Livingston - all the threads merged

2 minutes ago, LiviLion said:

If we recalled him I'd fully expect Jack Hamilton to head back up there. 

Would surely depend on how Hammy has done up to January. Shinnie showed yesterday you don't have to run around daft like a headless chicken for 90 mins to be effective, just time your bursting runs, chasing down the odd ball, making your presence known, and using the head, knowing how to bring the ball into yourself and either winning fouls of bringing in other players. Being that bit sharper to get a shot off helps too. We all know Hammy can score goals, but he needs to get the shot off quickly as he wont have much time against top flight defenders. 

There's def room for Nouble to play in our team, other than being a No 9, he offers a lot more than that from what i've seen.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Would surely depend on how Hammy has done up to January. Shinnie showed yesterday you don't have to run around daft like a headless chicken for 90 mins to be effective, just time your bursting runs, chasing down the odd ball, making your presence known, and using the head, knowing how to bring the ball into yourself and either winning fouls of bringing in other players. Being that bit sharper to get a shot off helps too. We all know Hammy can score goals, but he needs to get the shot off quickly as he wont have much time against top flight defenders. 

There's def room for Nouble to play in our team, other than being a No 9, he offers a lot more than that from what i've seen.

That's the thing though, Shinnie did run about daft. He was consistently running and pressuring, cutting passing lines. All the things Hamilton doesn't do. I don't think Shinnie stood still at all yesterday. 

1 hour ago, ATLIS said:

That's the thing though, Shinnie did run about daft. He was consistently running and pressuring, cutting passing lines. All the things Hamilton doesn't do. I don't think Shinnie stood still at all yesterday. 

Yeah but not like a maddy, he chose when to make darting runs and when to just jog about cutting off a pass etc, his movement off the ball was good without having to race about too much. Hammy could learn a lot from that, as he isn't the most quick and mobile Livi player either.

On 19/09/2021 at 22:14, Cptn Hooch said:
On 19/09/2021 at 22:13, Lichtie78 said:

Saw this earlier...the guy looks like an absolute machine

There's no doubt the boy is a talent and he takes that header really well, but if I was a QOTS fan I'd be furious with that pathetic excuse for a defence. Not one lazy leg hung out, never mind a tackle. 

Yeah but not like a maddy, he chose when to make darting runs and when to just jog about cutting off a pass etc, his movement off the ball was good without having to race about too much. Hammy could learn a lot from that, as he isn't the most quick and mobile Livi player either.
I noticed that he didn't challenge for every ball...he picked his moments but took up a great position that allowed him to win the second balls...that's something that only comes with experience and hopefully Shinnie can impart some of his knowledge to Hamilton and Anderson

2 hours ago, Cptn Hooch said:
20 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

I noticed that he didn't challenge for every ball...he picked his moments but took up a great position that allowed him to win the second balls...that's something that only comes with experience and hopefully Shinnie can impart some of his knowledge to Hamilton and Anderson

Yeah there's no way Shinnie could run about like Anderson, and last the full game, Anderson can't even do it, that's mostly why he gets subbed off all the time. Doubt he'll start against Sevco, but then again, Martindale loves playing mind games, and may just start him anyway, or playing him as a 10 with Anderson on too.

Last nite...........,1 positive,Omeonga looks like he can do a job for us going forward.

2 negative,why was Lewis hooked a minute before half time?? It came across as very amateur!!

The other.....,that's twice Max has done that this season.....,kicking the ball to an opposing player on the edge of the box,then bang it's in the net.

Cant fault him generally but he needs to cut out the "brain fart" moments.

Dont know why he has them,but he needs to take a breath and concentrate before he rushes into making mistakes......

It's gone now,the League cup for this season but hopefully we learn from last nite.

What gets me is the naivety of the tactical nonce. Great win on Sunday with the shock tactic of playing Shinnie in a makeshift loan striker role but then trying almost exactly the same thing again and thinking that Slippy wouldn't cotton on and instruct his defence to keep him double marked at all times; blunting any eventual threat. No shots at goal the entire game says it all really.

The aim was obviously to try and restrict all attacking movement by the rangers to a minimum whilst hoping for a chance to nick a winner; in some sense maybe you could argue that was working in the first half, however no goal threat at all really says it all.

Dunno i thought first half we were doing fine, a few attacks just didn't quite come off in and around their box, but it wasn't all one sided, we were getting the odd decent attack against them. Also would've been why Martindale was trying to play mind games saying Shinnie wouldn't be playing just 3 days after the Celtic game, as we'd need to look after him in case he got injured again.

Once they scored though we had no plan B, and just kept everything the same, replacing Shinnie with Anderson. Would've been interesting seeing how bringing Anderson on alongside Shinnie would've worked, playing 2 up front. With Alan Forrest, brother of Celtic's James supporting them too. May well have been gubbed 4-0 but would've at least had a go after going behind. 

3 hours ago, Whitburn Vale said:

Last nite...........,1 positive,Omeonga looks like he can do a job for us going forward.

2 negative,why was Lewis hooked a minute before half time?? It came across as very amateur!!

