Livingston - all the threads merged

10 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

You can't make a step up by playing 15 mins at the end of a game and just having long balls lumped up at you though?

He got more than that against Hibs, with Anderson going off ill, i thought the forced sub would be a good thing as Anderson wasn't having much joy, but it made no difference, was next to no goal threat from us that game, and McGregor strolled the game against our strikers. That would back up what you're saying that we need 2 up front right enough, because the system we're playing we need a big physical combative striker like Dykes, or a buzz bomb nuisance like Robbo, and we've neither of those in Anderson and Hamilton. So the striker is playing a support role having to hold up play to bring in the attacking mids. And Hamilton isn't suited to that.

5 minutes ago, spiggle said:

Yeah but it doesn't fit the 2000 left backs we have at the club. 

Something has to change to help Bruce out. He seems to be running about like a headless chicken with no support atm. 

The headless chicken routine has worked for us in the past, but the attacking mids have to get up and win 2nd balls, otherwise the striker is isolated and all his chasing about is going to waste. It could all come together for us but at the moment it looks disjointed and not working.

Something that should be better is our crosses into the box and esp dead balls being put in, those should be worked on in training but look absolutely dreadful this season. You just know when we have a set piece it will be a total wasted ball.

The Hamilton debate is an interesting one for me. 
The boy clearly has an eye for goal, he’s proved it during his loan spells. 

What I would say is he doesn’t occupy defenders enough for me, we built success on getting the ball into the final 3rd and playing our football after that, this was mainly because our long balls forward weren’t comfortably handled by opposition defences, our striker forced errors, forced throw ins, free-kicks etc, are we getting that from Jack? That’s not just on Jack mind you, do we have enough runners from midfield picking up these 2nd balls? Probably not either. 

Jack reminds me a wee bit of Kris Boyd in that Boyd clearly came alive inside the box, Jack’s the same, but out with that sometimes goes missing in games, have we created enough to get the best out of him? Not even close. 

I am desperate for Jack to succeed but I want more from him when we don’t have the ball as well personally. 

1 hour ago, andylivi1 said:

The Hamilton debate is an interesting one for me. 
The boy clearly has an eye for goal, he’s proved it during his loan spells. 

What I would say is he doesn’t occupy defenders enough for me, we built success on getting the ball into the final 3rd and playing our football after that, this was mainly because our long balls forward weren’t comfortably handled by opposition defences, our striker forced errors, forced throw ins, free-kicks etc, are we getting that from Jack? That’s not just on Jack mind you, do we have enough runners from midfield picking up these 2nd balls? Probably not either. 

Jack reminds me a wee bit of Kris Boyd in that Boyd clearly came alive inside the box, Jack’s the same, but out with that sometimes goes missing in games, have we created enough to get the best out of him? Not even close. 

I am desperate for Jack to succeed but I want more from him when we don’t have the ball as well personally. 

Maybe what Hamilton needs to succeed is Nouble playing alongside him. Nouble isn't as clinical a goal scorer as JET was, but looks an ideal pairing for someone who is a goal scorer, big and physical, and like JET, good with the ball at his feet, to take on defenders and create space for a striker. Guess we'll have to wait till January before we get to see how that would work.

Maybe what Hamilton needs to succeed is Nouble playing alongside him. Nouble isn't as clinical a goal scorer as JET was, but looks an ideal pairing for someone who is a goal scorer, big and physical, and like JET, good with the ball at his feet, to take on defenders and create space for a striker. Guess we'll have to wait till January before we get to see how that would work.
But Nouble has only shown his class at a lower level....
Like Hamilton....

Etcs.

It wouldn't surprise me that Nouble stays the whole season at Arbroath and instead we recall Harrison Clark to make it 12 central midfielders at the club.

13 hours ago, LogieLivi said:

But Nouble has only shown his class at a lower level....
Like Hamilton....

Etcs.

It wouldn't surprise me that Nouble stays the whole season at Arbroath and instead we recall Harrison Clark to make it 12 central midfielders at the club.

