Livingston - all the threads merged

Martindale had talked himself out of keeping things the same for the game against Aberdeen.  He needs an experienced coach or assistant in the dugout to run things past.  It's no surprise we're misfiring with a backroom staff full of rookies.  The squad, on paper, is possibly the best squad we've had in a good number of years.

Edited by ol1vercloff

9 hours ago, ol1vercloff said:

Martindale had talked himself out of keeping things the same for the game against Aberdeen.  He needs an experienced coach or assistant in the dugout to run things past.  It's no surprise we're misfiring with a backroom staff full of rookies.  The squad, on paper, is possibly the best squad we've had in a good number of years.

Is it though? We're lacking depth up front and at CB, all the options at LB seem out their depth except maybe Penrice. 

Edited by ATLIS

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

Is it though? We're lacking depth up front and at CB, all the options at LB seem out their depth except maybe Penrice. 

McMillan is decent playing there, Mr utility man can virtually do a good job anywhere, wonder what he'd be like up front. Longridge would be ok in a back 4, and Kelly did well playing there, just don't want to ever see him playing as a CB again though. Penrice is prob our best LB though.

I think Obileye and Fitzwater is still our best option in  back 4 CB wise, but has only himself to blame for being out the team with his silly red card. If we stick Anderson up front then that team against Hearts would be pretty good, and you've still got Bailey who's a good attacking player.

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

McMillan is decent playing there, Mr utility man can virtually do a good job anywhere, wonder what he'd be like up front. Longridge would be ok in a back 4, and Kelly did well playing there, just don't want to ever see him playing as a CB again though. Penrice is prob our best LB though.

I think Obileye and Fitzwater is still our best option in  back 4 CB wise, but has only himself to blame for being out the team with his silly red card. If we stick Anderson up front then that team against Hearts would be pretty good, and you've still got Bailey who's a good attacking player.

In comparison to recent years though, I wouldn't say this squad is stronger than last seasons' or even the season before. Fitzwater has stepped up massively and filled the gap left by Guthrie but the quality at CB isn't as good as Halkett/Gallagher/Guthrie that we've had in recent years. Even pre-injury Lithgow in a back 3 was solid.

Serrano would arguably be a starter in this team at LB too, he's better than what we've got. Up front the obvious one is Dykes but even Hardie going back albeit not so much in the Premiership. Up front has historically been somewhere we've struggled. 

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

In comparison to recent years though, I wouldn't say this squad is stronger than last seasons' or even the season before. Fitzwater has stepped up massively and filled the gap left by Guthrie but the quality at CB isn't as good as Halkett/Gallagher/Guthrie that we've had in recent years. Even pre-injury Lithgow in a back 3 was solid.

Serrano would arguably be a starter in this team at LB too, he's better than what we've got. Up front the obvious one is Dykes but even Hardie going back albeit not so much in the Premiership. Up front has historically been somewhere we've struggled. 

Yeah we're lacking goals from a CB this season, Halkett and Guthrie fired in a decent amount from set pieces but we're hopeless from that area this season. We lost our long throw goal threat a couple of seasons back too. Was hoping Obileye would get us goals, he scored plenty in the Championship, but hasn't looked like scoring many for us at all.

The Hearts game was lost by Martindale, and 2 central defenders that wander out of position,too slow to read danger,don't close down quick enough, leave gaps. Fizzywater is not a bad player ,he's  not commanding, strong or sturdy enough to be  a centre back. As for Martindale he's the biggest culprit, takes the best 3 midfielder off within a ten minute period and replaces them with 3 forwards, all of a sudden the good play from the first half was out the window

Mc Milan looks very good in midfield, Sibbald excellent, Omeonga,Penrice,Forrest,Holt all excellent

I would keep Mc Millan in the midfield, If Fizzywater is in the team move him to defensive Midfield and move Holt further forward

Shinnie will not do upfront,his work rates terrible, to slow.easily knocked of the ball,even in midfield he disappears.

