Livingston - all the threads merged

Personally I think we're reasonably well covered at CB at the moment.

The bigger problem seems to be RB; with McMillan injured and the persistent desire to move Devlin into midfield means there's a gap at right back position. Attempts to fill it with Fitzwater have consistently not worked.

Just now, Durnford said:

Personally I think we're reasonably well covered at CB at the moment.

The bigger problem seems to be RB; with McMillan injured and the persistent desire to move Devlin into midfield means there's a gap at right back position. Attempts to fill it with Fitzwater have consistently not worked.

Not by proper CB's we're not. One injured, and Obileye filling in there who went off injured. Could be seeing Kelly and Fitzwater against Hibs, that doesn't fill me with confidence.

5 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Not by proper CB's we're not. One injured, and Obileye filling in there who went off injured. Could be seeing Kelly and Fitzwater against Hibs, that doesn't fill me with confidence.

And "weight-watchers" Parkes.

If Devlin moves up then we have no-one at right back. Whatever format you play that's going to be a problem.

22 minutes ago, Durnford said:

And "weight-watchers" Parkes.

If Devlin moves up then we have no-one at right back. Whatever format you play that's going to be a problem.

Yeah Parkes is the one i was referring to as injured, meant to be back training but not sure he'll make the Hibs game. Basically all we have is Parkes and Fitzwater as CB, Kelly and Obileye as makeshift ones, not really ideal.

Keags can always play RB if needed, i'd have more confidence of him playing there than Kelly at CB. So can Fitzwater, but only if Devlin gets injured, and we stop putting him there during a game when Devlin gets moved to midfield. Be as well going all in and sticking on one of our keepers up front the last 30 mins, and having a big target man. Makes as much sense as moving FB's into midfield and CB's to FB's when you don't have to.

Actually i wouldn't put anything past Martindale, remember he did that with Odoffin.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah Parkes is the one i was referring to as injured, meant to be back training but not sure he'll make the Hibs game. Basically all we have is Parkes and Fitzwater as CB, Kelly and Obileye as makeshift ones, not really ideal.

Keags can always play RB if needed, i'd have more confidence of him playing there than Kelly at CB. So can Fitzwater, but only if Devlin gets injured, and we stop putting him there during a game when Devlin gets moved to midfield. Be as well going all in and sticking on one of our keepers up front the last 30 mins, and having a big target man. Makes as much sense as moving FB's into midfield and CB's to FB's when you don't have to.

Actually i wouldn't put anything past Martindale, remember he did that with Odoffin.

I think the evidence of the last handful of games is that Fitzwater cant play at right back. Agreed; he's been played in that position but it was only marginally more successful than Odoffin as a striker.

With regard to Parkes, from what I'm hearing, he was about two stone over-weight - hopefully he's well on the way to correcting that.

For Kelly, so far he's only been brought in as a substitute around the 60-70th minute.  Coming into a shifting backline is something he seems to have struggled with. Maybe he'll be better starting there?

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Another LB/LWB incoming.😂

Seriously though, if he is getting another player signed, he's surely going for a CB this time.

Striker, imho. 

Seriously though, will be stunned if it isn't a centre-back. Obileye inexperienced, Fitzwater inconsistent, Parkes disappeared off the face of the earth and Kelly who isn't good enough based on what I've seen in the past. Fitzwater as a back-up right-back is fine based on what I saw last season, haven't watched too much of him this season.

Really poor squad building from Martindale. Stacking us in certain positions while leaving us painfully short in others. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the summer arrivals are gone before the end of the window.

2 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

Striker, imho. 

Seriously though, will be stunned if it isn't a centre-back. Obileye inexperienced, Fitzwater inconsistent, Parkes disappeared off the face of the earth and Kelly who isn't good enough based on what I've seen in the past. Fitzwater as a back-up right-back is fine based on what I saw last season, haven't watched too much of him this season.

Really poor squad building from Martindale. Stacking us in certain positions while leaving us painfully short in others. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the summer arrivals are gone before the end of the window.

Could punt a few just now from what i've seen so far, and we wouldn't miss them, or even remember they were here in a month's time, without racking our brains.

Had big expectations on Lewis and Williamson, but neither has stood out, in fact the new guys just in the door have stood out more, and one of them only came on for about 10 mins. Montano looked decent but got injured fairly early on, before we could really see how he'd do in league games. Jury is out on Parkes, as Durnford said he was overweight, so hopefully he'll be a bit more mobile losing a stone or two.

The big fella who went straight out on loan to Arbroath seems to be doing well though, hopefully he'll be good enough to come into the team in January. His physique up front is something we lack just now, and he looks pretty decent with the ball at his feet too, like JET was, maybe even better.

46 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Jury is out on Parkes, as Durnford said he was overweight, so hopefully he'll be a bit more mobile losing a stone or two.

Wouldn't hold your breath there, he can be a good defender but he definitely won't be the quickest. 

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Had big expectations on Lewis and Williamson, but neither has stood out

Could really have done without these two as they look set to contribute little and get in the way of the contracted players. (I hope I'm proven completely wrong on this, of course).

14 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Could really have done without these two as they look set to contribute little and get in the way of the contracted players. (I hope I'm proven completely wrong on this, of course).

Too early to judge - didn't really see much of either of these guys in the cup games and pretty much nothing since.

Lewis looked handy against Brechin but poor in the following game (Alloa?) as far as I can recall. Williamson will be in direct competition with Holt so it really depends on how the latter continued to perform.

They're definitely both very good players. By "contribute little" I wasn't meaning they're incapable of contribution but rather that they might not get much opportunity to. It's possible the current squad has an over-saturation in both their preferred positions. Most likely I'm spouting crap with this, though, as much more knowledgeable people than me signed them. So good chance their roles will become clearer in time and both will prove important for us.

27 minutes ago, FreedomFarter said:

They're definitely both very good players. By "contribute little" I wasn't meaning they're incapable of contribution but rather that they might not get much opportunity to. It's possible the current squad has an over-saturation in both their preferred positions. Most likely I'm spouting crap with this, though, as much more knowledgeable people than me signed them. So good chance their roles will become clearer in time and both will prove important for us.

If the parent clubs are paying their wages then the risk in having them in the squad is minimal. Last year we had a bit more of an issue with suggested expectations over McCrorie's playing time which seemed to impact us.

For a side who often were described as bullying the midfield in recent years; we've looked decidedly "powder-puff" so far this season. That hasnt been helped by the somewhat card-happy refereeing though.

2 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

Aye Williamson did well at Arbroath and Lewis had good reviews from Gerrard when he was there, but neither have played at this level till now, and so far neither stood out as anything special to get excited about. Both young players though and will hopefully settle in and show us what they're about. Lewis has only played against Sevco in the league then came off injured though, and apart from a wild challenge on Hagi i can't really remember anything from him that game.

On 24/08/2021 at 20:42, ATLIS said:

COVID outbreak at Rangers could mean McCrorie has to play in goals for their European game :D Good fucking luck to them

The experience with us may have given him the confidence to improve this season, who knows, happened with Liam Kelly. He was a completely different keeper coming back to us in his 2nd stint, after being on loan with us in League One. We'll soon find out tonight anyway.