Aye very good.

By all accounts Nouble has captured the Arbroath fans hearts as a better player than Hamilton, big, strong on the ball, quick, and good with the ball at his feet. I'm giving Hammy the benefit of the doubt that if he had a player doing the work and setting him up, he'd score goals, and Nouble looks like being that player for assists, and the odd goal.

If Martindale leaves Nouble at Arbroath all season i think there will be a complete melt down on the Livi FB page.🤣 Seriously though, i can't wait for Jan, and getting him back, he's something we don't have just now, someone with a big physical presence, and a bit of pace too. Also has the skill to take players on and open up space for other players.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

I can't believe that anyone could think a striker who played well for Arbroath under Dick Campbell could be classed as lazy. If anything, Hamilton has looked totally scunnered at his lack of chances with us. I watched him closely doing his warm up during the second half vs Motherwell and the boy was desperate to get on, but the more often he was getting told "a few more shuttles, five more minutes",  his shoulders slumped more and more.

Lazy or not, he's about as mobile as JET, and just looks like he's half heartedly trying to press defenders bringing the ball out from the back. Doesn't seem to have the fitness levels needed to play like that, and as has been said by LogieLivi (i think), must be preserving his energy for chasing balls he can def win. The way we play we really need our striker to run about a lot off the ball, which just doesn't suit Hamilton's way of playing. Not his fault, but it still affects the team negatively and unless we change how we play he's a bit of a passenger.

5 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-boss-hopeful-craig-sibbald-24983369 

Good summary of the squad availability here. Kabia is the only one not mentioned.

Parkes injured in training, we're having some luck with injuries this season. Going to be in big trouble if Fitzwater or Obileye get injured, absolutely no back up CB jus now. Reckon Parkes being just about ready to come back from injury was why Martindale didn't bother signing a CB when he acknowledged we were needing one, and now he's injured again. Really is an area we've been a man short in, yet we keep signing midfielders and LB's.

Strange really, when we had so many last season and we started playing CB's in midfield and as FB's/WB's. Perhaps we'll get the balance right next season, whatever league we'll be playing in.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Parkes injured in training, we're having some luck with injuries this season. Going to be in big trouble if Fitzwater or Obileye get injured, absolutely no back up CB jus now. Reckon Parkes being just about ready to come back from injury was why Martindale didn't bother signing a CB when he acknowledged we were needing one, and now he's injured again. Really is an area we've been a man short in, yet we keep signing midfielders and LB's.

Strange really, when we had so many last season and we started playing CB's in midfield and as FB's/WB's. Perhaps we'll get the balance right next season, whatever league we'll be playing in.

Wondering if Martindale also has Longridge eyed as a back-up centre back. He played left in a 3 a few times towards the end of last season. 

Would be preferable to Kelly based on what I saw. 

Great result today! I thought for a long time that you're not a poor side and have had some bad luck, e.g. the late goal you conceded against Aberdeen.

I had you to win 1-0 today and cashed out around ~75 mins, as usually Celtic score late, later equalisers or winners in that situation.

Filling your ground like that must swell the coffers. I know that's a contentious issue, but I say take their money, especially as it never seems to hurt your results against them. You're quite lucky because I bet playing Hibs and Hearts will generate you a few quid, too.

Might be over in a couple of weeks. 

2 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

Great result today! I thought for a long time that you're not a poor side and have had some bad luck, e.g. the late goal you conceded against Aberdeen.

I had you to win 1-0 today and cashed out around ~75 mins, as usually Celtic score late, later equalisers or winners in that situation.

Filling your ground like that must swell the coffers. I know that's a contentious issue, but I say take their money, especially as it never seems to hurt your results against them. You're quite lucky because I bet playing Hibs and Hearts will generate you a few quid, too.

Might be over in a couple of weeks. 

No brainer really, seats would be sitting empty if we didn't give the erse cheeks 3/4 of our stadium. Yeah Hearts and Hibs bring good numbers too.