The other.....,that's twice Max has done that this season.....,kicking the ball to an opposing player on the edge of the box,then bang it's in the net.

Cant fault him generally but he needs to cut out the "brain fart" moments.

Dont know why he has them,but he needs to take a breath and concentrate before he rushes into making mistakes......

It's gone now,the League cup for this season but hopefully we learn from last nite.

The timing was maybe a bit strange, but the reason for making it was prob because Patterson was getting too many runs into our box from that side, and McMillan is a better defender, The way he reacted to being subbed may see him finding himself out the side for a few games though, Martindale wont stand for that behaviour, as Robbo found out.

What annoyed me more was the substitutions being like for like positional wise, particularly after they scored, we didn't do anything to make tactical changes in our shape to go for a goal in the 2nd half. Was just like the cup final defeat last season. You knew once we conceded to go behind we were out. Although Max didn't help gifting them their 2nd, that really did it for us. Then he made a really good save not much later. Yeah he really needs to calm it down a bit cutting out the risky passes around his box, when not even under much pressure.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

2 hours ago, Durnford said:

What gets me is the naivety of the tactical nonce. Great win on Sunday with the shock tactic of playing Shinnie in a makeshift loan striker role but then trying almost exactly the same thing again and thinking that Slippy wouldn't cotton on and instruct his defence to keep him double marked at all times; blunting any eventual threat. No shots at goal the entire game says it all really.

The aim was obviously to try and restrict all attacking movement by the rangers to a minimum whilst hoping for a chance to nick a winner; in some sense maybe you could argue that was working in the first half, however no goal threat at all really says it all.

Bit harsh calling Martindale a nonce

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The timing was maybe a bit strange, but the reason for making it was prob because Patterson was getting too many runs into our box from that side, and McMillan is a better defender, The way he reacted to being subbed may see him finding himself out the side for a few games though, Martindale wont stand for that behaviour, as Robbo found out.

Didn't seem that bad a reaction. Understandable he would be annoyed but he didn't storm down the tunnel a la Robinson. 

Agree with much of what has been said. Thought we were looking ok first half but weak down the left hand side due to Montano not tracking. He seemed to drift inside and let Holt and Lewis cover his position. Might have been tactically set up that way, hence why Lewis was hooked rather than Montano.

Also was disappointed at the subs. I would have used this game as an opportunity for some of the players we haven't seen much of this season, a la Montano. I think Hamilton or Panayiotou would have both been better options than Anderson who came on and offered a similar proposition to Shinnie. Believe we could use up to 5 subs so the decision to not use more than 3 was surprising.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

Didn't seem that bad a reaction. Understandable he would be annoyed but he didn't storm down the tunnel a la Robinson. 
Agree with much of what has been said. Thought we were looking ok first half but weak down the left hand side due to Montano not tracking. He seemed to drift inside and let Holt and Lewis cover his position. Might have been tactically set up that way, hence why Lewis was hooked rather than Montano.
Also was disappointed at the subs. I would have used this game as an opportunity for some of the players we haven't seen much of this season, a la Montano. I think Hamilton or Panayiotou would have both been better options than Anderson who came on and offered a similar proposition to Shinnie. Believe we could use up to 5 subs so the decision to not use more than 3 was surprising.
Going by Davie's comments after the game, he saw 2-0 as being game over. Reckon he opted to see it out rather than risk further injury to guys before a a more important game on Saturday

2 hours ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Martindale tried to give him a wee hug on the way past but he shrugged it off and said something, you saw Martindale turning round and giving him a wee look, wasn't as bad a strop as Robbo or Souda, but i think he'll be having a word with him.

2 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Martindale tried to give him a wee hug on the way past but he shrugged it off and said something, you saw Martindale turning round and giving him a wee look, wasn't as bad a strop as Robbo or Souda, but i think he'll be having a word with him.

He's posted a picture on his Instagram saying "We go again 🦁" so I'm guessing he's over it, as should the rest of us be. It's a nothing affair.

Thought Lewis played pretty well, any passing move we had in the first half he was involved in. Montano defensively looked the weak link to me, a yard off the pace leaving penrice with two men, many times in the first half. Think Lewis perhaps took the brunt of montano not covering well enough defensively. Could’ve been because davie was on the far side of the pitch and couldn’t see quite how big a gap montano was leaving down the wing.

1 hour ago, spiggle said:

Davie said in an interview that Lewis turned an ankle in the pre-match warm up and he was hooked because they saw he was limping. Lewis didn't want to come off but Davie didn't want to aggravate it any further. 

Worth noting as well that DM doesn't do the pre-match warm up. It was flagged by Imrie and Bartley but said that it wasn't bad and he was okay but he was visibly limping throughout the game. 

What a boy btw. Roll on January 

Arbroath v Kilmarnock: ‘Nouble… got a bit of flavour’ - meet the striker making big impact - BBC Sport

Also just noticed Halkett is out of contract in the summer and has publicly admitted Hearts have yet to open talks over a new deal with him. Can you imagine we somehow got him back, would be utterly mental :D 

Edited by ATLIS