Hibs, Dundee U, Ross C, Motherwell, ST Johnstone and Dundee  4 home  2 away If Martindale doesn't take a decent  amount of points here ,there should be no debate,no way back he should be out the door

14 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Maybe lacking a bit of quality alternatives when injury strikes, but in terms of a solid starting 11 I'd say it's the best in a while.  A few years ago, we'd be crying ourselves to sleep every night dreaming of having players like Shinnie, Omeonga, Devlin and Sibbald in our team.

15 hours ago, ATLIS said:

Is it though? We're lacking depth up front and at CB, all the options at LB seem out their depth except maybe Penrice

Actually despite his shaky start I thought Kelly had good games against Dundee United and Celtic. He was actually excellent against United and we would have won that game if it wasn't for Williamson acting like a dick.

Not even been in the squad since then so assume he's injured/ill?

The invisible man (Lewis) is also meant to be able to play there,

Either would be preferable to Longridge with the red mist which seems to be getting a regular occurrence now.

Makes you wonder if Martindale is losing faith in his own recruitment skills, which I believed were brilliant.  Panayiotou is only just being included on the bench recently after being the subbed sub in the League Cup earlier in the season.  Sean Kelly seemed to have a decent few games then was dropped.  I'm not convinced by Ben Williamson, he's not good or experienced enough for the top flight, but he seems to have been dropped as well.  Not sure if there's stuff happening behind the scenes that the fans aren't aware of, but the regular chopping and changing in the team makes me think Martindale has realised some of his signings aren't as good as he thought and pumps them out of the team.

1 hour ago, Afro said:

Being linked with a loan move for Jamie Walker in the EEN, this morning. 

Do we need any more wide players? No, for me. 

Walker's not really a wide player, these days. Whether he's what you need, though, I couldn't say - he's been the invisible man at Tynecastle for a while now.

1 hour ago, ol1vercloff said:

Makes you wonder if Martindale is losing faith in his own recruitment skills, which I believed were brilliant.  Panayiotou is only just being included on the bench recently after being the subbed sub in the League Cup earlier in the season.  Sean Kelly seemed to have a decent few games then was dropped.  I'm not convinced by Ben Williamson, he's not good or experienced enough for the top flight, but he seems to have been dropped as well.  Not sure if there's stuff happening behind the scenes that the fans aren't aware of, but the regular chopping and changing in the team makes me think Martindale has realised some of his signings aren't as good as he thought and pumps them out of the team.

I think i've read Kelly was injured, agree with you on Williamson, not been impressed at all with him, seems a loose cannon with his tackling too.

Think on paper Williamson was a good signing with a lot of potential, came with great reviews from Arbroath. Not sure why it’s not worked out, whether he’s just not good enough for this level yet, or the inconsistent game time has lead to him struggling 

I think a player of Jamie Walker's calibre and pedigree, seeking a shot at redemption/a second chance to rescue his career after failing to fulfill early potential is what we used to be all about.  Taking guys that have had their share of career knocks, polishing them up and pumping a long ball to them 👍

39 minutes ago, ol1vercloff said:

I think a player of Jamie Walker's calibre and pedigree, seeking a shot at redemption/a second chance to rescue his career after failing to fulfill early potential is what we used to be all about.  Taking guys that have had their share of career knocks, polishing them up and pumping a long ball to them 👍

Scott Robinson esque would do.

Think on paper Williamson was a good signing with a lot of potential, came with great reviews from Arbroath. Not sure why it’s not worked out, whether he’s just not good enough for this level yet, or the inconsistent game time has lead to him struggling 
He stoats around the pitch like an angry wee ned, kicking people. Reminds me of Barry Ferguson except we haven't seen the ability.

7 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
7 hours ago, Afro said:
Being linked with a loan move for Jamie Walker in the EEN, this morning. 

Do we need any more wide players? No, for me. 

Wonder if Bailey might get recalled

Birmingham City will not be recalling midfielder Odin Bailey from his loan spell with Livingston, Lee Bowyer has confirmed. (Lee Bowyer reveals Birmingham City's stance on Odin Bailey's January transfer fate - The 72)

If Walker is better than what we have then I'm all for it, could be part of lining up a permanent deal if Forrest goes by the end of his contract.