 

1 minute ago, thruthenight said:

Yeah, there's every chance you're right. He's played a lot there in his career, he'd fit well.

Wonder what the chances are of us bringing in a centre forward this time window

From the sounds of it we're looking to bring in a forward/winger. I'd imagine it'll be someone to fit in that RW slot or cover for Forrest if he doesn't sign on and goes to Motherwell or someone :D